Anyone using FT8 for SOTA activations?

Hello Ingo @DH5ST.

I had also done FT8 in one or the other SOTA activation. But that was a while ago.

For FT8 I used my netbook (Lenovo Touch), Yaesu FT817 and a microHAM II interface and WSJT-X software. W-LAN was provided by the smartphone (hotspot) and for time synchronisation the programm Dimension 4. Is a lot of baggage for portable actions in this constellation. But it worked well.

73 Marcel DM3FAM

5 Likes

Hi Ingo
I’ve experimented with FT8 also hooking up my KX3 to a Raspberry Pi 3b attached to an 8" screen, which eliminates the need for an additional tablet or laptop. There is a picture of my setup on my QRZ.com page.
73, Fritz HB9CYX

3 Likes

Hello Ingo,
For the GPS dongle I am using a U-Blox7 device that I bought several years ago for another project. I got it on the usual on-line market for about can$12. The case is white and marked GPS/Glonass. There are similar looking devices still being offered. The case is a little wide, so it is difficult to plug in any other USB device into the adjacent port. For software I use NMEATime2 (https://www.visualgps.net/) as I had some difficulty initially getting Windows 10 to recognize the device.
This was discussed previously on this reflector.

Ian
VE6IXD

2 Likes

Good hint. Was my first thought. But couldn’t find something that I can connect to the computer (maybe I missed something).
Using a solution like this for setting the time manually as DG7ACF suggested.

73s
Ingo

1 Like

Tried same setup, which is working well… only a bit heavy for SOTA… so the intention is
to replace
FT817+microHAM+ Laptop + LF time synchro (about 5-6kg)
with
QDX+Raspberry Pi with interactive Screen (hopefully less than 1,5 kg)

• some SAT solution for accurate time

73s
Ingo

1 Like

Thank you Ian. Will look for something similar!

73s
Ingo

1 Like

My set-up is:

FT-817 + G4ZLP MiniProSC + Fusion 5 10" Windows 10 tablet running WSJT-Z

It’s probably the optimum set-up that combines lightweight/portable with ease-of-use/simplicity.

7 Likes

My equipment for FT8

73 Roger

6 Likes

my 2021 equipment.
(see also on QRZ.com for details)

5 Likes

… and in the field

73, Bruno, F6HHK

9 Likes

Hello Bruno,

what type of windows tablet are you using? I have sound problems with my HP Elitepad and WIN10. Therefore i still use an old msi u100 mini notepad.

73 de DH8IAT (Thomas)

4 Likes

Hi Fraser @MM0EFI

Was the shortest FT8 QSO for me :+1:

GM_WS_106 FT8 MM0EFI_P

took me 1 minute :wink:

73, Éric

5 Likes

Tks for the FT8 QSO yesterday Thomas :+1:
A pity no more activator on 60m FT8 the band is very quiet in daytime !
73, Éric

1 Like

Which summit was this Éric? I remember operating ft8 twice from a summit this year, once was freezing cold and the other was roasting hot!

1 Like

Hi thomas,

With an IC705 you don’t have to use an interface and Bruno use a Surface tablet with only an USB cable.

73, Éric

3 Likes

Fraser
Was on GM/WS-106 :wink: :low_brightness: :high_brightness:

2 Likes

That was a very hot day! I forgot my android tablet but managed ft-8 on my phone with no problems!

4 Likes

Remember reading somewhere that Raspberry Pi 3’s have not enough computing power for the FT8 deep decoding mode. The Rasp . Pi 4’s seem to be ok…

73s
Ingo

2 Likes

Hello great friend, I have used FT8 in FT4 activations, one of them with a Yaesu FT891 and the next 2 with the Yaesu FT817, laptop PC and XGGComms-4 sound card, very practical and easy to install, this my antenna is a QRPGUYS of 17m and 20m and KM4ACK EFHW, my experience is that this FT8 and FT4 is quite practical I think now for the following year I change my laptop PC for a Windows 10 Tablet since I have to simplify weight and make it easier I hope it will be a great experience for you 73

3 Likes

Does somebody have some experience with these Raspb. PI Touchscreens ?

1 Like