A 5th SOTA Mountain Goat for Carine, HB9FZC

Dear all

You can emphasize a new year with different things. Sota milestones are a very nice option. Carine, HB9FZC, achieved her 5th SOTA Mountain Goat today – exactly 5,000 points is a great achievement. Congratulations, Carine! Continue to enjoy our beautiful hobby!

73, Markus HB9DIZ

27 Likes

Congratulations Carine on achieving 5 x Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Congratulations, Carine, on this special achievement.

The many activations with the new Elecraft “Tiny” KH1 since November 23rd have probably demanded a lot of endurance and patience from you and René, HB9NBG, but hopefully, as a change, they have also been a bit fun.

Stay healthy and keep up the good work.

73, Heinz

1 Like

Congratulations, Carine!

73 Jens HB9EKO

1 Like

Congratulations Carine @HB9FZC :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :slightly_smiling_face:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

Herzliche Glückwünsche, liebe Carine! Super Leistung! :clap: :clap: :muscle: :muscle:
Ich hoffe auf ein baldiges S2S!

73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

1 Like

Congratulations, Karine and thanks for the many S2S!
73 Fabio

1 Like

Hallo Carine,
Gratuliere zur 5.Berg Geis :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:
und Wünsch Dir weiterhin Viel Spass beim Sota.
Bis bald S2S
73 Heini IW3AGO

1 Like

Hoi mis Schätzeli, auch von mir ganz herzliche Gratulation zur 5.Berggeiss :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Es macht immer Riesenspass mit Dir zusammen unsere SOTA-Gipfelwelt zu stürmen - es waren übrigens bisher insgesamt 623 Gipfelbesteigungen, die wir gemeinsam erleben durften, seit Du Ende 2015 die Amateurfunk-Lizenz erworben hast :grin: Nur staunen kann ich über Deinen Fleiss und Deine Freude am CW-Betrieb - da muss ich aufpassen, dass ich den Anschluss nicht verliere :sweat_smile: Noch einmal herzliche Gratulation, mis Schätzeli - ich freu mich schon auf die nächsten Aktivierungen mit Dir :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Yes, René, don’t rest on your laurels, hi.

BTW, with low reception signal strengths, I noticed that Carine’s signal remained quite constant, while yours fluctuated a bit up and down in the tactile rhythm. I interpreted this to mean that you are tapping the KH1 paddle with much more force than Carine and this is causing the whip antenna to move back and forth.
Could that be somewhat true?

73, Heinz

3 Likes

Congratulations Carine on your expanded collection of mountain goats. A great achievement! I wish you and Rene many more wonderful and successful mountain experiences. I’m looking forward to more S2S with you when the days get longer and the temperatures become more pleasant.
Vy73 de Robert, HB9OME

1 Like

Dear Carine

Congratulations, big respect. And many thanks for education via video to You and Rene.

73 Michal OM1ALT

1 Like

Well done Carine @HB9FZC :+1::clap:

73 & Happy New Year to you both from me & Nic.

1 Like

Hi Heinz, yes, maybe, that I’m tapping the key harder than Carine - we don’t have the same technic :wink: But I don’t think, that I’m tapping so hard, that the KH1 becomes moving so extremely :sweat_smile: BTW: thanks very much for your patience on our QSOs from the Farnere, HB/LU-010 :+1: There were a lot of stumbling stones this day; the Farnere was our Summit #100 in 2023, and we wanted to activate it absolutely. Unfortunately when we came down from the first summit this day back to our car, when Carine was connecting the smartphone to re-charge it, so we’re save to use “OutdLog” on the second summit, smoke came out of the smartphone, and we had to organize a new one immediately :flushed: Finally we could start for the Farnere only at 16.15, when it was nearly dark, with our head-lamps… the problem was also, that we forgot the extension-coil AXE1 in the car, and so we could only work on 20m, 17m and 15m with the KH1, and so it wasn’t easy to get the 4 QSOs because of the condx by night :sweat_smile: Anyhow, all-in-all it was a great experience, that will rest in our memories :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

Thanks once again - we’re looking forward to our next QSOs…

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

4 Likes

A nice story, René - congratulations on your success and thanks for the details with photo.

Ok re technique of touching the paddle - we get along well, hi.
Seriously, the difference was most noticeable in the cq calls, Carine’s were all exactly the same quiet but piercing (perhaps from memory?) and yours had signal fluctuations/dropouts.
So I had already given up on a QSO with you when, after a while, I could hear HB9BCB de HB9NBG/p out of the silence - so the great patience for this QSO on your part was worth it, well done.
The real problem was probably, as you mention, that the propagation at 20m decayed quite quickly at that time of day.

73 cu, Heinz

2 Likes

Hi Heinz, oh no, Carine as well as my-self, we don’t use any memory-keyers or decoding-features in CW-mode. Carine trains her CW-skills daily with the NMD-tool from HB9HQX and in LCWO - she’s much more diligent than I in this case :sweat_smile: at home I mostly work DX-Peditions with very short CW-QSOs, and from time to time I call CQ in CW and make at least standard-QSOs with exchaninging of Name, QTH and maybe WX, Rig, PWR and ANT, so that I can follow Carine on her CW-QSOs on the summits - because when she’s making her QSOs it’s my turn to log it and when I’m making my QSOs vice-versa :grin: anyhow, it’s a lot of fun to work both in SSB and in CW on our summits :nerd_face:

looking forward to the next one with you :grin:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG

2 Likes

I meant the KH1 message record/play function - it’s no shame, even for a cw professional, to use a 2x cq call from the memory to briefly warm up your fingers or put something in your mouth, hi.

3 Likes

Hi Carine Congratulations on your 5th Mountain Goat
73 Paul
M0PLA

2 Likes

Congratulations to your 5th MG, Carine!
And many thanks for the many S2S!

Have fun and 73, Stephan

2 Likes

Hello Carin
Congratulations on your milestone :clap: :clap: :clap:. You can be really proud of this one. Who achieves this with 97.9% HB summits? :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: I look forward for many future s2s with you…
73 Arthur HB9CEV

2 Likes