BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle

Antonio,
Markus told me that he will be away until the end of June and that he will update his online shop when he returns.
So either have patience or make something suitable yourself :wink:

BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle the first use

Introduction

Since my very first radio days CW is my favourite mode. Trough the years I used lots of different keys, starting with “Straight Key”, then “Bug” Vibroplex style and for the last 30 years one venerable Bencher paddle is sitting on my shack table at home.

When started SOTA activations my choice was a Palm Mini key.

For me it was always easy to adapt and handle any kind of paddle, but since two years ago things got a little twisted when I was diagnosed of Parkinson´s disease.

Altough I keep it “controlled” with a normal and active life, gym practice, daily walks and specific exercises for the disease, I haven´t tremor, but things goes slower than before in the right side of my body…

New paddle choice

Lately I started to have sometimes troubles to run the Palm Mini accurately, it is an excellent key, but I was the problem! After a failed test with a key made by me I decided to search for a new one from commercial manufacturing.

Fortunately Heinz HB9BCB wrote in the reflector about BamaKey TPIII that was very inspiring for me. Then, after lot of read and comparison I decided to buy the model TPIII becuase it looks strong, small size, lightweight and afordable price.

I bought it online; the proccess was quick ,easy and accurate, but, the wait time to receive the paddle really seemed a bit long, altough it arrived together with some sweets that my wife enjoyed… Well done Markus , always is good idea make a XYL happy!!

The package just opened

In the meantime I asked Markus DL6YYM that I wanted to use my paperboard writing pad to fixed the paddle to it, he kindly and quickly answered me with some ideas to do it using the magnets in the back of the paddle… Nevertheless I finally fixed the paddle with two small screws taking advantage of a little thread free from locking screws in the back side of TPIII (see photos)

Screws detail (select the length according to the tickness of notepad material)

Back side of note pad with paddle in place

BaMaKey TP-III field experience

Once the TP-III was ready I only did a check at home to see if it worked properly with dot/dash in the correct side so I didn’t need any changes to the factory settings.

The first use of the paddle was during our recent activation of EA2/NV-053 Mt Malkasko together with my SOTA mate Ignacio EA2BD who was the one who made the first ever QSO with it working S2S with DM3FAM/P.

After him, I then had a long operation to feel a new grade of paddle with magnet tension that I never used before because all of my previous paddles were with return springs system.

TP-III is mechanicaly strong to withstand my new pounding style to run a paddle but instead has soft and precise touch, without “bouncing” effect that due my Parkinson´s I sometimes had with the springs ones.

In conclusion, I was more than two hours running CW without fatigue, enjoying the precise and comfortable paddle in a summit enviroment that sometimes, ergonomically speaking, is not the perfect place to practice the radio operation.

For me the best feature of this “small jewel” is the magnet tension technique and his rugged construction excellent for /P backpak use.

BaMaKeY TP-III in action

Finally

I have no business relationships with BAMa Tech.

I write this report only to offer my personal experience and satisfaction improving my handle capabilities while using the BaMaKeY TP-III as Parkinson´s patient.

To buy or not to buy it would be your own decision.

I want to express my gratitude for the patience of chasers/activators with my mistakes in handling the key and one more time, thank you Ignacio EA2BD for sharing with me the SOTA activations, it’s always a pleasure talking with you when hiking to the summits.

Thanks you very much to all of you who read this and see you on the bands.

73s

Jorge

EA2LU

18 Likes

Jorge,

My “quick and dirty” solution with a steel washer enables the angle of the paddle to be optimally adjusted from case to case and works perfectly for me.

• Steel washer ø 50/19 mm
  • 3M Scotch Extreme Fasteners (black, transparent), 25.4 x 76.2 mm

73, Heinz

12 Likes

Hi Heinz,
As always a very simple and ingenious solution!!
It is more flexible than mine, but I´m planning to change my writing board by one made with thin steel and painted with epoxy powder paint.
Definetely It is better solution be able move the paddle right to the board to put it into the backpak to avoid levers damage and also to find the best angle depending the case, as you said.
Thanks for sharing Heinz I will show mine when finished.
Jorge
EA2LU

Hi Jorge,
thanks for sharing your evaluation of that nice key and for allowing me to use it for the first time during our activation in EA2/NV-053.

Jorge, it is always a pleasure to go out with you, chat and feel in good company to face any adventure in the wild.
Excuse me the off topic, but just let me put an example of one of these silly adventures.

When we arrived in that summit, we faced a non common difficulty; the summit was fully occupied by horses.

We managed to find a clear spot and here you see Jorge ready to start the activation:

I separated and found another place for my station. When the activation was over and I joined Jorge back again, he was a bit disgusted. The paddle worked excellent for him, but those horses approached him during the activation and tried to chew the bright green supporting rope around his pole!

He needed to stand several times shouting and waving to throw them out!

Looking forward to our next adventure together.
73 de Ignacio

10 Likes

Hi All,

Received very quickly from Markus DL6YYM this nice mini paddle :+1:

Like Jorge @EA2LU I received the same gifts and XYL jumped to the sweet corner :candy: :rofl:

Many thanks to Heinz @HB9BCB for the idea !! :+1:

I find a steel washer but a bit bigger ø54/20x3.5mm

The Paddle does not move at all and I can reduce the notepad size now :wink:

Of a very high quality of manufacture and after the disappearance on the market of the famous Mini Palm I think that we will have to rely on this BaMaKey TP-III. I had no adjustments to make, it was perfect at the first time.

Try-it

73, Éric

7 Likes

Hi guys Éric and Jorge…!

Thanks for sharing your feelings with your new BaMaTek TP-lll paddles… I agree with everything you guys have said. By far the best paddles I have used in over 45 years of hamming…

I glued a piece of metal to the IKEA breadboard that holds the paddles and the little rig. The 4 magnets on the bottom give a rock solid feel…

Here´s a pic:

73´s Siggi TF3CW

9 Likes

$199.00 USD for one shipped. Did anyone in the States ever get an answer on a CONUS distributor? 200 bones for a key is spicy in my book.

2 Likes

Re Possibility of a U.S. Dealer:

According to Markus DL6YYM, the current situation is as follows

• Attempts made by BaMa Tech to find a dealer in the U.S.A. have failed
  • BaMa Tech continues to strive to make the shipping conditions of group orders as accommodating as possible. So the motto is that asking doesn’t cost anything.
  • Unfortunately, the supply chains of required materials and standard components are severely restricted due to the current situation on the world market, which in some cases leads to horrific price increases. So we can only hope that this does not have too drastic effects on the availability and prices of future product series from BaMa Tech.

73, Heinz

I’m game.

Hello,
Here another happy user of this little jewel!
Thanks Heinz for sharing this key.

As others stated it is robust, well built, nice looking, clever designed and soft enjoyable touch.

It arrived fast in a week.

I hope they can keep gathering the raw materials and distributing to the ham community as it is an excellent choice for portable ops.

In order to hold it to my paper log I use a small metal pad that I just put in the back side of my paper log (without any glue), then the magnetic force from the paddle in the top side holds the metal without loosing and this way the key is kept in place.

After the activation I can release both the paddle and the metal pad to store them.

VY 73 de Ignacio

6 Likes

Mine is the No. 150 - all in gray … it is just great!

But - The key has a decisive disadvantage:

If I now morse crap… I can no longer blame it on the key :thinking:

73 Armin

11 Likes

Did you make the pads to record the data? Love the set up with the paddle.
John Paul // AB4PP

1 Like

Paddle support - Increase in the coefficient of friction

My universal flight deck, which is used with the KX3/KX2/MTR3B either directly attached or also separated from the TRX, has a paddle support raised by 12 mm with a width of only 26 mm. This is chosen because the flight deck also serves as a cover on the MTR3B.

The underside of the BaMaKey TP-III is covered with a clear protective film (part of the design), which results in just enough frictional force on the slightly too narrow and smooth steel support on my flight deck.

A significant increase in the coefficient of friction could be achieved when the steel support was also covered with a thin adhesive tape (e.g. 3M Scotch all-purpose tape, transparent).
This simple measure works very well, even if the paddle is exceptionally strongly angled so that only about “2.5 magnets” can be effective. (Patent application still pending, hi).

3 Likes

Two pretty little helpers are now available for the BaMaKey TP-III (or other paddles with magnets):

• Clamp holder
  • Knee-strip

You can find these on the BaMaTech homepage under key accessories.

3 Likes

Thank you for your note Heinz!
I’ve ordered the Clamp holder later that day and received it just few days later.
And yesterday I made my first activation with it on DL/BE-003, and it worked great in a big pile-up.
Kudos to Markus DL6YYM, for those great products!
73, Mario DJ2MX (9A4MX,N0MX,E73DX)

4 Likes

Now everything is clear, Mario.
I thought to myself that the fun that could be heard in your keying could not only be because of the TP-III-red to TP-III-red QSO, hi.

2 Likes

Nice to get home this evening to see a package has arrived from Markus.

BaMaKey TPIII Ser 182 and clamp holder, total cost £137 posted to the UK. Not had a chance to use but the craftsmanship and design is outstanding, love the quirky box that houses the key and the colours will look well in the shack or on a summit.

Some photos below with the Palm Radio Pico Paddle for size comparison.

Graeme

6 Likes

It looks great! This is going to be my next purchase but I have to wait awhile I’ve spent a bit to much on paddles in the last while haha.

73 De VE6JTW, Jesse

2 Likes

Any change you want to sell your Pico?:sunglasses:

3 Likes