Building a LoRa APRS 439Mhz iGate (Part 2)

I tried it on a Heltec WiFi LoRa V3. Initially it appeared to work but there was something wrong. In the end I pinched your WiFi code and replaced the code in Rich’s latest version. That fixed the WiFi AP timeout. Results before and after below.

4 Likes

Heltec V3 running on a x30

Heltec Tracker running on a aliexpress 20cm 433mhz grey stick

Comparing the top packet am I right in thinking the signal is better on the x30 but the signal to noise is better on the grey stick?

1 Like

I don’t think you should draw any conclusions on such limited data.

1 Like

true enough.

2 Likes

No, the RSSI and SNR is better on the X30 because it’s less negative (by 29dB and 18.75dB respecively)
That’s a lot, but Richard is correct about limited data

Rick

3 Likes

LoRa APRS was fairly busy down here this last weekend, with quite a few positions digipeated via M0JKS-1 (which is just over 200 kms from my iGate) to add to the ones heard directly.

4 Likes

For my new digipeater I have bought a Waveshare Solar Charger (D). I have been testing this in various scenarios and I think I have discovered a problem. The Solar Charge chip is set for an MPPT voltage of 6 Volts with no way to adjust this. My panel is nominally 12 - 15 Volts and the charger switches off when the panel is in full sunlight. There is no easy way to change this as the relevant components are the size of grains of sand. Bodging a resistor in is unlikely to end well. I could get a 6 Volt panel, or another charge board. Any ideas?

1 Like

From the link you posted, it suggests that the solar panel input is self adaptive from 6 - 24v.

Maybe yours is faulty and could be exchanged…?

1 Like

Is does “suggest” that. But a look at the circuit shows that it can’t actually do what is suggested.

2 Likes

Some tropospheric ducting on 70cm. Must be the high pressure system.

2 Likes

Further thought is that switching the panel off in full sunlight might not be a fault. If the charge controller doesn’t need that energy to charge the battery it would have to dump it as heat so disconnecting the panel makes sense. It also leads to the possibility that panels could actually be too large? Is there an optimal size? I suspect that more sophisticated charge controllers can harvest the energy better? I read suggestions elsewhere that the CN3791 might not really be an MPPT controller? Having to “define” the MPPT point in the hardware is a giveaway. @m1geo probably knows about this stuff.

2 Likes

For simple applications, CV tracking is probably sufficient, though it loses efficiency in low light situations.
The CN3791 uses a resistive voltage divider to set the target working voltage of the panel, so if you have a mismatched one it would be simple to change (or use a potentiometer to allow an adjustment range).

The chip aims for 1.205 volts to be present on pin 6 - look on your module for a pair of resistors dividing the panel voltage.

Rick

2 Likes