A basic transceiver, a bit of wire and two hills

Hi Andrew, here is a link to the company that makes them: http://www.crkits.com/
They have a new radio on offer now and it looks good. There are a few of the older CW kits still available at very reasonable prices.
Regards
Grant VK4JAZ

Thanks, Grant. Very interesting.

Thank you Jimmy

1 Like

We have planned a trip to Scotland later in the year and as the 13cm kit doesn’t take up too much room I may carry it.

I’ll see if there are any summits that are suitable and in range of the chasers :slight_smile:

Before that I’ll need to extract the transverter from my sky-repeater up-link and try 13cm from a local hill somewhere :slight_smile:

Carolyn

Hi Colin.

I need to find some thing else to try… don’t suggest that strange on-off mode you use :wink:

Carolyn

1 Like

Hi Andrew

I see the CS-40 is sold-out. It was a really nice kit to out together and with the addition of the audio filter from Richard made it a very nice receiver.

The only problem a came across, and that was my own making, was I did have poor TX audio reports on a couple of activations. I realised it was how I positioned myself in relation to the antenna (full 1/4 wave vertical) and that caused RF to get where is wasn’t meant to go!

It is a reliable little transceiver and it gave me the excuse I needed to play radios on hills :slight_smile:

Carolyn

1 Like

Hi Carolyn,

I had not looked at the website for a while and I didn’t recognise the radio type number, so it has been released, been in production and finally closed out all while I wasn’t watching. I have enough radios so I am unlikely to buy yet another low power 40m rig, but I’m always interested to see the approach taken by kit suppliers. But I have a BITx40 waiting to be assembled into a working radio, so that should be finished and put into operational state.

Even production radios from large scale manufacturers can have RF feedback problems and the only way to resolve it seems to be a combination of separation from the immediate field of the antenna, suppression of common mode RF currents on the feedline and reducing the RF sensitivity of the audio stages in the transmitter. Experimentation is the only way to find out whether something is faulty or fixed. Good luck fixing yours, hope it isn’t too persistent…

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

FT8 perhaps? Shouldn’t be too difficult to rig up a harness to feed audio tones to and from a home brew SSB rig.

I got my home brew rig (concocted from various BITX style circuits) recieving FT8 quite nicely a few weeks ago. Kind of tempted to attempt TX too, but I need to obtain a soldering iron for my new shack yet, and I have several old projects to finish off. I’d need to make some sort of interface to trigger TX from the soundcard.

1 Like