A VHF handy can save an activation from failing

When on the mountains I use to carry a VHF handheld with me despite I don’t use it very often.

Sometimes I doubt whether it does worth, but it is a just in case gear, you never know if you’ll have any issue in the mountain

Yesterday I went to activate Mt. Baratxueta, EA2/NV-068, carrying my trUSDX HF gear. Depending on the weather, the time I’ll have and the bands or modes of choice I grab a different rig from my collection and take the corresponding set of gear with it.

Yesterday, once in the summit I installed my EFHW aerial and when I tried to connect the coaxial I discovered I had forgotten a BNC – RCA adaptor. Yes, that silly missing little connector was a no-go for my HF activation, doh!
The guilty setup:

I then took my VHF handheld put a spot and gave some CQ calls.
Thanks to it I got 13 QSO in my log, including 3 S2S summits with @EA2DCA / @EA2DNO, @EA2EUS & @EA2EEB. A good end thanks to the VHF!

Good VHF propagation and DX
In the afternoon I received the good news from two of the friends I worked S2S, who had worked some nice DX on VHF.

First, Alberto & Iratxe EA2DCA/ EA2DNO had worked CT1DHM at 481 km far away. They activated with a handheld and telescopic whip as well!!

And Mique, EA2EUS, reported a good DX with F4HKH, near Paris, at 683 km distance, wow! Mique activated with a handheld and 1 meter long vertical dipole (homebrew Flower pot antenna). Congratulationes for them!

A succesful activation in my belt
In the end, it was a good very cold but bright sunny day and a good time on the radio.

Here you see some pictures, including a nice view of the Pyrenees from the summit. Even without the handheld it would have worth it!

The waking up in the cold wet morning

73, Ignacio

22 Likes

I carry my Icom v86 7 watt vhf with me. I dont use it barely ever mostly for completes when out with another activator. But like you said its always good to have.

73 de VE6JTW

2 Likes

Well done, Ignacio! I’m glad you could save the activation and even worked some S2S on VHF.
Thanks for the report and the nice pictures :slight_smile:

On most activations I carry an HT for the very same reason. So far it has never come to the extreme. Only once - due to a stupid mistake - I thought that my HF rig was broken and was about to deploy plan ‘B’ (i.e. VHF) Then I spotted the mistake (confused headphone and paddle plugs while talking to visitors).

73, Roman

4 Likes