Already checked out your score for the HB15SOTA diploma? [Part 2]

I got it!
Joining all the others above in a BIG THANK YOU BRUNO for activating GL canton, also the last one I needed for the Edelweiss award.
Conditions were very bad and high local noise as always made it really difficult to hear anything at all. I had to wait until 40m signal went up a litlle, and then still could copy you only 319. No copy at all on 60m and 20m.
Also thanks to Markus and the others from the HB9SOTA gang!
Luc ON7DQ

3 Likes

Many thanks to Bruno for GL and Markus for TG, I only need JU now, worked Stephan
on 21st April on HB/JU 004, conditions were very poor, and I guess it was not a valid
contact? So on we go !!

All sorted, my fault, error in my log, have now applied for the certificate.
Thanks Ken G0FEX for spotting my Faux par !!

2 Likes

Hi Markus,
many thanks for TG-activation. Now,I need the last two: VS and GL.
Paul DL6FBK

3 Likes

If all goes well i will be activating HB/VS-245 tomorrow between 1100 - 1330 z with HB15SOTA
73 s Bruno HB9CBR

6 Likes

Dear all

. . . so listen for Bruno, HB9CBR, probably in HB/VS tomorrow in CW!

And some are still looking for HB/GR, so listen tomorrow for Uli, HB9CGA, doing Regitzer Spitz, HB/GR-121, with HB15SOTA.

Forecast for next weekend is not very satisfying, so listen for our SOTA spots on your HamAlert or SOTAwatch now, just from your home office, hi.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

5 Likes

Hi Markus

I managed to eventually get Bruno from VS canton today so I am really chuffed to have completed the challenge.

Hi Bruno

A huge thank you to you today for going around the bands for such a long time and I was so chuffed to work you eventually to complete the set for the Edelweiss diploma. Thanks to all the HB9 operators for being so active to celebrate their 15 years of SOTA.

Nick G4OOE

1 Like

Servus Markus,

TNX for TG-006 on 60m SSB.
Still need the last two: LU and SO.

73, Mario DJ2MX

1 Like

Hello Hello Bruno,
Thank you for the activation in Valais and the QSO
5Mhz. It means that I am only missing one canton: GL.
Thank you all for informing us.
Best 73
Paul DL6FBK

1 Like

Dear all

Thanks for your feedbacks – so 10 days remain now to complete your personal targets . . . :chipmunk:

Please take note that long term weather forecast here in HB9 is not very favorable for outdoor activities for a longer period, especially next Saturday. Reality is frequently better and may vary depending on weather regions, but this may limit availability of activations in general. Be sure to let HamAlert trigger you upon spots for your needed cantons.

So good luck to all, enjoy your activities on the activator or chaser side and
vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

4 Likes

Update for Thursday, April 29, 2021:

HB/SO will probably active from HB/SO-013 at about 12:45 UTC (14:45 CEST) plusminus with Jürg, HB9BIN. So listen for Jürg!

Enjoy and 73, DIZ

1 Like

Dear all

The last full weekend of our award period is ahead of us. As outlined before the weather forecast is not at all overwhelming.

We’ll try to find out the dry periods between the rain showers, so be surprised by SOTAwatch or HamAlert to see cantons in need by some of you.

GL or VS remain tough since even some snow is announced. Nothing irregular or wild in this period of the year, but . . . so maybe operation from easier summits in SH or ZG etc.

:four_leaf_clover: Nevertheless: some of you meet new cantons, so we are happy for you in case you can improve your personal scores!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

4 Likes

Hi Markus,

Thanks for QSO right now.
I hope to work SH also - this is the only one missing form me.

73, Jarek

Markus good job on HB/ZG-001 - most of the chasers who needed ZG made it into your log.
Congratulations and thank you for your efforts - the bad weather did certainly not help. So your activation is very much appreciated. Big thanks !

73 s de Bruno HB9CBR

3 Likes

Since GL is missing for at least three chasers and tomorrow seems nice wx, I decided to take a day off and activate Riseten HB/GL-047.

I just created an alert for tomorrow at 11z.

Hope to hear you and 73, Stephan

3 Likes

Dear all

Our hobby lives from imagination, since there is something invisible enabling communications, but you can’t see anything beside the hardware. It is a new adventure for each activation to collect the necessary 4 contacts for a valid result.

Imagination was the key word for yesterday’s activation on Wildspitz. The weather forecast made it difficult to find the good time slice with no rain during the activation. The hour from 0800 to 0900z seemed to be the best choice. And there is the Wildspitz hut on the top, located within the activation zone, so some protection would be found probably in the case of a need.

There was thick fog on the narrow mountain street to the trail head, so imagination and taking it slowly were key here. The hut on the summit was closed due to construction work, so no take away and further imagination needed in case of hunger. I had left the thickest fog just below the hut, but the nice view from this summit was left to the next portion of imagination.

Low imagination was needed indeed for the main part of my presence on top of Wildspitz. It was 1st of May, i.e. a holiday in most parts of Europe, it was a Saturday, a top day of the week for SOTA. And I was on top of HB/ZG-001, the only accessible summit of canton Zug, HB/ZG region in HB9, still in need by some fellows collecting cantons for the HB15SOTA award. The other HB/ZG summit Höhronen, HB/ZG-002, had been closed in parts due to wild life protection of capercaillies.

So many chasers would probably expect nervously my presence, especially on SSB, since our top activators are mostly CW guys. And I was right. I was busy after the first spot for two and a half hours. Not a single moment bored, thanks! Speaking kept me warm, not only the fleece jacket. 98 voice contacts were my best result so far during my 4 years with Summits on the Air.

Not much time to enjoy the views from the Wildspitz summit . . . ehm, further imagination would have been needed, since the fog had came up to the real summit, so no views for the operator. Check out their web cam here, they have an archive function, and enjoy the views of brighter days. It is really lovely their, and the hut and the reasonable ascent of one hour from the car park nearby the Obheg chapel offer a beautiful ambiente in case you should be nearby once in the future.

A special type of imagination was needed to cope with the constantly varying weather forecast for the region. The rain should start not at 0900z but probably only at 1100z. So I was prepared to escape from my position, but something kept the rain away from my position. This was your bonus, and I hope that all in need could catch canton ZG.

Weather forecast and local terrain conditions are more on the poor side and the rain could have brought some snow on slightly higher summits. The weather animation showed a small snow patch even for my summit on the forecast. I was well prepared for the descent on a likewise easy trail. The umbrella was opened only for the last portion above Obheg chapel.

Nevertheless, our activators try to take profit from favorable weather windows during the next week what are the last days of the HB15SOTA programme until incl. Saturday, May 8, 2021:

Today Sunday, Bruno HB9CBR is spotted just now for half-canton HB/NW from Rotzberg, HB/NW-022.

:four_leaf_clover: . . . and keep this alert in your mind and keep your fingers crossed – the most needed canton:
Tomorrow Monday, Stephan HB9EAJ is alerted for canton HB/GL from Riseten, HB/GL-047. Good luck!

There is no web cam on Riseten, so Stephan’s imagination is needed to be prepared well for this summit. Enjoy the next HB15SOTA events and keep good souvenirs of this special race through the HB9 states and the final spurt.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

Edit:
. . . plus an alert for today Sunday afternoon for HB/NW, now on SSB, depending on wx, on Bürgenstock, HB/NW-019.

5 Likes

Hello Stephan,
what good news! I hope to meet you on 5 or 7 Mhz
Until tomorrow,
Paul DL6FBK

2 Likes

Hi Markus,
Thank you for the nice report and the pictures of your activity in the canton of Zug. Again you describe the situation of your tour very vividly and it is easy to imagine how you fared.
Have fun with the further activations and see you again soon.
Best 73
Paul DL6FBK
p.s. and thanks for the good news about the upcoming activation in GL by Stephan!

2 Likes

Hi Markus,

Big congrats for your great job !
HB/ZG & HB/SH are very rare cantons and I already said to myself that I possibly will miss them.
Your spot was good surprise for me - this part 2 topic I found after our QSO only.
Now I hope that somebody will activate HB/SH and it will not be on my office day :wink:

73, Jarek

1 Like

Hi Jarek

Canton Schaffhausen (HB/SH in SOTA language) is scheduled for the next few days by Jürg, @HB9BIN, but I don’t know the exact timing. So be prepared to act upon a spot, hi. Jürg will read here that he should not activate HB/SH-002 during your office presence and also alert his activation. This shows that always two partners are needed for a QSO and that SOTA is not “SaaS”, i.e. not “SOTA as a service”, hi. Let’s hope for the best result!

HB/SH is a nice corner of HB9 including the most northern point of Switzerland. The capital Schaffhausen, located on the bank of young river Rhine, has a really beautiful old town. See here to enlarge your knowledge of this small Swiss state: Home - Schaffhauserland Tourism . . . but don’t forget that there are 25 other cantons resp. 23 cantonal SOTA HB regions since the city of Basle and canton Geneva don’t have valid SOTA summits.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

2 Likes