Activation report from VE6/RA-023 Missinglink MTN

Hey all,

I just wanted to say a big thanks to the couple of you I did get in the log, the band condx for me were not very good the qsb was bad I would hear quite a few stations very briefly then nothing for a few minutes finally after getting my 4 on CW I called it quits.

I did receive 2 emails about stations calling and I will work you guys next time and hopefully it works out better.

You guys are awesome that chase and I’m so thankful for your patience with me decoding you rock.

73 de VE6JTW, Jesse

13 Likes

Well at least it wasn’t blowing snow !! Hihi. Nice pics!!

Jessie, Next time, pick something other than 14.060 MHz because there was a lot of activity on that particular spot today. The band conditions were crazy with long skip. I heard EU stations and also some stateside QRP stations ALL calling CQ exactly on the same spot (QRP calling frequency) at one time and nobody could hear you in that mix. Hihi.
Thanks for the effort, glad we finally connected. Stay well & 73! Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

Thanks Mike and I will choose a different frequency next time, that was my first go at 20m cw. No snow it was plus 20°c probably one of our last nice days.

I didn’t hear any of those stations unfortunately, but I’m glad you came threw and I got you in the log lesson learned and next time will be much better I hope!

1 Like

I find it can be quiet around 14.057 but that’s over here, might be different on your side.

1 Like

I barely heard a peep on 14.060 so next activation I’m going to have to check around the band and that will be one spot I check.

73 de VE6JTW, Jesse

1 Like

Always worth a quick check, for S2S chances if nothing else. It’s also worth picking a spot not on a N.0 frequency on CW (or nn0.0 on SSB)…

1 Like

I’m to nervous to attempt a S2S yet haha but I guess the only way to learn and get better is to just do it.

It’s much harder to know that the station calling you in North America is on a summit as few portable stations append /P to the call. As soon as you hear /P in Europe when you are activating then it’s a pretty good sign that station is also on a summt.

1 Like

I have noticed that /P is not used in NA for any portable ops the only time I have seen a / after a call if for mobile HF or if a callsign is being used in a different jurisdiction.

It seems to be nothing more than the custom and practice of NA hams vs European hams. I can’t comment on Asian/VK/NZ hams as I’ve not studied what they tend to do.

Not sending /P would save time but as I have it in a keyer memory I simply hit the button and let the keyer do its stuff. I’ve said before that when I send QRZ? and get hit with several calls at once, the /P on a weak caller stands out and I think helps them get an S2S more easily.

Personal choice Jesse.

1 Like

That makes sense and would actually help a lot especially being new to CW.

Off the top of my head, I think we’re supposed to add the /P if we’re anywhere other than the address on our licence.
I do… except when I forget! Which has happened. Many SOTA ops do, but not all.
I stand to be corrected on all this, by the way.
Oh, and I’m talking about phone operation - not CW. We usually say it as “VK2STG portable” Not sure if that’s relevant :thinking:.

Nice photos Jesse!

2 Likes

Hey Steven,

I’m sure its in the regulations here in Canada somewhere I just can’t find it but I know that nobody uses it from what I have seen in the last year of being licensed, I have however seen American Operators using their call with a /VE6 or the prefix for whatever province they are in after their call

2 Likes

Jesse

I was pleased to have the exchange on your activation

Thanks for the new one

Jim W9VNE . VA3VNE

1 Like

I could write a long one here about keeping things succinct
rst and move one

decades ago before WW II the American FCC issued a separate call for portable operation, That stopped after WW II
we in USA do not need to add anything but our call
no appendages needed or required
CQ SOTA does it

Jim
W9VNE . VA3VNE

2 Likes

Thank you for your patience and chasing me it means a lot.

73 de VE6JTW, Jesse

Maybe when you’ve done a few activations and have sat in the wild wind, rain and cold listening to 4 or 5 stations all perfectly netted on top of each other all sending their calls at the same time because they want the QSO, you’ll see that the one sending /P on the end of the call stands out like a pregnant pole-vaulter and is most likely going to be an S2S QSO and possibly a complete. Otherwise there really would be no point to use all up that extra wrist energy. :wink:

2 Likes

do 3 QSOs a minute then you may understand
why do UK stations during contests use short special call like G8A
well your call is a long one for sure
logic dictates short calls not 2 or 3 times length

just my opinion
w9vne

1 Like

SOTA isn’t a contest. /P adds value.

1 Like

if you think so
continue to do so