your new one doesn’t have a bleedin’ Q in it

Q = dah dah di dah

Y = dah di dah dah

Just as bad :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

We’re having a little drink on Friday night

By the young man a beer from me as I owe him one. I settle with you at Blackpool.

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi Andy,

I actually owe you a beer for fixing the first activation displays in the Database - ie making me the first activator of Ailsa Craig GM/SS-246.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to MM0FMF / G1STQ:

your new one doesn’t have a bleedin’ Q in it

Q = dah dah di dah Y = dah di dah dah

Could have been G0HIE or G0HIS… I’d rather have a Q or Y any day. Much more rhythmical!

73, Gerald G4OIG… or should that be G48G?

In reply to M0HGY:

I only let Ofcom choose my callsign as none of callsigns I wanted were available.

Jimmy M0HGY

I only let Ofcomm (or what ever they were in the day) chose mine, because that was the only option!
How times have changed, I believe you can even hold more than one call nowadays!

Anyway, Congratulations Jimmy. Hope to work you someday soon.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for congratulating me. I hold 3 callsigns, M0HGY (Advanced/Full callsign), 2E0EYP (Intermediate callsign), M3EYP (Foundation callsign). I you have a class B callsign, you can reapply for this callsign if you want to.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to M1EYP:

Well done Jimmy. What a year 2012 has been for you.

Became a SOTA Mountain Goat
Achieved intermediate licence
All G unique summits activated (completed in July)
Lectured at RSGB Convention
Achieved full licence

…and got a decent job!

Perhaps M0HGY stands for Man 0verall Had Great Year! :slight_smile:

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to M1EYP:

Well done Jimmy. What a year 2012 has been for you.

Became a SOTA Mountain Goat
Achieved intermediate licence
All G unique summits activated (completed in July)
Lectured at RSGB Convention
Achieved full licence

…and got a decent job!

Flown the nest?

No in all seriousness jolly well done Jimmy

Peter
G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:
That’s a great cw call hope to work you one day 73 Ian vk5cz …

In reply to M0HGY:
Many congrats Jimmy!!

James

Thank you all for congratulating me.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to M0HGY:

Hi Jimmy

You really should consider 5MHz. It is one of the priviledges that you have earned and it’s a great band for working around the UK on SSB. You might even come to enjoy it more than 2m FM. I think you might be able to persuade your dad to give up the FT817.

He already has a dipole for 5MHz - I know as it’s mine!

Richard
G3CWI

Hi Richard,

I might consider getting an NOV for 5MHz, but is it worth it through due to the decline of activity on there and also due to the changes of the 5MHz band plan?

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to M0HGY:

Activity breeds activity.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0HGY:

Belated congratulations Jimmy, your efforts are well rewarded. Now all you have to do is pester a certain EYP to take you somewhere you couldn’t operate as a 2E0!!

Come join me and other terrified CW operators sometime soon on the air - your new callsign is better than mine on that mode!

Barry GM4TOE

Hi Barry,

Thank you for congratulating me. I hope to do some SOTA activating outside the UK at somepoint.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to M0HGY:

Hi Richard,

I might consider getting an NOV for 5MHz, but is it worth it through
due to the decline of activity on there and also due to the changes of
the 5MHz band plan?

Jimmy M0HGY

We don’t know yet what the exalted ones will tell us is the new band plan, but as there will be a lot more room on 5 megs I rather expect an increase in activity. Despite the decline in activity I have had eleven chases on 5 megs in the last month, gaining me 30 points: I was going to activate LD-037 on 5 megs on the 1st Dec but it was too cold and windy so I chickened out and stuck to 2m FM!

5 megs is a good place to be, the natives are very friendly, when NVIS is working well (i.e. as normal during the daylight hours!) it covers the British Isles and often LA and OZ, at sunset it goes long and after midnight you can work into the States - I’ve done it with the 817 and a 100-foot doublet but usually you need more power to get through the babbel.

Brian G8ADD

Hi Brian,

If there is an increase of activity on 5MHz, I will consider getting an NOV.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to M0HGY:

What ‘decline of activity’?, I hear more people using it (I normally monitor 5398.5MHz when there is not a lot else going on HF wise) these days and a lot of the SOTA 5MHz regulars have to find an alternative Channel.

I should imagine there will be even more activity when we get even more of the band to use and it will be good to get as many people to use it as possible so they can stake their claim on the emerging Bandplan.

Colin
M0XSD.

In reply to M0HGY:

Congratulations Jimmy,

Remember on your High Stile activation when I said I wasn’t very good at the maths ?, well I am trying to put that right by taking a GCSE maths course and once that is done then hopefully I can start some serious radio study.

Very best wishes and I will be listening out for your new call.

Derek