A lot of snow in the Northern Alps...

We have a lot of snow in the Northern Alps. This was discussed in some other threads already.

Attached is a photo from yesterday’s skitour to Zwölferhorn, OE/SB-257. This is Franzl’s Hütte, about 50m below the actual summit. Snow is piled up as high as the roof. They used a snow cutter to keep the entrance open.

As I said before: I look forward to a very long skiing season. And yes, it is snowing again today…

73 Heinz

10 Likes

Ditto on the Bavarian side of the Alps, more snow …
It looks like there’s a fair weight of snow ON the roof of the Hütte, I hope the roof supports are strong enough!

73 Ed.

Our pictures are maybe not as impressive as Heinz’s but it also shows the massive height of the snow in the Austrian Alps. These are from this week’s activation of OE/OO-245 Schafkogel (1.550m)
The summit cross is at least 3 m high…

750 m elevation gain on skis and perfect freeriding conditions in 20 cm of new powder snow :-)) (in forested terrain so no risk of avalanches)

73, Sylvia

12 Likes

I have some more photos from our winter wonder land.

Daytime highs are now around 8°C in our area. The snow in the valley is melting fast, but the skiing season is still safe!

Leonsbergalm on the way to Zimnitz, OE/OO-032, at about 1350m ASL. A group of people stayed in one of the huts. They had some shovelling to do…

Spielbergalm on the way to Wieserhörndl, OE/SB-462.

OE5EEP on the summit of Spielberg (not a SOTA summit, but on the way to Wieserhörndl). The horizontal bar of the summit cross is easily 2m above ground. Would need a summer photo for comparison…

Many of the sign posts and practically all trail markers are still hidden in the snow.

6 Likes

can the height of the snow on the mountain make the mountain go from an 8 pointer to a 10 pointer if its close the border? lol :rofl:

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the snow load has done a lot of damage to the trees/forests in the lower lying areas, which we discovered today during our activation of Eiskogel OE/OO-084