Activation is legal in DM / NS-xxx

Selective use of statistics can show all sorths of things, for instance it appears that approx 700 people die a year as a result of accidents with toasters, but that only 500 people have died climbing the Matterhorn. At first glance that would seem to make it safet to climb the Matterhorn than eat toast ( Probably not a good idea to take a toaster up the Matterhorn…) but of course this isn’t valid because of the different number of people doing the activity.
I would agree that it is extremly unlikely that a SOTA activator will spread the virus, but the more people that are driving around the more normal it will be to drive around, and the more people will assume that social distancing does not apply to them. So it is partly understanding statistics and the spread of a virus, but also partly about social engineering. I must admit that in G land it would be good to know what the actual rules are as the interpretation varies slightly.
In G land almost all the SOTA summits are in nice countryside which is a considerable drive from cities and it might be that even a few of us making a journey may encourage other holidaymakers to assume it would be OK… I have a couple of easy summits less than half an hours drive away but I won’t be doing them as I feel that it would set a very poor example - in particular to my kids (16,13,11) who despite social media are starting to find social isolation quite difficult.

PS Still no toilet paper in this part of the N Pennines…

Paul

2 Likes

Great points about social engineering and concept of normality Paul @G4IPB . I agree.

Steve @G1INK - 32km actually. The 28.5km came from the OS Map site that I used to plot the route. But of course even at a decent resolution, some of the ‘lines’ will still be a lot straighter than they actually are on the ground! 8 hours was a bit ‘sluggish’ too. I’d like to think I could complete the route in nearer 6 hours when I repeat it.

Brian @G8ADD - yeah I knew exactly the tone and context of your statistics post. Statistics are dangerous when non-mathematicians attempt to handle them! I do concur though, that getting into a car massively multiplies the potential risk to self, others and emergency services. Whereas walking from home for a few hours on known-to-be quiet (deserted) paths, but remaining within a 3 mile radius of home, is virtually risk-free.

I went for an evening stroll with Marianne last night. We walked along a few quiet lanes and footpaths. The footpaths in the more urban areas closer to town were a bit of a pain as we had to keep crossing the road to avoid people. Not that there were many people out - there weren’t - but you still have to avoid every single one of them! The lanes on the edge of town were much more pleasant and relaxing. The horrible bit was the supermarket we called into just before returning home. Social distancing in there was hard work! They had arrows and 2m space indicators taped to the floor throughout the store, but that didn’t stop a staff member saying “Can I just budge past you?” and then without waiting for a response, actually brushing against my back to stack some shelves while I was trying to choose a birthday cake for Marianne! Unbelievable!

Shortly after that I found myself in the middle of an aisle with a man walking towards me from one side and a woman from the other. I actually had to call out to point out they were trapping me as they seemed oblivious! Then you get the people taking advantage of others who are respecting social distancing by pushing in front of them in the queue for the till.

Dangerous places these supermarkets. Yes, we’re trying to use delivery services as much as possible, but you need to anticipate your shopping list a good week in advance in order to get a delivery slot. On our last delivery Brian, we had two “substitutions” - one was chicken drumsticks instead of chicken thighs - OK fair enough. The other was one block of butter instead of three blocks of butter (but still charged for three). Not so fair enough - but the store in question has agreed to a “3 for 1” on the next order to balance the situation.

What strange times in which we live.

1 Like