Activation is legal in DM / NS-xxx

I was a bit unsure whether my one-hour trips to the local summits would be tolerated. Based on the following message, I assume that activations are legal and valid here in Lower Saxony.

As of: April 2nd, 2020 6:45 p.m. - NDR 1 Niedersachsen a major public radio station

Lower Saxony does not plan to ban Easter excursions as Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania has imposed. This was announced on Thursday by Heiger Scholz, head of the Corona crisis team of the Lower Saxony state government.
ā€¦ There are no plans to tighten the existing national regulations. Instead, Scholz recalled a decision by the federal government and the prime ministers not to travel to the tourist areas at Easter.

Fortunately for us, the summits are rare here ā€œtourist aerasā€.

73 Chris

1 Like

It is sensible to activate summits close to your home and to avoid popular summits or those with a risky ascent.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Perhaps it is precisely this careless attitude that has led to higher infection rates in DL than in BY.

gl, Mario

2 Likes

The word ā€œcarelessā€ is inappropriate.

You should note that the actual death rate in DL is much lower than other countries in EU, this is because there is much more extensive testing in DL giving a truer picture of the mortality rate and showing up infections that would have been missed elsewhere. There is evidence that the infection rates in BY have been seriously under reported.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

It will be hard to bring evidence that a lonesome sota activator can spread any germ on an empty summit.

Ahoi
Pom

also in Sachsen ist es leider nicht erlaub. Du darfst nur mit driftigem Grund ins Auto steigen.
Alle WanderparkplƤtze im Erzgebirge und in der SƤchsischen Schweiz sind zudem gesperrt.
Hinzu kommt ein entsprechender Busgeldkatalog, der das klar regelt :frowning:

Alles was an Aktivierungen stattfindet ist auf eigene Gefahr.

Uns ist natĆ¼rlich klar, das wenn Du allein aufm Berg bist, keine Gefahr besteht. Aber das Gesetzt ist halt anders ā€¦ sehr Schade.

VG Jƶrg

Hey, Brian, this probably isnā€™t the place to discuss this. I took the precaution of checking the dictionary, ā€œcarelessā€ is exactly the word I meant. But obviously there are two different meanings for this word in the German language. So maybe it comes out wrong.

Our state government recommends: stay at home. It seems that many people canā€™t manage that. Everyone wants their normal life back, but if we donā€™t all pull together, it will take all the longer.

Stay healthy, 73 from Lower Saxony

3 Likes

Thisā€¦ :+1:

4 Likes

This is true. But Iā€™m struggling to understand why many governments are politely requesting this still, and/or leaving their ā€œinstructionsā€ vague with all manner of opportunity for individual interpretation.

I have some sympathy for walking out into the countryside to remote places where social distancing is guaranteed. Iā€™m doing exactly this myself - but not using my car - just places I can walk to locally from my home.

2 Likes

But Iā€™m struggling to understand why many governments are politely requesting this still, and/or leaving their ā€œinstructionsā€ vague with all manner of opportunity for individual interpretation.

Tom, this is a bit off topic since itā€™s about DM and NS in special. Due to our federal system, every state have their own restrictions, sometimes there a even local restrictions varying from county to county. Despite this, the rules are clear for every state/county and not much room left for interpretations.

However, there are always people interpreting rules for themselves and theyā€™re usually wrong. Itā€™s the kind of people who insist that working on 70.200 MHz USB would be ok in DL (BNetzA tolerates us working up to 70.200), however their signal would be completely out of band then.

States that do not want you to go out (at the time Bayern and Sachsen) make this clear in their rules. The only point left to discuss is, if SOTA is considered kind of a sport* and therefor an ā€˜important reasonā€™ to leave home. However, driving your car to a car park where you want to start your hike isnā€™t covered.

This does not apply to Niedersachsen, weā€™re allowed to go out and drive anywhere as long as we keep distance to others. Regional rules apply, e.g. travel restrictions to the North Sea isles.

I have some sympathy for walking out into the countryside to remote places where social distancing is guaranteed. Iā€™m doing exactly this myself - but not using my car - just places I can walk to locally from my home.

Thatā€™s in the spirit of fighting the virus! Keep away from others and stay in your home region if possible. Even there is no official restriction in NS, this means to me to stay in my home county or the neighbouring county. However, sooner or later I will have to travel from my /a QTH in TH to my main QTH in NS to do the shopping for my parents. Have been here for three weeks now, never left the city and left home only for the shopping, some short walks and two GMA activiations.

Ahoi
Pom

Edit:

• The radioā€™s (MDR aktuell) just said that angling is considered a sport in Sachsen. So SOTA must be, too.

I got into my car at the front door, drove to the hiking car park and hiked to the summit. I didnā€™t meet anyone, some hikers passed by at a great distance.

My immune system was strengthened in the fresh air.

And I had a lot of nice conversations that cheered me up and maybe also the many chasers.

I canā€™t tell whatā€™s bad or even dangerous about it.

73 Chris

2 Likes

Have you ever glanced at the statistics for people killed or seriously injured in accidents involving motor vehicles in your country. Should be obvious really.

Here, the government has just clarified the limits on using a car to drive somewhere for your daily exercise - a drive of no more than 5 minutes. This confirms that my current approach of going for walks that begin at my front door is probably still the most appropriate. And confirms that SOTA here remains impossible for now - unless you happen to live in Crowborough or Ruardean Hill.

2 Likes

Got a citation for that Tom? Canā€™t find anything so specific starting from COVID-19: guidance and support - GOV.UK

Statistics can prove anything!

" Facts and figures

• More accidents happen at home than anywhere else.
  • Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident .
  • More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units.

So you see, staying at home is inherently dangerous!

We are safer if we go out!

1 Like

Well I didnā€™t vote for them, but Iā€™m going to trust in the Tory government advice (instruction) rather than your assessment Brian @G8ADD.

Iā€™ll look out for you on the TV news footage this weekend.

A bit rich after a 28km 8 hour walk :thinking:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it was in here somewhere Simon:

ā€¦but Iā€™ve just had a quick scan through and cannot locate it!

If itā€™s any consolation, it will be perfect paragliding weather every single day next week. Whilst I too grumble about the minutiae of the legal position, I certainly agree that riskier activities should be put on hold for a while. If driving a short way is legal where Chris lives then good for him; I hope he has a good time. I hesitate to venture an opinion on the statistics, as things are beginning to head in the right direction here in Austria; donā€™t want to jinx it.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m not acting on it, Tom, I was just pointing out that Richardā€™s statistics were really a non sequitor! I limit my activity ro hour long strolls with the dog around the local park and through woodland: the park is quiet and it is rare to see anyone in the woodland, my biggest hazard is that I still have to go to the supermarket. Iā€™ve found that home deliveries of groceries tends to come up with some strange substitutions!