7 days, 48 summits

I decided to clear off on my own for a week and get a load of activations done. Jimmy @M0HGY plotted me a kind of circular route kicking off around Welshpool, working across Mid Wales and down towards Pembrokeshire, back across South Wales, then into the Mendips, Exmoor and a brief stop into Cornwall, before moving back across Devon, into the Forest of Dean and Herefordshire. He kindly programmed a huge number of parking spots from his memory into my satnav. There was an ambitious longlist of 64 summits to work through, although that was decidedly unlikely!

In the event, I did start to skip out a few of the longer walks in Wales, and ultimately I ran out of time to finish everything hoped for in the Midlands at the end of the week. Nonetheless, a total of 48 uniques summits were activated in the week. Accommodation was a mixture of camping (3 nights), sleeping in my car (2 nights) plus one guest room in an otherwise closed pub, one Travelodge, and a night in a spiritual retreat (with a free bar!).

Here’s the results:

There were a few interesting experiences! The only antenna carried was the 17m GP for the Challenge flavour. On a couple of activations, I had secured a 17m QSO for the Challenge but then couldn’t get a contact on any mode on 18MHz or on the 2m handheld - but still needed QSOs to qualify the summit. The “exit strategy” was to go to 20m FT4 where the band was still open after 17m had closed - and work the QSOs needed despite the high SWR!

There was an activation where I had qualified for the SOTA points - but hadn’t managed a 17m QSO. CW and SSB produced no responses, and indeed those portions of the band were completely silent. The FT8 frequency 18.100MHz was buzzing away but getting quieter and quieter. I called and called on there, getting nothing, until eventually a line in the RX window went red - and I was being called by YV Venezuela! Ukraine or Italy would have done - but I was happy to accept some South American DX!

Accommodation decisions were always made late in the day. Richard @g3cwi pessimistically advised me that getting accommodation in these Covid times would be difficult, but I was much more relaxed, knowing that I always had the options of my backpacking tent or my car if needed. The choice to go for paid booked accommodation was influenced by when I needed to recharge my 16Ah LifePO4 battery - and when I really wanted a proper wash and a good night’s sleep!

So it’s around 9.30pm and I’m about to go up Mynydd Allt-y-grug GW/SW-032 and thinking I need somewhere to stay. I went on Booking.com and found an ideally-situated single room for £30. I gave them a ring to check if an 11.30pm arrival would be acceptable. It was, so I booked.

After the activation, I looked up a bit more about the place - chiefly to put the postcode in my satnav - and discovered that it was a spiritual retreat. I assumed that it would be a “dry night” therefore, but on arrival and filling in the check-in form, I spotted a healthily stocked sideboard with beers, lagers, wines and spirits. I asked if it was possible to buy a beer to take to my room. The young lady replied “Oh that’s just stuff our previous guests have left behind, feel free to help yourself”.

I almost wished I wasn’t planning on an early start and another full-on multi-summit day, but fortunately my SOTA-obsession won through, and I restricted myself to a can of Stella and a large Baileys… It didn’t half make the £30 room rate incredible value though!

I must make a special mention to Jan @OK2PDT - not only the world’s leading SOTA activator, but one of the world’s leading chasers too. Jan worked me on no less than 27 of the 51 activations - very impressive!

I guess I better get on with entering the logs…!

27 Likes

Thats a fair whack of summits in one trip!

Is that an ordinary Spread Sheet formatted (by you) for SOTA? I’d love to do a weeks trip and get that many activations in but a lot of driving to do so. The only thing I’d not be looking forward to is the logging when I got home!!

David

1 Like

Yeah just MS Excel from a blank workbook.

Well done Tom.

I dream of 1 activation in 7 days. We are in Stage 4 lockdown because 1 in 5 infected people have been ignoring their diagnosis and doing their thing. So much for solidarity.

I would not have been brave enough to head out on that sort of summit carnival with a monobander, albeit you had 2 m.

I don’t suppose you had time for pictures?

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

You know me better than that Ron!

Yeah there’s photos from each of the 51 activations. They will be on my website http://tomread.co.uk in due course, but are already published on my Facebook timeline - feel free.

Sorry to hear about the lockdown. Various areas here in G are being placed into tighter restrictions daily.

Well done Tom - happy logging!!!
Alastair, M0TYM

1 Like

The thing was, it was the 17m Flavour week in the 2020 SOTA Challenge. So I simply HAD to have at least one 18MHz QSO from every activation. That was non-negotiable! As you say, I had my VHF handheld as a sort of back-up (probably more of a back-up in G/GW than it might be in VK3), plus, if in real trouble (as I was twice), I could force a QSO on 20m through the 17m antenna.

Well done Tom, a great effort. 73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 1 of this trip:

Saturday 1st August 2020

Allt y Main GW/NW-059 - Allt y Main NW-059
Y Golfa GW/NW-061 - Y Golfa NW-061
Stingwern Hill GW/MW-030 - Stingwern Hill MW-030
Heath Mynd G/WB-007 - Heath Mynd WB-007
Caeliber Isaf GW/MW-031 - Caeliber Isaf MW-031
Garreg-hir GW/MW-017 - Garreg-hir MW-017
Bryn Amlwg GW/MW-015 - Bryn Amlwg MW-015
Bryn y Fan GW/MW-018 - Bryn y Fan MW-018

Unusually for a batch of my updates, all these report on activations in which I actually gained activator points!

2 Likes

48 gurning selfies - no thanks.

2 Likes

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 2 of this trip:

Sunday 2nd August 2020

Bryn y Fan GW/MW-018 - Bryn y Fan MW-018
Cefn Cenarth GW/MW-039 - Cefn Cenarth MW-039
Mynydd Eppynt GW/SW-018 - Mynydd Eppynt SW-018
Hafod Ithel GW/MW-029 - Hafod Ithel MW-029
Rhos Ymryson GW/MW-035 - Rhos Ymryson MW-035
Brandy Hill GW/MW-037 - Brandy Hill MW-037

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 3 of this trip:

Monday 3rd August 2020

Mynydd Llangyndeyrn GW/SW-039 - Mynydd Llangyndeyrn SW-039
Mynydd Sylen GW/SW-036 - Mynydd Sylen SW-036
Pen-crug-melyn GW/MW-036 - Pen-crug-melyn MW-036
Mynydd Cynros GW/MW-034 - Mynydd Cynros MW-034
Trichrug GW/SW-022 - Trichrug SW-022
Mynydd y Betws GW/SW-028 - Mynydd y Betws SW-028
Mynydd Uchaf GW/SW-031 - Mynydd Uchaf SW-031
Mynydd Allt-y-grug GW/SW-032 - Mynydd Allt-y-grug SW-032

Thanks to Jimmy @m0hgy for the proof reading and advising corrections!

1 Like

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 4 of this trip:

Tuesday 4th August 2020

Mynydd Drumau GW/SW-038 - Mynydd Drumau SW-038
Mynydd Dinas GW/SW-040 - Mynydd Dinas SW-040
Cefn Eglwysilan GW/SW-025 - Cefn Eglwysilan SW-025
Garth Hill GW/SW-034 - Garth Hill SW-034
Mynydd y Lan GW/SW-024 - Mynydd y Lan SW-024
Mynydd Machen GW/SW-030 - Mynydd Machen SW-030

Thanks again to Jimmy @m0hgy for the proof reading and advising corrections!

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 5 of this trip:

Wednesday 5th August 2020

Mynydd Machen GW/SW-030 - Mynydd Machen SW-030
Wentwood GW/SW-033 - Wentwood SW-033
Dundry Down GW/SC-010 - Dundry Down SC-010
Beacon Batch G/SC-003 - Beacon Batch SC-003
Wills Neck G/SC-002 - Wills Neck SC-002
Periton Hill G/SC-006 - Periton Hill SC-006
Dunkery Beacon G/SC-001 - Dunkery Beacon SC-001
Selworthy Beacon G/SC-005 - Selworthy Beacon SC-005

Over to you Jimmy @m0hgy for the proof-reading!

*There’s a new circular walk in the “Lockdown walks” series too - a rather stunning route from Bamford station taking in Bamford Edge that me and Marianne did yesterday - including a bit of mild scrambling for me (Marianne took a longer walk around and avoided putting hand to rock!).

Updates - photos and activation reports - on http://tomread.co.uk for Day 6 of this trip:

Thursday 6th August 2020

Selworthy Beacon G/SC-005 - Selworthy Beacon SC-005
Kit Hill G/DC-003 - Kit Hill DC-003
Christ Cross G/DC-005 - Christ Cross DC-005
Staple Hill G/SC-004 - Staple Hill SC-004
Cleeve Hill G/CE-001 - Cleeve Hill CE-001
Bredon Hill G/CE-003 - Bredon Hill CE-003

If you do take a look at my webpages, please sign the guestbook! (Link on the main home page - http://tomread.co.uk )

Rounding off the activation reports from this Road Trip with a mammoth 9-summit day on Day 7 and something rather more serene and habitual on Day 8:

Friday 7th August 2020

Worcestershire Beacon G/WB-009 - Worcestershire Beacon WB-009
May Hill G/WB-019 - May Hill WB-019
Ruardean Hill G/WB-021 - Ruardean Hill WB-021
Graig Syfyrddin GW/SW-020 - Graig Syfyrddin SW-020
Garway Hill G/WB-013 - Garway Hill WB-013
Aconbury Hill G/WB-024 - Aconbury Hill WB-024
Hegdon Hill G/WB-023 - Hegdon Hill WB-023
Burton Hill G/WB-020 - Burton Hill WB-020
Wapley Hill G/WB-016 - Wapley Hill WB-016

Saturday 8th August 2020 - although if you include these, it becomes 8 days, 53 activations, 50 summits

Gun G/SP-013 - Gun SP-013
The Cloud G/SP-015 - The Cloud SP-015

If you do take a look at my webpages, please sign the guestbook! (Link on the main home page - http://tomread.co.uk/ )