Back on a summit after broken hip!

I hiked to a summit today for the first time since I broke my hip on 29 June 2021. Not a very significant summit, 1 point, about 600’ of elevation gain over 1.25 miles. But it was a beautiful day and the view from W6/NC-407 looking over the san Francisco Bay was perfectly clear, the sky a bright blue, and the temperature perfect for hiking and activating. I was quite rusty with my CW but the activators were as patient and courteous as always. I did send “QRS pls” one time and the chaser slowed right down to my speed - thank you very much. Took my time going up and down - just don’t want another fracture - not hurrying was a good thing. At the end of the activation my hip was a little sore. Time to begin planning additional activations - gradually going a little further and a little higher. And as always, many thanks to all the chasers!

25 Likes

Great effort on your part Joe after the broken hip. Well done. :grinning: :beers:

cheers: Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi, Joe.

Good to get an S2S with you this morning. I hope your recovery continues and the ability
to hike improves. Part of the SOTA magic is getting to take it all in from the top.
Until our next QSO…
David N6AN

1 Like

I’ve just checked where that hill is - overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge. It must have been a good day for you. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t catch you up there… Sometimes it’s a real PIA keeping HOA happy here in the San Fernando Valley in the townhouse complex. Got to keep it stealthy. But I’ll keep an eye out for you in the future. Congrats on getting back out there, hope it was an awesome day to summit, be outside, and doing one of your favorite hobbies. de N6MMA

1 Like

Congratulations that’s very impressive in such a short recovery time!

The Sota CW Chasers and ssb chasers are the best out there! I hope to get you in the log some day or a s2s.

73 de VE6JTW

Congratulations!! That’s a good turn around time from injury to activity.

Howard KE6MAK

1 Like

I am glad to see that you are healing. Be careful, go slow and in no time you will be back on the Goat trails. Guess I will have to wait for you to do a 6 pointer.
Jack kb7hh

1 Like

Best wishes. Be active and take care. I hope all will be fine in the future.
73 Ludwig