Anybody got a spare Palm Pico quick mount?

I know this is a long shot but anybody have spare Quick Mount base they could sell me?
I remember they were sold as a separate item, as well as being included with the key.
My one has lost a lug and now using BluTac to hold in place.

Or purchase a full Pico Paddle if you have fallen out of love with it!!

Drop me a PM or email from QRZ if you can help
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

2 Likes

That does look like something which could be 3d printed.

3 Likes

Good luck with that - they are like gold dust now. I’m always in fear of breaking mine or - as it’s so small - it falling down between the rocks as I use it sitting on a summit cairn.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a bit of “bricolage” this morning to avoid such a thing.
As usual, with staff I just had in my junk box.
imagen

imagen

I think it’s going to be difficult to find a 2nd hand mount base. If I were you, I’d glue a couple of good flat magnets to the base of the Palm paddle and I’d forget about the mount base.

Guru

2 Likes

I too sometimes take a clipboard to support my logbook and paddles but usually I resent [probably irrationally] the space it occupies in my crowded rucksack. So, my default method is to use a leg thigh strap [a small steel plate with velcro straps] on which to mount [magnetically] my Palm paddles.

Either way, I have to be careful when packing and unpacking not to drop and lose the precious paddles.

Re Gavin’s broken Palm Pico base - I agree, repair is probably the only option.

BTW Guru: I love the hat in your recent photo - it’s look very Spanish.

3 Likes

Hi Andy,
After seeing your posted picture, do you send your morse with your right hand and write on the logbook with your left hand?

2 Likes

Hi Gavin
i have a Pico quick mount which i do not use anymore. I will send it to you. I rarely used it, usually have the key on my legs, unfortunately i do not have the adjustment tool with it anymore…

I am a happy user of a BaMaKey TP III now - an excellent key and very robust !
73 s Bruno HB9CBR

5 Likes

Another Palm Radio long shot, anyone got the Code Cube that they no longer want or need and would be prepared to sell?

Dec
ei6fr

1 Like

Yes. Remember, we had a discussion about this method versus your method holding the pencil whilst paddling?

3 Likes

I found operating miniature paddles using a leg thigh strap a very flexible method. Using a 1m-length cable between paddles and KX2 I can paddle standing, sitting, leaning back, or lying on my side. In case anyone is tempted a homebrew solution is easily made. I re-purposed the two [unused] chassis mounting clamps for attaching the over-the-shoulder carry strap to the sides of the FT817, super-glued them to a small square metal plate and through which the single length of velcro passes. It folds up into a very small volume that fits in my KX2 carry bag. You can see it in the photo here …

In case you’re wondering what the larger metal plate (in the photo) is for - it’s my ‘cold weather’ option - the paddles and plate go inside my [right hand] winter jacket pocket and I keep my hand warm whilst paddling. It’s surprisingly easy to do.

1 Like

I am sorted now, thanks you so much guys. I have a couple of offers of help which is fantastic, from people who don’t use their Quick Mount base. Possibly the chance to purchase one from old stock, which would be the best result leaving everyone with a complete key!

I prefer to attach the mount directly to my KX2, so I rely on having a base. My fall back plan was to fix the Pico directly to the radio with some Velcro. I would love to try the BaMaKey TP III, but would probably have to move away from the key being fixed to the radio.

I do find the Pico to be a good design and reliable, works ok at low temperatures and quite robust. The contacts are good quality and protected from the weather. I expect it will give me many more years of service

Thanks again for your help
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

3 Likes

With the difference being that you can actually acquire gold dust. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I haven’t done a side by side comparison yet but radioadventuregear.de sells a base mount that looks similar to the Palm mount.

I’ll put them both side by side later today and report back…GL finding an original :wink:

73, Todd KH2TJ

Todd,

The size of this paddle seems to be comparable to the Palm MINI paddle. What is needed, however, is a quick mount for the Palm PICO paddle.
In the photo below from left to right: Palm Mini, Palm Pico, BaMaKey TP-III.

73, Heinz

5 Likes

Oh, thanks for the heads-up Heinz. I had forgotten about the Palm Pico.

73, Todd KH2TJ