Which Band for a single-band CW SOTA TRX in Central Europe?

My advise also goes to 30m. In addition to all the things already said, I’d say it’s the band with the nicest skip for you to be able to be chased by hams in Germany and also much more distant ones like in UA9, SM, CT, EA, SV…
Regarding DX, you will have better chances on 20m, but I can’t help mentioning the USA activators I’ve chased on 30m and the VK7 who chased me early in the morning on 30m while I was activating in EA1/CR. However, from your initial post, it didn’t seem to me that working DX is a priority for you. You said your main interest is qualifying the activation.
On my own interest, I’d much prefer you to activate on 30m and have my good chances to chase you, rather than 40 or 60m, where I usually have more dificulties to hear activators from Germany.

Guru

4 Likes

I could use my 6 m vertical wire on my 7.5 m pole, good on 20 m and 15 m and sufficient on 40 m. On the lower side a 2nd wire goes vertical elevated. The length depends on the band. I could optimise the length for 30 m. I use this antenna with a small tuner with low losses. I will simulate this configuration and check the radiation angle.

But maybe I will use a new to built EFHW using the mentioned pole.

73, Ludwig

1 Like

Guru, that’s right. But depending on the situation (chance for DX and not a hike above my limits :wink:) I will bring my current FT-817 to the summit. The single-band CW TRX is only for some purpose. And it’s for fun - activating with a home (made) reassembled TRX.

73, Ludwig

1 Like

30 m also has my vote, consistent performer, Contest free.
David
G0EVV

1 Like

+1 for 30m - slightly more manageable antenna than 40m too.

3 Likes

I was going to make a not too serious suggestion of 15m - as it has been working very well recently. But I tried it this morning and it was dominated by Russian operators transmitting at 30+ wpm. I tried a CQ call anyway at my gentle 14 wpm and got a “?” back so fast it must have been at 35+ wpm. :slight_smile: That was the last I heard from them so I switched to 30m and it was much easier. So another vote for 30m. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Andy’s Anvil

1 Like

An EFHW would be fine. With my multi-band HF rig and its built-in ATU [a KX2] I activate occasionally with a 60/40/30/20 linked dipole but more often with either a 40/30/20 EFHW or a 80m-6m vertical.

I’m assuming taking your [30m] QCX 5W monobander instead of your bulky 1.3kg FT817 is cos it’s fun / a nice change / a small lightweight alternative - ideal for quick winter activations.

As it is QRP and has no ATU, I would go for a [30m] inverted V dipole for best efficiency. As 30m is a narrow band you should get a good SWR on any frequency. My UltraLite wire dipoles on a plastic winder with 10m of RG174 (so you can sit out of the wind) weigh about 450g and would fit in a small dry bag along with the QCX and LiPo.

3 Likes

Large or medium size?

Extra-large in my case.

1 Like

I’ve been leaving my anvil in the shack recently. I had a think about stuff that I take and never use. Strangely enough, I don’t think I’ve ever needed my anvil on a summit.

My anvil on G/LD-013

73, Colin

4 Likes

Why not really ON the summit?

I guess the 25m rule applies to anvils too :wink:
Rod

2 Likes

I think I’ve missed something… :cry: What’s the background to this discussion about anvils?

Mea culpa. I started it back in 2018 and it now has a life of its own.

1 Like

Why not: a new line in the SOTA program – SOTA-ATOS

SOTA-ATOS (SOTA with Anvil on Top Of Summits)

After 50 activations with bringing an anvil (at least 50 Pfund *)) on the summit you are an SOTA Anvil Tractor.

*) For those who don’t like metric units. Pfund is an old German non metric unit.

1 Pfd. = 1 lb. and 1 5/8 oz. (modern definition from 1854)

1 Like

Aahhh… That explains it!

Did you really take it up the summit…!?

1 Like

My vote is also for 30. All the reasons have been stated above. 40m would probably get more conacts, but 30m is always perfectly satisfactory down here in OE.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

Sorry, there was a permutation in the acronym.

To complete this thread:

In 2022 until now I brought my 30 m QCX on 6 Summits, with different success, one time only 1 QSO but later more (6, 3, 2, 6). Fortunately I brought the first 5 times also my FT-817, so had more than 4 contacts.

On the last summit I could use only a 2 m Handheld (useless) and only my QCX and my new build EFHW for HF and got 16 contacts. So the QCX is regular in service now.

Thanks for all the suggestions made in this thread.

73, Ludwig

2 Likes