Ben Nevis GM/WS-001 16 MAY 2022

The motorhome passed it’s shakedown tests with flying colours.

Everything is still go with my Scottish SOTA trip.

Radio wise I’m packing my FT817 and MTR-2B (20/30) for HF and my FT60 for VHF. I plan to use the FT817 for GM/WS-339 on Sunday afternoon. I’ll pack the microphone in order to attempt 40m SSB, I will of course also do CW. Weather forecast looks sort of OK, so I’ll try to do a few bands.

For GM/WS-001, I will take my MTR-2B and most likely concentrate on 20m. I realise that I will probably be excluding UK callers, but I don’t want to pack a 40m sized dipole and equipment. Maybe 30m will work to some of the extremities of the UK. I’ll try 2FM with the FT60.

I do hope to get as many QSOs as time and conditions allow - please listen out for me!

73, Colin

6 Likes

I hope you find a turd free spot around the old observatory buildings if you need shelter to operate from!!

3 Likes

Good luck on your trip, I wont hear you from here on 2m, but have a safe trip. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks all for the QSOs this afternoon from GM/WS-339. Despite lousy band conditions I managed plenty of QSOs, and nice to work several friends too - @G4CPA, @G4OIG and @EA2BD amongst them.

Tomorrow’s target, motorhome patiently waiting (lower left)

The journey has been fine and thanks to @MM0FMF for the lunch stop recommendation!

73, Colin

3 Likes

Hi Colin,
great signals this afternoon, true 599, despite a lot of static crashes here due to a local storm.
I’ll try to catch you again tomorrow, if I’m back in time after the school.

Have fun in your luxury van, GL es 73, Iggy

2 Likes

WX awful on Ben Nevis.
Worked 4 on 2m FM with the handheld transceiver.

Sorry to those who would’ve worked me on HF, it simply wasn’t possible today.

Will write a report later.

73, Colin

14 Likes

Oh dear,
hope you’re soon back in the civilization safe and sound!
Glad you make it, sometimes a simple handheld transforms into the most valuable rig, congrats for qualifying and glad to read you. I was keeping an eye on the spots and felt a bit worried for not to have seen you there yet.

Have a proper meal in a wet place to celebrate it!
73 de Ignacio

1 Like

Weather report for Ben Nevis area 16-May-2022

The monsoon rains normally start end of May!

2 Likes

Thanks for your concern, I’m safely back at the camper.

I think my next move will be a shower and then a visit to the shop to buy some memorabilia.

73, Colin

7 Likes

May and June are the months when I have had the most good weather in that area, but its the West Highlands so there is no guarantee! I remember reading that there are several possible translations of its name: venomous mountain, ugly mountain, cloud-capped mountain, terrible mountain just for starters, and none of them suggest any reason for optimism!

5 Likes

Agreed, as usually happened when I lived in Fort William - BUT - returned tonight from the Western Isles having completed only one of about five planned activations in 9 days … :umbrella: Planning to go next time in November to guarantee much better weather…… :rofl:

1 Like

Cripers! That’s the month when even serious climbers stick to low level walks! ISTR it was called the “padding season!” I used to like to go there in September, the weather was often reasonable and the midges were less of a bother…and so were the tourists!

3 Likes

If you look closely you can see the GM4NFI hexbeam in the photo.
GM/WS 339 summit is about 20 mins walk from my shack well when I was younger noew more like 30 mins.

Dave
GM4NFI

2 Likes