Activation during family holiday and a boat on 928 m asl

Last week we had family holiday in Schluchsee (Black Forrest). When made preparations to my surprise I’ve found 3 SOTA summits nearby, the nearest was DM/BW-849 only less than 3 km away (like the crow flys).

Wagnersberg from boat on Schluchsee, boat 928 m asl ! :laughing:

We travelled by train and limited the luggage to one small suitcase and one rucksack each, not much room for additional SOTA equipment. Only 2m FM hand-held? No, not sure to get 4 QSO. Usually FT-817 and so on? No, to much. So I took my 30 m QCX, a Palm mini paddle, earbuds and a 4 Ah LiFePo from Eremit (indeed to large but the smallest battery in my stock). The usually antennas were also to large and on 30 m only good with an ATU. From a piece of plastic, a toroid core, some screws, wire and 2 m RG 174 I made a EFHW quickly, tuned the wire in the backyard. A new bought 5 m travel fishing pole from Decathlon completed my antenna.

From Schluchsee a train brought me in 4 minutes to the next station Seebrugg and the endpoint of this route.

Train station

From here after 2.x km and 170 m ascend I reached the summit.

Start of the path up in the woodland

AZ with a flat top

The shack

Along the EFHW, pole is standing behind a branch of the tree - fast deployment

Feeding point with transformer

Starting on 2 m FM after a spot was a waste of time. But CW on 30 m was fun. On a Tuesday noon with 2.5 W 16 QSO in 42 minutes was a success for me. Calling some minutes on 2 m FM again: a new waste.

By the way: it was my first CW only activation. Thanks to all the chasers
EA2LU, ON7GO, CT1ILT, F4WBN, EA4R, 9A6ZE, S52CU, OK2PDT, EA2DT, OE6GND, GM4ZMK, OE7PHI, YO6CFB, OK1FMJ, GB2OGI, SM5LNE.

73, Ludwig

13 Likes