Antenna for Snowdon?

Hi,

I am hoping for a couple of days in Snowdonia shortly, and weather permitting, hope to activate Snowdon. My usual first choice operation is 2M SSB, using a SB3 on the usual fishing pole mast. However, thinking back to the times I have been on Snowdon before, the weather has either been too cold to stay too long, or there have been people sitting everywhere. Now if the weather looks poor I will take my new Sotabeams MFD, and hope for a quick activation, but if the weather looks passable, would it be possible to get away with the mast and SB3. Is there room (and soft enough ground) to peg it out anywhere? Comments from any of the 134 previous activations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to G0IBE:
Hi Richard,
Although I’ve never done 2m SSB on Snowdon and considering the wx conditions recently I’d try your new MFD antenna. As you probably know it is advisable to stay away from the trig itself due to the crowds.

With such a prominent summit I’d stick with the MFD or whip antenna.

Good luck and I’ll listen out for you.

Roger MW0IDX

It is tight but you can do it. On the opposite side of the trig point from the cafe, you can “bed down” in the rocks and put an aerial up.

But if it’s really busy, you’ll have no problem generating a pile-up with a 2m FM handy with rubber duck and half a watt.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Quote: But if it’s really busy, you’ll have no problem generating a pile-up with a 2m FM handy with rubber duck and half a watt.

This might be the case if you alert before hand, i had problems making 4 contacts ona 2m Handheld with a rubber duck, i did not alert and it was in the week.

I operated just below the trig point using about 3w, my advise would be take at least an extra aerial with gain over the rubber duck, a vertical dipole held in the air will be better.

I nearly got interviewed by BBC Wales who were doing a programme on tourists, they had just packed up there gear though so no mention of SOTA! Sean M0GIA

In reply to G0IBE:

Hi Richard,

Search the reflector with G4YSS SNOWDON. John erected a full 80m dipole and worked 40, 80 and 160m on 27 March 2008 and 18 April 2009

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G0IBE:

Richard,

When Paul G4MD and I activated Snowdon we sat in the rocks just down from the summit. Paul used 2m FM from an 817 with a half wave vertical and had a pile up. I worked 23cms FM making 3 contacts and then worked another 5 on 70cms SSB with 20W and a 6 el yagi. Although we were sheltering as best we could in the rain with the wind gusting to over 70mph, no-one packed into the same sheltered spot actually complained. Then I suppose we were all mad being up there on that particularly day!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Sunny and horribly busy when I did it. I found no good spot to set up my beam for 2m - but there were few spots available anyway.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

So that’s what the views from Snowdon are like - I’ve been up 4 times, but have never seen anything, even on a visit during the summer months. Seems like you had more room to operate than Paul and I did - had it not been so cold, it might have been described as “cosy” when we were there. I guess you needed the room to avoid irradiating people!

73, Gerald

2003 - antenna up OK, summit fairly quiet, no view: Snowdon 2003

2004 - antenna up OK in a better place round the back of the trig point, fantastic views: Snowdon 2004

2007 - summit very busy due to a rock concert on the summit, antenna was hardly noticed by comparison, tucked in close to the trig point mound again though, occasional murky views: Snowdon 2007

2008 - horrible weather, no view, tucked in round the back of the trig point again intending using RSS antenna, but managed to break a connector. Used HH/RD instead, still plenty of contacts: Snowdon NW-001

73, Tom M1EYP

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I am full of admiration for John setting up an 80M dipole on the summit, and also for the long stay at the summit in what must have been very cold conditions.

Mine will be a simple activation, 2M SSB possibly followed by 2M FM, and it sounds like the MFD will be the easiest option. It will be a midweek activation, so I am conscious that I might be fine for contacts, but could struggle. Time on summit will be limited by walking partners patience.

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

1 Like

In reply to G0IBE:

It will be a midweek activation, so I am conscious that I might be fine for
contacts, but could struggle.

13 points on offer Richard and the level of interest even mid-week should be good, not just because of those points, but because of the really dedicated band of 2m SSB chasers. Hopefully the only struggle you’ll have is in turning the page over as you run out of paper!

73 and I hope the weather is good for you,

Gerald

The 13 points is only for the activator Gerald - the chasers will have to settle for 10!

I’ve never done a 13 pointer. Done everything else - 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. But not 13. Really ought to see to that. I expect that 12 points will remain elusive.

Good luck Richard.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

If we do manage to get 13 points, it will be just luck. We had booked a bunkhouse for mid november, but the weather was so bad that the owners asked us if we wanted to delay. And the delay moves us into the winter bonus period.

Has anyone stayed at St Curigs? It looks a little different from the usual B&B. I have not stayed before.

http://www.stcurigschurch.com/home.htm

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to M1EYP:

The 13 points is only for the activator Gerald - the chasers will have to settle for 10!

Just shows how engrained the activator psyche is with me, Hi!

73, Gerald

In reply to M1EYP:

Done everything else - 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11

Have I missed something? How does one get 3 points for a summit?

Rick.

In reply to M0RCP:
A repeat of any 2 pointer or more in bonus period.

In reply to G1INK:

A repeat of any 2 pointer or more in bonus period.

I did not get seasonal bonus points without any activation points, so I doubt this is correct.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

If I do G/SP-004 in June I get 2 points. If I repeat it in December same year I get 3 points. I could illustrate this with a graph if required.

In reply to G1INK:

I think Jaakko is saying that it did not work for him. This probably needs investigating.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to F5VGL:

If I do G/SP-004 in June I get 2 points. If I repeat it in December
same year I get 3 points. I could illustrate this with a graph if
required.

(Not sure how a graph would help)

Quoting from the general rules:

3.7.2 Scoring

The Activator claims the Summit points on an expedition basis, regardless of the total number of QSOs made above the qualifying minimum. A Summit may be activated as often as desired but an individual Activator can only claim points for operation from a particular Summit once in any calendar year.

3.11.3 Activator scoring precedence

In the event that an Activator activates a Summit more than once during the year, he may claim points for any one Expedition. If one expedition was during the period that the seasonal bonus was in operation, then he can claim that expedition together with the higher score.

3.11.3 appears to override 3.7.2. Perhaps the former rule should contain a reference to the latter.

I note also that the database contains (amongst others) the line:

30/Dec/2003 G/WB-003 (Stiperstones) M1EYP/P 4 0 3 150

Must check the database to see if I have any eligible summits I can revisit

Rick (who is stuck on 993 points and waiting for it to stop raining!)