Building a LoRa APRS 439Mhz iGate (Part 2)

Pretty much as i thought then! Thanks buddy :slight_smile:

Alan

2 Likes

If you look at the public logs you do see the CRC errors on several igates.

I have been wondering at what point do the Lora igates start causing problems for each other, if a lot of igates are sending APRS objects to RF, and then those objects also get digipeated. In a busy area that could be a lot of traffic.
I wonder if that point is now being reached producing CRC errors for multiple igates.
I think turning off sending APRS objects to RF will significantly reduce Lora traffic.
But that’s just me pondering :joy:

1 Like

Yes I have been thinking about this too. My iGate does TX objects and messages to RF, but I have a 20km filter on it to try and reduce the noise. But even then I wonder whether it’s actually of any use to anyone else? I could just as well set it to RX only and just upload to APRS-IS…

There has even been an interesting discussion locally here in WB about how frequently trackers are beaconing and potentially jamming up the frequency and causing collisions. The default smart beacon settings in the tracker softwares are quite “chatty”… Maybe in an area with no other trackers it doesn’t matter, but down here there are quite a few in regular daily use in cars.

1 Like

APRS filters are going to become more important I think for Lora igates. It’s a nice problem to have though with proliferation of Lora igates :grinning:
I suppose the filtering an igate uses depends on the traffic in your area.
Coverage is still fairly sparse in GW/NW land so less of a problem.

1 Like

And if they include “WIDE1-1” in their Path, they may trigger several digipeats after each beacon. That may be useful in remote areas, but from the slopes of Winter Hill there are now 18 IGates within direct range, so digipeating certainly isn’t needed.

1 Like