Appalachian Trail long distance hiking w/ SOTA

That’s a good point. SOTA CW QSOs are usually almost as brief as contest exchanges. If you don’t catch the other guy’s name or QTH it doesn’t really matter. Although you have to exchange reports you are not required to log them for your SOTA log upload. Don’t worry about all the fancy pro-signs, if you can copy the incoming callsign correctly, you have [along with time of day, band, mode] the minimum requirement for your log.

Here’s a typical exchange when I’m an activator:
cq sota de g8cpz
do4sky
do4sky ga ur 559 559 bk
ga tks ur 569 569 bk
r r 73 tu e e

Many chasers know the summit ref as they already checked alerts or spots, but I send it every 5 minutes or so, or when someone asks me like this …
ur ref?
my ref g/ld058 g/ld058 ok? bk

Well, okay, I must say that you’ve kind of convinced me to give CW a try and see if I make enough progress until we fly over. So I will postpone my decision regarding my gear a little bit. It’s always good to have a goal to achieve, I guess.

Anyway, I will keep you updated. I’m pretty stunned receiving so much feedback, didn’t expect that!

4 Likes

I can recommend joining the Long Island CW Club if you want to learn CW. They’re a thoroughly nice bunch of people and you’ll get a lot of support there.

2 Likes

They are a dedicated bunch and you can also jump in and out of lessons as you fancy. I decided to bite the bullet and become a lifetime member and haven’t regretted it.

M.

3 Likes

That’s what I did as well. At the moment, I’m struggling to fit the classes I want to attend in between work and everything else, but that’s why their approach really suits me. I attended loads of classes during the autumn and as a result I’m down to less than $1/class now in terms of how much they have costed me. Can’t complain about that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you considered (tr)uSDX by Manuel DL2MAN.de I would say this might be your answer to light low power consumption HF SSB TRX at 5W.

Antenna wise I would consider EFHW4010 either in short version (~12mtr wire with coil) covering 40/20/10 or long version (~20mtr wire no coil) covering 40/20/15/10. I am happy to assist with a build.

On longer trails I would consider solar power for your radio/mobile/GPS/powerbanks/tent light. 20-30W small panel should do.

73 Marek

1 Like

If you pass through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or New York send me an email at dnaprstek@gmail.com and I’ll make sure someone if not myself is on 2m FM to spot you (and chase). My work schedule is a little crazy, if not me AJ2I could probably chase you, and N2YTF in New York will defenitely chase you. Posting Alerts, even if the timeframe is very vauge, helps alot. 2 meter FM simplex can be quiet in this area, but we do have some great chasers, they will go out of the way to listen for you, and Alerts will help them alot.

I can also bring supplies, radio or otherwise if you need anything hiking through the area. I’m pretty sure there are other “trail angels” in the area, but they wont know what a BNC to SMA adapter is lol.

Dave Naprstek K2CZH
(Located in W2/NJ)

PS:
Appalachian Trail Summits I’ve Done:
W3/PD-007 Snowy Mountain (Good propogation south into W4V)
W3/PH-001 Berk’s County HP (Renamed from Camp Blue Mtn South 2021)
W3/PH-005 Lehigh County HP (New Summit as of 2021)
W3/PO-029 Smiths Gap Benchmark (Renamed 2021)
W3/PO-025 Nazareth Reservoir Mtn (Slight detour off trail)
W2/NJ-003 Kittatinny Mtn (Slight detour off trail)
W2/NJ-001 High Point
W2/GC-076 Sterling Benchmark (Not sure where the AT enters) Expect Loud booms from nearby Army Base
W2/GC-054 West Mountain Mtn
W2/GC-077 Bear Mountain Mtn (The busiest summit ever)
W1/MB-001 Mount Greylock (Very bad 2 meter QRM bring a band pass filter)

2 Likes

Lukas, I believe you are permitted to use full US privileges since you have a CEPT license. I do not see any restrictions based on license class in the FCC part 97 Rules.
“or who holds a CEPT radio-amateur license”
Look up Part 97, section 97.301, paragraph (a) is V-U-SHF and (b) is HF.

And the first paragraph here from ARRL:

I would not consider a 5 month backpacking trip to be an “extended period”. It’s not like you’re getting a resident alien card, getting an apartment and finding a job. You’re on vacation.

You could always contact the ARRL for clarification.

GL
Dave AA3EE

1 Like

Already 3 months have passed and we’re in the final phase of preparations for the trip. Just wanted to give you a quick update on my progress:

Last Tuesday, I finished my General Class. I will be operating as N2HAT.

I did some more research for a lightweight radio gear and found the (tr)uSDX. It arrived today, didn’t test it yet, but it’s really what I would call a ultralight TX :slight_smile: Also, I built an ultralight 40-20m EFHW as antenna. Together, it weights ~250 grams which is acceptable for me. The (tr)uSDX will be powered by a PD Powerbank and a 12V-PD-Spoofer.
Not included yet is a CW paddle. With all the preparations in the past weeks which needed to be done, plus learning for the General class, there wasn’t time for making progress in CW. Now, with most things settled, I’ll try my best to get back to a learning routine for CW.

Just another few words about the route: We will start in the Whites, going northbound. In other words: It will be hard. We picked the toughest, but also one of the nicest, part of the AT right at the beginning of our hike. Realistically, I won’t have time for operating there (aside that all peaks are above treeline and I don’t carry a pole with me). The hike is - of course - our priority. Good thing about it: More time to learn CW :wink:

5 Likes

Hi Lukas,
It’s going to be a huge adventure, respect. Certainly it will often be difficult to send off a spot. It would therefore make sense for you to use a specific qrg on which the chasers can find you. Possibly also certain times, e.g. 0min, 15min, 30min, 45min after a full hour. You can use the reflector with this thread and … if possible … announce your modalities in advance.

73 Chris

1 Like

Maybe it helps:

Have a nice trip

73 Armin

1 Like