Bruce, W2SE has become a Silent Key

It is with deep regret that I announce the passing of long time SOTA Activator & Chaser W2SE Bruce Babcock. Bruce passed away yesterday (3/1) at Hackensack Hospital after an illness. Bruce was the # 1 Chaser in the W2 Association with over 35,000 chaser points, although it does not appear that Bruce had been logging on the SOTA website since 2020 so I am sure his final stats were probably closer to 40,000. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Brian N2BTD

12 Likes

Ugh, more bad news :sob:

RIP Bruce - hope to QSO with you again in the next life.

2 Likes

many pleasant exchanges with Bruce, always glad to hear him calling. Very sorry to see this news, miss him in the pile-upsā€¦ fred kt5x

3 Likes

Bruce was my #1 Chaser with 737 QSOā€™s logged. We became friends after meeting at Hamvention a few years back. We texted and talked on the phone regularly and he especially enjoyed getting ā€œFirst RFā€ when I activated a new one. He would listen for me on all bands and he gave me quite a few NJ contacts on 10 and 12 meters. He always texted ā€œSafe hike downā€ after I was QRT and on the tougher hikes he would check in later to make sure I was ok. When I found out he was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, he dismissed it as a ā€œwork in progressā€. Iā€™m sure going to miss hearing ā€œW2SEā€ in the pileups.

7 Likes

Sad and shocking news Iā€™m very sorry to read about.
Many times I heard Bruce chasing on 20m CW and he actually chased me several times.
Iā€™ll miss him.
My condolences to Bruceā€™s family and friends.

Guru

1 Like

Thatā€™s more sad news. I had so many email exchanges with Bruce over the years. He was a brilliant monitor of the SOTA services and was always there reporting problems or issues so we could fix things sooner.

I donā€™t think we ever had a QSO but I my email inbox will be different now I know there wont be any more message or suggestions from him.

Condolences to friends and family.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, more sad news and another prominent character now missing from SOTA who will be missed by many. My condolences to his family and friends.

Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Bruce W2SE is now silent key, my condolences to his family.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Bruce chased me many times on my activations in the Appalachian Mountains. RIP, OM.

Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to Bruceā€™s family and friends. Iā€™ve only been activating a couple of years, but Bruce was a regular and familiar call. Rest in peace Bruce.

Ken, W4KAC

Prayers and condolences for Bruceā€™s family. Was always great to hear him in the chase and to get him in my logs. He will be missed.
73 Gary

Iā€™m sorry to hear this. Heā€™s in my SOTA log 62 times and one that I always anticipated working. He will be missed and I only wish I had known him better in person.
Charlie NJ7V

1 Like

Sad, Sad news. Bruce is in my log many, many times. He will be missed.

final 73ā€™s my friendā€¦

Pete
WA7JTM

Iā€™m really sad to hear this news concerning Bruce. I got to meet and know Bruce while at the Hamvention over the years and enjoyed hearing him both in the chaser pack plus working him when we were activating a summit. He will be missed for sure.

Gary A. - W0MNA

Once more, weā€™ve lost one of our SOTA family special people. Many times Bruce would chase me and work me on several different bands just to let me know how prorogation was going. And if he couldnā€™t hear me, Iā€™d get a text asking to go to this or that band and try. I often mistook his call in a pileup for a S2S which Iā€™m sure tickled him to no end. We will still listen for his call and maybe even answer it one day on that Supreme Summit, GOD/-001. Dean ~ K2JB

2 Likes

Thatā€™s Bruce to a tee! But in my case it would be all sorts of things heā€™d tried and observed about the servers and software. I never met him or spoke to him, just the back and forth via email and the more I read the more I know I will miss someone Iā€™ve never even met.

2 Likes

So sad to hear this. Met Bruce at Hamvention also and he would almost always shout
out ā€˜Hi Karenā€™ on 60m SSB after I worked someone. Sometimes chat after the activator left
the frequency. Such a friendly, nice guy. Sure will miss him and hearing his call. :cry: He
would also make sure he got to work a bunch of us on Monte Sano Mtn in Huntsville, AL in August. Condolences to his family. RIP Bruce :cry:

Very sad to hear this. I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce one time over Zoom, but wish I had the chance to get to know him better. My condolences to his friends and family.

Jonathan

This is sad indeed. Bruce was there for most of my activations for many years, and I will miss him. Like a few other activators, I mistook his call for an S2S several times.

I just re-read his QRZ page - itā€™s very interesting, and clearly he loved SOTA. I could feel it ever time he called!

73 Carey/George
KX0R

Liz and I never felt like our logs were complete unless we heard Bruce. Even though I didnā€™t get the chance to meet him in person, we became friends. During some of Lizā€™s tough times he called me with words of comfort and gave me good council. As you know, I lost dear Liz on February 26th and now friend Bruce passed away only three days later.

May he rest in peace,
Ron, NR3E, in body
Liz, K1LIZ, in spirit

4 Likes