Andy MM0USU SK

It is with great sadness that I have to inform the SOTA community that Andy MM0USU passed away on Monday after a long illness. Andy was a regular chaser both on VHF and HF and it was always a pleasure to hear him call into my activations.

I knew Andy had been ill for some time yet despite that, his voice was always full of cheer when I worked him. You could tell he was always pleased to work another SOTA summit. You could always rely on him to ensure you were spotted on SOTAwatch.

RIP and my condolences to his family.

Andy, MM0FMF
Scottish Association Manager.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Really sorry to hear about this. I often heard Andy chasing on 40m. It’s a real shame his familiar call will not be heard again :frowning:

RIP Andy

Mick M0MDA

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy MM0USU SK

Sad news… It was always nice to hear Andy calling into my activations as then I knew my signal was getting out. He was always chatty and cheerful and we had many conversations when time allowed. I will miss him on the summits.

RIP Andy and my condolences to his family also.

Allan GW4VPX

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks for letting us know. Hearing the familiar voices of regular chasers is like meeting with old friends, Andy will be greatly missed.

Paul G4MD

In reply to MM0FMF:

Very sorry to hear the news. Like others, I often heard Andy chasing and was fortunate to work him on a few occasions while out on the hills.

Another gentleman gone from the SOTA fraternity. RIP Andy.

My condolences to Andy’s family.

Gerald G4OIG

I am very sorry to hear this, we had many QSO on 40m on my SOTA activations in UK and Ireland.
My condolences to his family.
Phil ON4TA

In reply to MM0FMF:

A great loss…

Andy was always there for you when out on the hills.
Condolences to his family.

Bobby
GM7GAX

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sad indeed. I was shocked and suprised to hear this news. I often heard Andy in chaser pile ups. My thoughts for the family.
Mike

In reply to G6TUH:
WOW, SO SO DEVASTATED AT THIS NEWS AND SHOCKED BEYOND WORDS,ALL I CAN SAY IS OUR DEEPEST CONDOLENCES AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO ANDY’S FAMILY AND FRIENDS. AND THANK YOU TO MM0FMF FOR SPREADING THE SAD NEWS. FROM BOTH MYSELF TONY M3NHA AND MY WIFE SARA M6NHA, WE WILL, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE MISS HIS VOICE ON AIR CHASING THE SOTA ACTIVATORS.

Sorry to hear that Andy MM0USU is silent key. I remember working him on several occasions on HF and on VHF on one occasion as well.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to MM0FMF:

‘Another gentleman gone from the SOTA fraternity. RIP Andy’

G4OIG Gerald summed it up in this one phrase, my sincere condolences to his family.

Adrian

Goodbye & RIP, dear Andy!
I will always remember your voice calling me during activations. It’s a sad day for me… :frowning:
I will dedicate the next week’s activations to Andy’s memory.
My condolences to the family.

Sorin YO2MSB

So sorry to hear the sad news.

Andy was nearly always there on my activations with his usual cheery voice. His distinctive voice and that musical accent always broke through even with the weakest of signals in the pileups. Many a laugh was had – usual at his expense and will be greatly missed by myself while stuck on a freezing cold miserable GM summit, as I’m sure so will everyone.

As Gerald said, always the gentleman.

Our condolences to Andy’s family.

RIP Andy.

Neil 2M0NCM and Cat MM6CNC

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sadly missed, always the gentleman, always there when you needed a contact

RIP Andy

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to MM0FMF:
It was with great sadness that I had to report Andy as Silent Key.
I was usually in contact with Andy most days either through our common interest in radio or as a close friend.
Sadly missed. RIP.
Ken - MM0KCD.

Will miss him,

often get a call from him at my activations,
my condolences to Andys family.

RIP Andy.

Klaus DF2GN

Worked him a month ago on Foel Goch, very sad indeed. Glad he stayed active despite his illness.

Jonathan.

Very sad news.

Even through his illness Andy was always cheerful and a dedicated summit chaser. As many have already said, always the gentleman.

RIP Andy.

Robin, GM7PKT.

Very shocked to hear about Andy.
It was a great privilage to have worked him from the hills in the past.
He was always around when activating and will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him.

Graeme
MM0HLQ

Helen and I had been musing over the chasers who had regularly been in our logs who were now missing. One of those people was Andy.

We were both saddened to hear the news and our sympathies go to his family on their loss.

Carolyn