A Request to Activators

A request to Activators. On behalf of Chasers. Please would you consider when operating SSB on 40M. band to spend a little time below 7.100. Chasers such as myself who have older radios which cannot Tx. above 7.100. as this was the top of the 40M. band some years ago. I believe this would be very welcome to myself and many other Chasers using older radios. Thank you for all the pleasure that you bring to Chasers with your Activations… M0CQE Paul.

13 Likes

Paul, That’s an interesting request. Given that there is a good chunk more of the SSB portion of the 40 m band above 7.100 MHz than there is below, that could be a challenge.

My radio has the QRP frequency for each band programmed in, so when I re-tune to a new band I start spinning the dial from there. Often on 40, I end up at 7.130 or above and on a weekend, a good bit higher.

Could your radio be opened up to accommodate 7.100-7.200 MHz?

1 Like

Sounds like Paul could use a long term loaned radio. In the US, even the highest license class can’t go below 7.125 SSB.

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

I had difficulty finding a clear channel anywhere on 40m today, but I will make a point of looking below 7.1 on future activations, and hope to catchup with you before too long, Paul.
Adrian.

Thank you for reading my request. Maybe it is possible to open the Tx. of this radio. however I am too old now to attempt this. Also it may cause accidental Tx. outside the legal UK limit. Thanks for your input. 73 de Paul.

2 Likes

Hi Paul

Good to get you today on 40m, below the 7.100. I’ll certainly make sure I have a look below 7.100 when looking for a free freq on 40m :+1:

Hello Adrian. Good to hear from you. I have this evening had a contact with Jorge EA4HFO on 7,096 Activating EA5/MU-163. Quite a pileup but I made it through.1 point but at my age, “Every Little Counts”. 73 de Paul.

2 Likes

Looking at my log, six out of the last twenty 40m SSB chases have been below 7.100 so a reasonable number of activators already use that section of the band. Of course, if they all did that the QRM would be severe!

1 Like

Thank You Richard. Always a pleasure to contact you. I hope soon to have another QSO with you. Best wishes, 73 de Paul.

1 Like

Good to hear from you Elliott. Many years ago when I first started transmitting on radio, I was a member of The Oldham Amateur Radio Club. And that is how I managed to get on the air. With an old, club radio no member wanted to use. It was a 3 piece radio. I had many great contacts, not SOTA of course. My first was with a W4 Station. I chased DX., not easy at all but very rewarding. “Those were the days”. 73 de Paul.

2 Likes

Hi Paul,
I’m happy to find ANY free frequency on 40m being in central Europe. When I started in SOTA, in VK-Land, most portable activity was around 7090 kHz - with multi-kW Italian and Eastern European stations often sitting on or near that frequency nowadays in Europe, that nice spot has gone. Unfortunately, as activators, we hear everyone in Europe and finding a clear spot often means going higher up the band 7160-7170 is a common area at the moment - I think it’s really the WAB meet-up frequency - but those guys are friendly.
If your radio is a commercial radio (i.e. from one of the three main Japenese manufacturers), there will be a mod to extend it to 7.2 MHz and even 7.3MHz for our US and Australian friends (as they both have 7-7.3).

Once I try to go under 7080 to get away from the kW stations, there are different digital modes filling the band right down to where the CW stops, so above 7.1 is where I most often end-up. Sorry, but that’s the way the 40m band is in Europe.

73 Ed DD5LP/VK2JI/G8GLM.

1 Like

So what is the radio ?

1 Like

Thanks Ed. I completely understand the current situation. I am not asking anyone to do other than consider a short time operating below 7.100 and then only if conditions are suitable and working space is available. Chasers will be able to see/hear for themselves the situation there and if unsuitable, maybe move to another band. Thanks Ed., for your input, much appreciated. 73, de Paul.

Hi Paul,
I understand the situation as well, when US activators are on and 40m is open - many operate above 7.2 MHz - similar problem - I can’t get up there to chase them.
7090 or 7095 is where I would prefer to call when activating but there seems to always be some QRO station on those frequencies or close enough, that they splatter over making contacts impossible.
73 Ed.

2 Likes

Hello Andy. the Radio is Icom, IC- 718. I bought this about the year 2002.

I believe there is just 1 diode that needs to be removed for 100kHz to 30MHz Tx. If you can’t do it I’m sure there’ll be someone local who can do it for you.

1 Like

That is great news Andy. If I can find out which Diode needs to be removed that will probably be the best thing to do, at (least for me). I hope other Chasers can be helped in the same way. Many Thanks for the information.

1 Like

D54, but there maybe more to make the expansion better. Google is (for once) your friend.

1 Like

Wonderful, Andy. Thank You So Much. 73 de Paul.

Hi all, try using split on 40m. That works.

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like