Alternative source for KX2 DC barrel connector

Dear KX2 owners,
I am hoping to put some 3s Lipo packs together. I have everything on order, including a new spot welder, as I let the batteries die in my old one. However, on looking at the spec of the 5.5/2.1mm barrel plug recommended by Elecraft, I see it has to be rated for 5A.

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/S760?qs=I3kMT7EEIOVEiIeFWvEYBA%3D%3D

The plugs themselves are not so expensive, but the shipping bumps them up to about €15 each. So the obvious question is, does anyone happen to know of an alternative source. Suggestions gratefully received.

73 de OE6FEG
                Matt
1 Like

How about here:
BKL 072109: DC-Stecker gerade 2,1x5,5x9,5 mm, bei reichelt elektronik

Hohlstecker und Einbaubuchsen bei reichelt elektronik
Unfortunately, their minimum shipping charge is €5.95 but if there are other things that you need for this “electronics candy store” (who normally come to Ham Radio Friedrichshafen but were not there last year) - it could pay to buy several items and still only pay €5.95 shipping.

73 Ed.

I had a look through before posting, but did not find anything with a 2.1mm id, 5A rating and the same low-profile outer as the switchcraft.
73 Matt

This one is rated at 5A - see the datenblatt
DC-HS 072110: Hohlstecker mit Knickschutz, Ø außen: 5,5 mm, Ø innen: 2,1 mm bei reichelt elektronik

€1,65

73 Ed.

1 Like

The KX2 manual says

8 V min, 15 V max. 1 to 2 A typical in transmit; 150 mA typical in receive

So does it need to be rated 5A?

That could well work, but still not low profile like the switchcraft.

Finding one rated for 2A is also not easy.

Yes, but the switchcraft doesn’t have cable protection on it - and from the picture, I think it might be hard plastic rather than rubberised plastic.

Your choice - I would go with the more flexible type with “kink protection” for the cable even if that makes it longer. Actually, you can cut off the “kink protection” if you want a shorter (18mm long) plug.

73 Ed.

The switchcraft (or equivalent) is the one Elecraft recommends. I will use silicone wire, as I found the wire on the original KX2 battery split on the underside near the battery after repeated bending.

2 Likes

P.S.
If anyone thinks they can fix a DX10 spotwelder from Aliexpress, then DM me. The unit lights up, but the screen is now just fuzzy.

Asking postage only.
73 de OE6FEG

ISTR a genuine IC-705 DC power cable is €31 plus taxes & p&p!

My KX2 power cable uses a barrel connector I found in the box of barrel connectors in the shack. Who knows the rating but it works and doesn’t get hot. However, I do sympathise when you want a couple of items and the shipping ends up being the size of the national debt.

2 Likes

At least Elecraft had the decency to put small items in an envelope and ship USPS. Not so DX Engineering.
73 Matt

1 Like

Hi Matt @OE6FEG,

If you can find the Elecraft part number for them, I can add a few onto my KX-2 order which I hope to get in the next month or so (being optimistic there, maybe). I can then post them on to you when they arrive in the UK.

The same offer applies if anyone else wants me to order some Elecraft parts for them.

73, Simon.

1 Like

Hi Simon - Beware the BREXIT charges! It may work out cheaper for Matt to order from the supplier he originally found than for you to post them on from the UK to Austria since BREXIT.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Yes, just wondering myself if I’d have to pay 2 lots of VAT.

It’s the same VAT change all over EU and UK. Send them to Matt as a birthday present… you can send up to £39/€44 worth of goods with no taxes.

3 Likes

That’s interesting as my brother sent me presents valued at UKL25 and I had to pay €30 duties/customs handling (agents) charges on them before the courier would deliver the package.

Ed.

1 Like

Has to be private individual to private individual, has to be a gift… no indirect purchasing, has to be occasional (birthday, Christmas) has to have customs declaration declaring it as a present.

1 Like

All done - all stated - still got charged the only option other than paying was to reject it and have it sent back (where I guess my brother would have been charged more).
That’s life…
Ed.

You have to pay then sue the courier. Pain the backside.