Airport security part 2

Its probably something on their Czech list…

Ho Ho Ho

I’ll get my coat…

19 Likes

I will travel to New York (USA) in the Easter 2018 and some SOTA summits are on my radar…

I’m planning to take with me my MTR-3B, endfed antenna, RG-174, pico paddle and a bunch of NiMH batteries.

With all the modifications in the last months how difficult will be get trough TSA ? Any thoughts ?

TKS ES 73 de Pedro, CT1DBS

ZRH airport, traveling to SFO.

Alexloop antenna in its shoulder bag, which also contains a tripod, MTR4b, 850mAh 3S LiPo, Pico single paddle, earphones, cables.

No questions, requests to look inside, or any reaction from the x-ray person. The coiled Alexloop looked quite cool on the x-ray but I guess it doesn’t match anything naughty.

You can check yourself from TSA web page:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

The amateur radio is well known hobby in US. In general the TSA personnel is professional and friendly on the borders.

73, Jaakko OH7BF(and other call signs)

1 Like

Manchester Airport and transit through Hong Kong Airport security last week. Clear definitions given regarding carrying lithium batteries in hand luggage on the Cathay Pacific website = in compliance with IATA regs.

FT-857 - FT270 and HB1B transceivers, 5m pole, VHF dipole, HF link dipole, charger leads, coax extensions and Palm Key etc in hold suitcase.

7 AH LiFePO, 3X18650 home brew LiFe battery pack, tablet and 13" laptop in rucksack in cabin luggage.

No questions asked getting through security at MCR and HK. Batteries (with taped connections) removed into plastic box for inspection / scanning on belt.

Suitcase arrived safe in Sydney without being disturbed - all gear accounted for. TSA combo locks fitted to hold suitcase.

73 Phil

9/1/18 Amsterdam Airport. KX1, FT-857, MFJ Portable Tuner, MFJ Antenna Analyser and LiPo battery with taped connections in fire retardent bag with IATA rules and the calculation that 15 V x 5 Ah = 75 Wh.
No problems, no questions no delay :grinning:
73 de geert ea8/pa7zee

SFO->ZRH return with the above mentioned Alexloop case + radio. Had to remove some of the stuff into a separate tray, but otherwise no questions or issues from the TSA folks.

I’ll be flying to Germany tomorrow and returning from Denmark later. Here is the flight itinerary, LAX --> SFO, SFO --> FRA, CPH --> DEN. I’ll be carrying a Yaesu FT891, Yaesu FT1D, EFHW antennas, and two zippy 4200mAh batteries. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Bratislava Airport. ATS3B, Elecraft T1 Portable Tuner, 2x10m wire antenna, coax and 3S LiPo battery with taped connections in fire retardent bag with IATA rules and the calculation that 12.6 V x 3.3 Ah = 42 Wh. No problems, no questions no delay, but on return from Leeds my LiPo made problem. I was stopped for 20 mins, two guys consult my battery with other guys. After two consultations I could have been into my plane. IATA protocol helped very much! Really.
73 de Igor OM3CUG

Any issues, concerns or suggestions on flying in USA domestic with SOTA ham gear kx2 with 60wh LIPO batteries?

Have printouts of TSA rules, airline rules for dangerous items. Batteries packaged and terminals isolated as required, label showing WH rating on battery. (I printed my own and made them look official and professional!) Have a copy of your ham licence with you as well.

I had no issues at Edinburgh with an 817, 2x Lipo, 1x tablet, 1x laptop, 2x phones and plenty of USB cables and chargers. I had all my electronics in one tray and nothing on top of them, coat, bag, watch, money in another. The guy swabbed my diabetic injection pen and then said “thanks for laying out all the electronics, makes my job easier”. Which was nice. I did the same at Prague and they swabbed the 817. Nothing else bothered them,

I’ve taken my radio stuff domestically without any problems. Sometimes the TSA will take out the kx3 and run it through separately. The always seem more interested in any food I have in my backpack. I haven’t had any problems bringing Li batteries.

1 Like

I had a funny experience in Munich a few weeks ago.

I had a KX2, an electronic morse key, a coiled up dipole antenna and a 26Wh LiPo. I put everything in one of the plastic trays and passed security control without any problems.

I was already collecting my items from the tray when the passenger in line behind me asked me what I carry in my hand luggage. This drew the attention of security staff. They picked up the KX2 and showed it to a supervisor. It then got swapped and presumably tested for explosives. I wished eternal damnation (and some other things) to the stupid passenger, but it all went well. I got the radio back and overall it did not cost me more than a few minutes.

73 Heinz

1 Like

No problems Edinburgh to Fuerteventura with a laptop, tablet, 2 phones, 817, 2 LiPos and diabetic stuff. But coming home was more problematic. My 817 was single out for much scrutiny. Guy on the X-ray machine called to his colleague who called a Guardia Civil officer over. He removed the 817 from the tray and I was called over. Then another Guardia Civil office was called and she took the 817 out of its case and looked at the battery drawer. She also spoke wonderfully good English (how many UK police officers speak wonderful Spanish?) and asked to see inside. I opened the cover and showed it said NiCd on the battery. “Can you remove the battery?” was her question. I unplugged the pack and showed her the 817 did not work. “OK, now it is OK for the plane” she said.

Bizarre because the IATA requirements are batteries should remain installed in their electronics and not removed. Hey I wasn’t going to argue and wandered off to duty free. It’s a matter of conjecture as to whether the battery was replaced in its compartment for the flight home or left in a bag pocket until I was back in the UK.

1 Like

Seems they wanted to ensure, the FT-817 does not transmit inadvertently on board. In the sense of switching off all electronic devices during start and landing. Funny to see how different safety requirements contradict each other.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

A piece of fresh experience here:
1 HT (Wouxun) + internal li-lion battery + antennas, Youkits EK1C HF rig w/ internal Li-ion battery, laptop, usb powers banks, everything fully charged, in the carry-on. HF Antennas and telescopic mast in checked baggage. No problem in Bratislava, no problem in Edinburgh.

I’ve long lived by the adage: Trust No One.
Airport Securty and Boarder Patrol are humans and as such inyerpret rules differently. Regarding the supervisor who said the 817 with the battery detached said it was good to go, never seemed to indicate it couldn’t be reattached, correct?
The other rule I carry in my head is Cooperate and Graduate.
Shut up and obey orders and you can generally get away with anything. With Law Enforment…They’re in charge so don’t make waves!

1 Like

The only interest I had from TSA was for my carbon fiber pole - it’s about an inch in diameter and 14 inches long, and apparently looked like a baton or other weapon in the x-ray. A quick physical inspection and a few questions later, and I was on my way.

Adam

I took my MFJ whip (1820t) on this trip, and the TSA had to have a second look, but no problems getting it through

Again no issues with border control, this time East Midlands Airport, with FT-817, amp, 2x 5000mAh Li-pos and charger, laptop and charger, GPSr and assorted cables. The only advice I can give is lay everything out in as many trays as needed making it obvious nothing is hidden.