55th birthday at Mt. Egietakogain EA2/NV-055 by EA2IF/P on 11/01/2020

I had announced in this preplanning thread a new way for me to celebrate my birthday:
>Había anunciado en este hilo de planificación una nueva forma de celebrar mi cumpleaños:

Fortunately, the day was perfect. At 09h00z the temperature of this winter morning in Pamplona was +1º C with a nice blue sky. I met with my 2 brothers and my nephew (my 9 y.o. son didn’t finally come) and we drove to the village of Zilbeti, where we met my friend and SOTA colleague JAP, who had driven on his own his recently bought Audi TT.
It was 10h30z when we were starting our hike. The plan was to follow the same track of my previous activation, which you can see in this activation report:
>Afortunadamente, el día fue perfecto. A las 09h00z la temperatura de esta mañana invernal en Pamplona era de +1º C con un bonito cielo azul. Me encontré con mis 2 hermanos y mi sobrino (mi hijo de 9 años no vino finalmnente) y condujimos hasta el pueblo de Zilbeti, donde nos encontramos con mi amigo y compañero SOTA JAP, quien había conducido él solo su recientemente comprado Audi TT.
Eran las 10h30z cuando empezábamos nuestra subida. El plan era seguir la misma ruta de mi anterior activación, que podrán ver en este reportaje de activación:

After a few hundred of meters walked, I realized I had forgotten my fishing rod and my walking stick in the car, so I had to get back to pick them up (I think this is the first time this happens to me). The hike took us 1h30 and it was all the time in the shade. The reward when we got to the summit at 12h00z was not only a nice warm sunshine, but also very great views of the valleys, mountains and the majestic Pyrenees covered in snow.
>Después de unos pocos cientos de metros caminados, me di cuenta de que había olvidado mi caña de pescar y mi palo para andar en el coche, así que tuve que volver a recogerlos (creo que es la primera vez que me pasa esto). La subida nos llevó 1h30 y fue todo el tiempo en la sombra. La recompensa cuando llegamos a la cima a las 12h00z fue no solo el agradable sol brillando, sino también las fantásticas vistas de los valles, montes y los majestuosos Pirineos cubiertos de nieve.

There was a couple at the summit when we arrived and after a brief chatting and explanation of what I was about to do and the SOTA programme, I set up with my 7m fishing rod tied to the trig point cylinder and a +21m long wire as an inverted vee to a 9:1 unun and a 6m long counterpoise wire about 1.5m elevated over some trees branches.
>Había una pareja en la cima cuando llegamos y después de una breve charla y explicación de qué estaba a punto de hacer y del programa SOTA, instalé con mi caña de 7m atada al cilindro del vértice geodésico y un hilo largo de más de 21m como una V invertida hasta el unun de 9:1 y un cable de contraantena de 6m de largo elevado un metro y medio sobre las ramas de unos árboles.

The couple left and I started on 20m CW (14.055) where I logged 22 QSOs in 19 minutes, 1 of which was a S2S with Ignacio EA2BD/P on his MG activation of EA2/NV-092 and 3 were DX with the U.S.A.
Then I wanted to work on 7.055 SSB, but I found that the Speech Processor box wasn’t working and no modulation at all was being produced, either with the processor ON or OFF. I did some quick checks and found that with the microphone directly connected to the rig, the modulation was being trasmitted. But, given the layout of my fully preconnected rigs inside the wooden box of my SOTA-kit, that wouldn’t let me hold the microphone near my mouth, so I abandonned the idea of working SSB and decided to do CW but on 7.055, which is usually a SSB frequency here in Europe, but CW is of course permitted.
The frequency had some QRM with a sort of broadcasting transmission in a language which sounded to me like similar to Russian, but I decided to proceed with my activation, as I wanted to make it only on 7.055 today. I logged 7 QSOs in 10 minutes, one of which was a S2S with HB9BIN/P activating HB/SZ-027. When no more chasers called, I QSYed to 10m.
After a selfspot on 28.055 I called CQ for some minutes but not a single call was heard. I can see now that not a single RBN spot was raised. The band was clearly closed. With no callers and no time to waste, I QSYed to 15m.
A selfspot on 21.055 and some CQing produced 3 QSOs, one of which was a DX with the U.S.A. Thanks Pat KI4SVM. After a number of CQ calls without a response, I QSYed to 20m for a second pass.
A new selfspot on 14.055 and soon I started to have some chasers calling. I logged 12 QSOs in 19 minutes, 3 of which were DX with NA (1 Canada and 2 U.S.A.).
While I was working on this second pass over 20m, I had a glance to the Speech Processor, which I had disconnected after the previous failure and had left at sight in an open pocket of my rucksack. Suddenly I realized that the cable to the microphone was still plugged and it was on the Speech Processor side labelled RADIO. I immediately understood why it wasn’t producing any modulation: it had been reversely connected.
When no more chasers were calling on 20m, I went to 40m to work some SSB.
A selfspot on 7.055 quickly brough the first chasers and I ended logging 23 QSOs in 16 minutes. I didn’t ask to my chasers for a report with and without Speech Processor. I run all the time with the Speech Processor ON and it seemed to work fine, as nobody ever reported any wrong aspect about my modulation.
I would have loved spending longer on the air because it felt really nice in the sunny summit with no wind at all, but the Sun was little by little going down and we still had to dismantle, pack up and over an hour of descent to return to the car, so I decided to call it a day, a great day.
>La pareja se marchó y empecé en 20m CW (14.055) donde anoté 22 QSOs en 19 minutes, 1 de los cuales fue un SaS con Ignacio EA2BD/P en su activación para Mountain Goat (Cabra Montesa) de EA2/NV-092 y 3 fueron DX con los EE.UU.
Después quería trabajar en 7.055 SSB, pero me encontré que la cajita del procesador de voz no funcionaba y no estaba saliendo ninguna modilación, sea con el procesador encendido o apagado. Hice algunas comprobaciones rápidas y encontré que con el micrófono directamente conectado al equipo, la modulación salía. Pero dada la distribución de mis equipos totalmente preconectados dentro de la caja de madera de mi kit-SOTA, ellos no me permitiría mantener el micrófono cerca de mi boca, así que abandoné la idea de trabajar SSB y decidí hacer CW pero en 7.055, que es normalmente una frecuancia SSB aquí en Europa, pero en la que el CW está, por supuesto, permitido.
La frecuencia tenía algo de QRM con una especie de transmisión de un programa de radio en un idioma que me sonaba como similar al Ruso, pero decidí proceder con mi activación porque hoy solo quería hacerla en 7.055. Anoté 7 QSOs en 10 minutos, uno de los cuales fue un SaS con HB9BIN/P activando HB/SZ-027. Cuando ya no llamaron más cazadores, hice QSY a 10m.
Después de un autospot en 28.055 llamé CQ durante algunos minutos pero no oí una sola llamada. Ahora puedo ver que no saltó ni un solo spot RBN. La banda estaba claramente cerrada. Sin llamantes y sin tiempo que perder, hice QSY a 15m.
Un autospot en 21.055 y algunos CQ produjeron 3 QSOs, uno de los cuales fue un DX con los EE.UU. Gracias Pat KI4SVM. Después de algunas llamadas CQ sin respuesta, hice QSY a 20m para un segundo pase.
Un nuevo autospot en 14.055 y enseguida empecé a tener cazadores llamando. Anoté 12 QSOs in 19 minutos, 3 de los cuales fueron DX con NA (1 Canada y 2 EE.UU.).
Mientras trabajaba en este segundo pase por 20m, eché un vistazo al Procesador de Voz que había desconectado tras el fallo anterior y había dejado a la vista en un bolsillo abierto de mi mochila. De pronto, me di cuenta de que el cable al micrófono estaba todavía conectado y lo estaba en el lado etiquetado como RADIO. Inmediatamente comprendí porqué no estaba produciendo modulación: había sido conectado al revés.
Cuando ya no más cazadores llamaban en 20m, fui a 40m para trabajar algo de SSB.
Un autospot en 7.055 trajo rápidamente los primeros cazadores y acabé anotando 23 QSOs en 16 minutos. No pedí a mis cazadores un control con y sin procesador de voz. Trabajé todo el tiempo con el procesador de voz encendido y pareció trabajar bien, pues nadie reportó en algún momento algún aspecto negativo sobre mi modulación.
Me habría encantado pasar más tiempo en el aire porque se estaba verdaderamente bien en la soleada cima con nada de viento, pero el Sol iba poco a poco bajando y todavía teníamos que desmantelar, empacar y más de una hora de descenso para volver al coche, así que decidí dar el día por terminado, un gran día.

Following some pictures my friend JAP took of myself at work during the activation.
>A continuación algunas fotos que mi amigo JAP mi tomó mientras trabajaba durante la activación.

Today’s was a great scenery!
>El de hoy fue un gran escenario!

This is the full log:
>Este es el log completo:

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

Thanks dear chasers for your calls, QSOs a good wishes of a happy birthday to me.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.
>Gracias, estimados cazadores, por sus llamadas, QSOs y buenos deseos de feliz cumpleaños para mí.
Estaré esperando copiarles pronto a todos ustedes de nuevo desde una cima.

Guru

15 Likes

Very nice activation, happy birthday Guru, you walked through some lovely scenery there, the views and the distant Pyrenees look beautiful.

Nice fix on the compressor, that little connecting cable is left on the tx side of my compressor, yours will be now too! Glad it worked well.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Congratulations on a successful activation Guru.
Great that you had a good day.

The weather here was nowhere near as nice as yours, so unfortunately I was not able to get out to attempt an S2S (as I would have liked and was planning). Instead I went with my XYL and kids to meet my XYL’s sister in Skipton (branded as ‘Gateway to the Dales’), where we walked along the canal and through the woods, before going for a coffee in Starbucks. Starbucks is next to Cotswold Outdoor (a large outdoor clothing and equipment chain), so I took myself off to go and look at all the outdoor gear eye candy!

Looking forward to working again soon.

73 Colin

1 Like

Great way to celebrate your birthday Guru! Glad you sorted your audio problem :slight_smile:
73 de Paul G4MD

1 Like

Hi Guru,

I’m glad you enjoyed your birthday activation.
I was just about to go QRT when I saw your spot, and despite you had a pile up in progress your signals were loud and we could complete the S2S.

I also enjoyed the bright and clear day in my summit.
Thanks for the qso and looking forward to your 56 celebration next year ;o)

73 de Ignacio

2 Likes

Happy 55th Birthday and Congratulations.
You made a lots of contact on that special day and on special frequencies.
I wish I could try to make another QSO with you but I had other commitment on the same day as I mentioned earlier.
I am very happy to see your SOTA successes.
73 de W7AMR
Attila

1 Like

Very nice activation and happy birthday Guru!
High class, as always!
I read your report with interest.
73!
Vlad

2 Likes