Building a LoRa APRS 439Mhz iGate (Part 2)

That presumably explains the odd messages that I saw from M0JKS-1 a few minutes ago?

1 Like

:joy: yes I noticed M0JKS-1 appeared in the stations received in the last 30min for MW0PDV-14, but not showing on APRS, so queried M0JKS-1 last 30 minute list. It seems the list includes stations heard via APRS though, I think :joy:

2 Likes

Slightly concerned that this facility seems to allow anyone to change some of the settings with no security.

1 Like

Good point, until very recently they were just queries, but the latest update now includes the ability to control the new low power mode

1 Like

Amazing to see how many LoRa igates etc there are now.

6 Likes

Well, part one of 2E0JWA-10 Igate, Oldham North East is done… Just awaiting delivery of the board now, so i can do the next bit!

Built in the case that my tracker board was delivered in… single 18650 for a small buffer power, and an IPEX to SMA tail for the antenna connector. ill cut a hole for the USB socket when the board arrives so I get a position for it, then its fully done… Should be Online this week!

Alan

4 Likes

This seems interesting: would you be able to enlighten me how you actually send the query?

1 Like

You send a message to the iGate. So for example I use APRS.fi app and so send a message for example ?APRSS to my iGate and it will return a signal report for the last received station.

There is information on the setting up Lora APRS messaging with your tracker on Richard’s G3CWI’s wiki here

https://sotaloraaprs.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

It’s now on its fifth circumnavigation and should appear over Scotland again tomorrow (Sunday). Its HF WSPR beacons (SP0LND-32) showed it over the mid-Atlantic today, but the 70cm LoRa beacons (SP0LND-12) were last heard from Chicago yesterday.
This is its projected trajectory - crossing Scotland during daylight hours (it relies on solar panels for power) then heading over the North Sea toward Denmark:

From an altitude of 12km it has a horizon radius around 400km, so lots of our iGates should pick it up.

4 Likes

On that trajectory, my temporary Mull i-gate MM0EFI-15 may see some action.

4 Likes

I am Pleased to announce the First of the Oldham Amateur Radio club Members Igates is now online, Welcome to the Network M1CVL-10 Igate Located just off JNC19 of the M62!!

Cheers

Alan

7 Likes

I want to have a go building my own igate. Following through this thread is a bit of a challenge for me. :slight_smile:

Is there anywhere which describes what needs to be followed or are you planning to publish a description of what you did?

Ideally I would like to build a portable igate I can add to my campervan but a static one would be a good start

John

5 Likes

The simplest thing you could do John is to buy this:

It will give you 2 of these: WiFi LoRa 32(V3) – Heltec Automation - which you can use for your home and mobile iGates. Make sure you choose the 433 version called helpfully “433-510Glue stick”.

The boards have a USB C connector so can be powered with any modern phone charger (which is what I use for mine).

Load Ricardo’s software on to the boards using a PC, which is now very easy to do with his web interface: CA2RXU LoRa iGate Firmware Flasher (choose the"heltec_wifi_lora_32_v3" to match the boards linked above). Then configure the boards over wifi (the boards have a built in wifi access point which you can connect to with a laptop or your phone) as described here: 02. WebUI iGate Configuration · richonguzman/LoRa_APRS_iGate Wiki · GitHub. You may need a driver to get the web flasher to recognise the board (download here: CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs). Frequency in the UK is 439.912500Mhz.

The boards come with an ipex to sma connector and you can connect temporarily to a 2m/70cm colinear to see how it goes. You’ll need a code to upload packets to APRS-IS, but you can generate that using something like APRS Passcode Generator

That’s pretty much all there is to it. Have a go and if you get stuck i’m sure we can help here.

4 Likes

Hello all,

I am also interested if there is a chance to make a portable LoRa iGate … I would like to use a t-beam with gps. A few weeks ago I uploaded the iGate-software by CA2RXU to my t-beam but I could only enter fixed, static gps-coordinates but not use the gps (like in the tracker software).

Any hints if that is possible …

73 Martin
OE5REO

2 Likes

It’s not possible with the current firmware.

4 Likes

with any NEW phone charger

3 Likes

Any new good quality phone charger. Some of the cheaper ones have very high levels of ripple that can (and does) cause problems when they are used as a power supply as opposed to being used as a battery charger.

2 Likes

I think it’s 5 years since a phone I bought came with a charger. However, being a magpie I have a large collection of 2A and 1A USB chargers :wink:

2 Likes

James,

Many thanks, that’s really helpful. :slight_smile:

John

2 Likes