Activation Zone mapping

Great, really useful info! Thanks, Manuel.

73, DIZ

1 Like

This is a great estimation tool, thanks for making it available. Iā€™ve book marked it.

Iā€™m well aware of the limitations of tools like this, but the ā€œinterestingā€ shapes it throws up are useful for some awkward summits with limited access options. I can go an investigate in detail using detailed mapping with 5 or 10 metre contour intervals.

Thanks!

Iā€™m off to g/se-007 Crowborough this weekā€¦ the whole AZ is basically the town centre of Crowborough. An unusual challenge to find an Activation spotā€¦ but others before me have used a little wooded area where I can get out of site.

No doubt if spotted Iā€™ll be reported as a Spy!

Gerald

Thanks a lot for this great feature!

Moreover, SOTLAS has now added open entries, like the Activation Zone Estimator for other countries or aprs.fi and similar tools. Like that one can instantly navigate to other useful resources. So cool!

73 Stephan

1 Like

Presumably one looking for petrol.

1 Like

Amazing!
Thanks for the work, Manuel :+1: :beers: :goat:

73, Roman

1 Like

Hello Manuel @HB9DQM

Thank you very much :+1:Useful link and function in sotl.as! Great :muscle:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

We have LIDAR for Crowborough, so can be pretty accurate. Itā€™s complicated though, by higher made-up ground at the reservoirs near the trig. But going by RHoBā€™s definition of the summit I get this contour:

Base map Ā©Crown copyright 2021 Ordnance Survey. Media 018/21

Safe descent!

1 Like

I used the wooded area on the north side of the Golf Club visitors carpark. It was several years ago and it was very overgrown then, I had trouble getting an HF dipole up. No idea what itā€™s like in there now

1 Like

As mentioned above, Manuel was kind enough to add a link to activation.zone in the ā€œOpenā€ drop down menu too! (see attached)

In the future, I hope to help Manuel generate high resolution AZ polygons for the US as well. Having this all in sotl.as makes the most sense.

6 Likes

That makes me wonder if any licensed amateurs live within the activation zone in Crowborough.

2 Likes

Superb! Diloch!

Thanks for the Intelā€¦ I might be stuck with 2m FM. Could be tricky!

Soā€¦ if they operated from the garden on battery powerā€¦ every chase they made would be a summit to summit??? What an interesting possibility.

4 Likes

For those interested in hearing more about the backstory, roadmap, etc. behind the Activation Zone Estimator, Ara N6ARA will be presenting during tomorrow eveningā€™s SoCal SOTA meeting on Zoom at 8pm PT (0300 UTC). Ara N6ARA will discuss his experience with creating a web app to estimate and visualize the Activation Zone for all SOTA summits around the world. This talk will cover the story and technical details of how https://activation.zone/ came to be, and future goals of the project looking ahead.

For information about how to join our meetings, please visit SoCalSOTA.com.

3 Likes