Apologies to chasers of G/ NP-017 today

Sorry for the terrible Morse. My radio an SW/3b would only send continuous streams of dots or dashes. Luckily I had a paddle which I never use for activations. But this would only work if I held it in my hand in a certain position- I couldn’t hold it properly sending quick morse, and couldn’t work out how to adjust the speed properly and ended up with it working at a very very slow speed less than 12pm I think.

How some of you managed to copy or guess what I was sending I do not know.!!!

Thank you for your extreme patience.!:clap::clap::clap:

I’m activating G/NP-016 using my trusted other radio (hb-1b) and straight key.:+1:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your radio troubles David.

I was on Ingleborough at the same time as your activation, I only found out afterwards!

I wonder if you’ve tried your Venus radio on the bench? I briefly looked at a manual online and it seems as though it expects a mono plug on a straight key. If you have a stereo plug on your key and the ring is open circuit, I think the Venus would assume a paddle key is plugged in and produce dits (assuming tip is wired to key contact).

It would have been nice to have an S2S, but then I don’t ever check the spots whilst I’m activating!

Hope you get to the bottom of the issues.

73, Colin

Thanks Colin - I’ll try that when I get home in a couple of days. I’m in my camper van! But I’m sur I’ve used a straight key on the radio without problems before.

a lot of current radios decide on switch-on whether the key is a straight key or a paddle, based on whether the ring connection is grounded, which it appears to be on a mono plug. This can be simulated using a paddle by closing the dash lever while turning the radio on. your straight key with a stereo plug should work happily after that as the radio will have started in straight key mode. Another solution is to short the ring to the ground inside the plug.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a try later thanks Andrew. I’m now using a different rig but thanks for the information. It sounds good.

Firstly, yes, if you squeeze the paddles together and switch on the SW-3B will switch to Manual (it sends an M to indicate), however I’ve had a different problem show up. On a recent activation my Palm paddle (that I had used many times) would not key Dah’s. I happened to have a homebrew paddle in my kit and by holding it and levering to the side ever so slightly it would work. On checking at home I notice the key 3.5mm plug seems to be fairly loose in the socket and not it seems making contact now on the Dah side. First time I’ve come across a socket loosening over time but seems like it has and will need to be replaced (all the actual soldered connections to the circuit are checked and ok)

Dec
ei6fr

3 Likes