Anybody got a spare Palm Pico quick mount?

I know this is a long shot but anybody have spare Quick Mount base they could sell me?
I remember they were sold as a separate item, as well as being included with the key.
My one has lost a lug and now using BluTac to hold in place.

Or purchase a full Pico Paddle if you have fallen out of love with it!!

Drop me a PM or email from QRZ if you can help
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

2 Likes

That does look like something which could be 3d printed.

3 Likes

Good luck with that - they are like gold dust now. Iā€™m always in fear of breaking mine or - as itā€™s so small - it falling down between the rocks as I use it sitting on a summit cairn.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing a bit of ā€œbricolageā€ this morning to avoid such a thing.
As usual, with staff I just had in my junk box.
imagen

imagen

I think itā€™s going to be difficult to find a 2nd hand mount base. If I were you, Iā€™d glue a couple of good flat magnets to the base of the Palm paddle and Iā€™d forget about the mount base.

Guru

2 Likes

I too sometimes take a clipboard to support my logbook and paddles but usually I resent [probably irrationally] the space it occupies in my crowded rucksack. So, my default method is to use a leg thigh strap [a small steel plate with velcro straps] on which to mount [magnetically] my Palm paddles.

Either way, I have to be careful when packing and unpacking not to drop and lose the precious paddles.

Re Gavinā€™s broken Palm Pico base - I agree, repair is probably the only option.

BTW Guru: I love the hat in your recent photo - itā€™s look very Spanish.

3 Likes

Hi Andy,
After seeing your posted picture, do you send your morse with your right hand and write on the logbook with your left hand?

2 Likes

Hi Gavin
i have a Pico quick mount which i do not use anymore. I will send it to you. I rarely used it, usually have the key on my legs, unfortunately i do not have the adjustment tool with it anymoreā€¦

I am a happy user of a BaMaKey TP III now - an excellent key and very robust !
73 s Bruno HB9CBR

5 Likes

Another Palm Radio long shot, anyone got the Code Cube that they no longer want or need and would be prepared to sell?

Dec
ei6fr

1 Like

Yes. Remember, we had a discussion about this method versus your method holding the pencil whilst paddling?

3 Likes

I found operating miniature paddles using a leg thigh strap a very flexible method. Using a 1m-length cable between paddles and KX2 I can paddle standing, sitting, leaning back, or lying on my side. In case anyone is tempted a homebrew solution is easily made. I re-purposed the two [unused] chassis mounting clamps for attaching the over-the-shoulder carry strap to the sides of the FT817, super-glued them to a small square metal plate and through which the single length of velcro passes. It folds up into a very small volume that fits in my KX2 carry bag. You can see it in the photo here ā€¦

In case youā€™re wondering what the larger metal plate (in the photo) is for - itā€™s my ā€˜cold weatherā€™ option - the paddles and plate go inside my [right hand] winter jacket pocket and I keep my hand warm whilst paddling. Itā€™s surprisingly easy to do.

1 Like

I am sorted now, thanks you so much guys. I have a couple of offers of help which is fantastic, from people who donā€™t use their Quick Mount base. Possibly the chance to purchase one from old stock, which would be the best result leaving everyone with a complete key!

I prefer to attach the mount directly to my KX2, so I rely on having a base. My fall back plan was to fix the Pico directly to the radio with some Velcro. I would love to try the BaMaKey TP III, but would probably have to move away from the key being fixed to the radio.

I do find the Pico to be a good design and reliable, works ok at low temperatures and quite robust. The contacts are good quality and protected from the weather. I expect it will give me many more years of service

Thanks again for your help
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

3 Likes

With the difference being that you can actually acquire gold dust. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I havenā€™t done a side by side comparison yet but radioadventuregear.de sells a base mount that looks similar to the Palm mount.

Iā€™ll put them both side by side later today and report backā€¦GL finding an original :wink:

73, Todd KH2TJ

Todd,

The size of this paddle seems to be comparable to the Palm MINI paddle. What is needed, however, is a quick mount for the Palm PICO paddle.
In the photo below from left to right: Palm Mini, Palm Pico, BaMaKey TP-III.

73, Heinz

5 Likes

Oh, thanks for the heads-up Heinz. I had forgotten about the Palm Pico.

73, Todd KH2TJ