4 new uniques + 1 by EA2IF/P on 12&13/09/2020. My most SOTA-prolific weekend.

I tried an activation of Mt. Berregu EA2/NV-076 a few weeks ago, a new unique for me, but had to cancel due to rain before even reaching the start point at the village of Espinal.
This last Saturday, September 12th, was a totally different story, with very good WX and I was not only able to successfully activate Mt. Berregu EA2/NV-076, but also another new unique for me, Mt. Girizu EA2/NV-042 and even Mt. Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012 too, which I had activated previously but it’s an interesting drive-up 6-pointer, so it always worths a visit.
>Intenté una activación de Berregu EA2/NV-076 hace pocas semanas, una nueva cima para mí, pero tuve que cancelar por lluvia incluso antes de llegar al punto de arranque en el pueblo de Espinal.
Este último sábado, 12 de septiembre, fue una historia totalmente diferente, con muy buen tiempo y no solo pude activar con éxito Berregu EA2/NV-076, sino también otra nueva cima para mí, Girizu EA2/NV-042 y además Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012, que ya había activado antes, pero es una interesante cima de 6 puntos accesible en coche, que siempre merece la pena ser visitada.

This is the map showing the location of these 3 summits towards to North-East of Pamplona:
>Este el el mapa que muestra la ubicación de estas 3 cimas hacia el Nordeste de Pamplona:

The hike went through a great beech trees forest and the path was very clearly marked with red marks on the trees:
>La ascensión discurrió a través de un magnífico hayedo y la ruta estaba claramente balizada con marcas rojas en los árboles:

Passed by the entrance of an old mine:
>Pasé por la entrada de una vieja mina:

Enjoyed great ancient trees like this one:
>Disfruté árboles ancianos magníficos como este:

As well as capriciously shaped ones like this one:
>Así como otros de forma caprichosa como este:

Also passed by the entrance of a chasm:
>También pasé por la entrada de una sima:

imagen
When I finally reached the summit, I found it was not too wide nor flat for a comfortable operation and an easy setup. See my views from the operating position:
>Cuando alcancé finalmente la cima, encontré que no era demasiado amplia ni llana como para una operación confortable y una instalación fácil. Vean las vistas desde mi posición de operación:

This picture shows the summit with the fishing rod to the left hand side and my operating position at the right hand side.
>Esta foto muestra la cima con la caña de escar a la izquierda y mi posición de operación a la derecha.

Not having any room for the classic sloper or inverted vee configuration of my endfed wire, I had the wire making the shape of a number 4 from the top of my fishing rod and the help of a couple of branches.
>No teniendo sitio para las clásicas configuraciones de mi hilo alimentado en el extremo en sloper o en V invertida, tuve el hilo haciendo la forma de un número 4 desde el extremo superior de mi caña de pescar y con la ayuda de un par de ramas.

The activation went like this:
>La activación fue así:

• 40m SSB: 1 QSO S2S with Alberto EA2DCA/P activating EA1/CT-028.

• 40m CW: 17 QSOs, 2 of which S2S, after about 25 minutes QRV.

• 30m CW: 5 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 20m SSB: 10 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 20 minutes QRV.

• 20m CW: 2 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 20m SSB: 3 QSOs, 2 of which S2S after about 20 minutes QRV.

• 40m CW: 3 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 20m CW: 6 QSOs, 1 of which DX with the USA after about 10 minutes QRV.

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

Once back at the parking place, this is a satisfied Guru after a very nice SOTA.
>Una vez de vuelta en el sitio donde aparqué, este es un Guru satisfecho después de una muy bonita SOTA.

I had a very nice lunch at the village of Espinal, after which I felt in the mood for more SOTA and decided to drive a bit further to activate a new unique for me called Mt. Girizu EA2/NV-042 first and then the drive-up 6 pointer Mt. Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012 later.
From the alto de Ibañeta, it’s possible to drive the first part of the way to Mt. Girizu EA2/NV-042. In fact, it’s possible to drive up to the very summit with a proper 4x4 vehicle, but not so much with my car, so I parked it where you’ll see in the following picture and started a steep but not too long hike:
>Tuve una comida muy agradable en el pueblo de Espinal, tras la cual me sentí con humor para más SOTA y decidí conducir un poco más adelante para activar primero una nueva cima para mí llamada Girizu EA2/NV-042 y después la cima de 6 puntos accesible en coche Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012. Desde el alto de Ibañeta se puede conducir la primera parte del camino a Girizu EA2/NV-042. De hecho, es posible conducir hasta la mismísima cima con un verdadero vehículo 4x4, pero no tanto con mi coche, así que aparqué donde verán en la foto siguiente y empecé una empinada pero no demasiado larga subida:

See, from this very same point, the rest of the hike left to the top:
>Vean, desde este mismísimo punto, el resto de la subida que quedaba hasta lo alto:

Once at the top, great views of the following summit of the day (Mt. Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012):
>Una vez arriba, fantásticas vistas de la próxima cima del día (Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012):

And the valley too:
>Y del valle también:

It was windy and it looks like it often is. I would guess always, according to the shape of this tree:
Hacía viento y parece que lo hace a menudo. Supongo que siempre, según la forma de este árbol:

I had no constrains to setup with my usual sloper, but I forgot taking a picture.
>No tuve limitaciones para instalar mi habitual sloper, pero olvidé hacer una foto.

>La activación fue así:

• 20m CW: 7 QSOs, 2 of which DX with the USA after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 30m CW: 6 QSOs after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 40m CW: 13 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 20 minutes QRV.

I didn’t work SSB (sorry phone chasers) and after dismantle and descent, I drove up to the next and last summit of the day Mt Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012.
My setup there was exactly the same of the last time I activated there, the sloper and the counterpoise extended on the grass.
>No trabajé SSB (perdonen cazadores de fonía) y después de desmontar y bajar, subí conduciendo hasta la próxima y última cima del día Ortzantzurieta EA2/NV-012.
Mi instalación fue exactamente la misma de la última vez que activé allí, la sloper y la contraantena extendida sobre la hierba.

The day was about to end so a quick one had to be:
>El día estaba a punto de acabar, así que tuvo que ser una rápida:

>La activación fue así:

• 40m CW: 3 QSOs in about 10 minutes QRV

• 20m CW: 6 QSOs, 1 of which DX with the USA after about 20 minutes QRV.

• 40m CW: 4 QSOs after about 15 minutes QRV.

Quick dismantle and descent was necessary before it got too dark:
Un desmontaje y descenso rápidos se hicieron necesarios antes de que oscureciese demasiado:

This is the only view I took from this mountain during descent:
Esta es la única vista que tomé desde esta montaña durante el descenso:

During the day I was in contact with my daughter Eva, with whom I agreed on a plan for Sunday, Sep 13th: I would drive her to the city of Tudela at about 100 Km South of Pamplona and while she would spend the day with a friend of her there, I would try to do some of the SOTAs around Tudela which I had never activated before.
See in the following map the location of Tudela with respect to Pamplona and the 2 SOTAs I finally activated:
Durante el día estuve en contacto con mi hija Eva, con quien acordé un plan para el domingo, 13 de septiembre: yo la llevaría en coche a Tudela, a unos 100 Km al sur de Pamplona y mientras ella pasaría el día con una amiga suya, yo intentaría hacer algunas SOTAs alrededor de Tudela que no había activado nunca antes.
Vean en el mapa siguiente la ubicación de Tudela con respecto a Pamplona y las 2 SOTAs que finalmente activé:

imagen
Note that this map’s not the same scale as the one at the top of this report.
>Noten que este mapa no tiene la misma escala que el que está al principio de este reportaje.

I first went to Loma Negra EA2/NV-185, which I found to be a drive up summit:
>Primero fui a Loma Negra EA2/NV-185, que resultó ser accesible en coche:

And this is a picture of my setup there with the usual sloper and the counterpoise wire down on ground.
>Y esta es una foto de mi instalación con la sloper habitual y el cable de la contraantena por el suelo.

The landscape here is so much different compared to the one in the area of Pamplona and further North. But it also has its own beauty…
>El paisaje es tan diferente comparado con el de la zona de Pamplona y más al Norte. Pero también tiene su belleza…

>La activación fue así:

• 40m CW: 11 QSOs, 5 of which S2S in about 25 minutes QRV.

• 30m CW: 9 QSOs in about 20 minutes QRV.

• 20m SSB: 10 QSOs, 3 of which S2S and 1 DX with the USA after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 20m CW: 15 QSOs, 5 of which S2S and 1 DX with the USA after about 25 minutes QRV.

After pack up and return to the car, I programmed the coordinates Lat Long of the start point of the nearest SOTA from my current location and drove there through mainly dry and dusty dirt roads. When I got to the start point of Nasa Alta EA2/NV-159, I realised it was too hot and I was hungry + thirsty, so I decided to go find some place to have lunch and get back later with more energy and well hydrated. The problem was that driving in the middle of that desert-like territory didn’t take me to any restaurant, bar or similar until I got back to the city of Tudela. There, I had my lunch of a paella, and a cheese cake plus a coffee in a terrace comfortably sat in the shade.
>Después de recoger y regresar al coche, programé las coordenadas de Lat. y Long. del punto de arranque de la SOTA más cercana a mi ubicación actual y conduje hasta allí principalmente por secos y polvorientos caminos de tierra y piedras. Cuando llegué al punto de arranque de Nasa Alta EA2/NV-159, me di cuenta de que hacía demasiado calor y estaba hambriento + sediento, así que decidí ir a buscar algun lugar donde comer y volver después con más energía y bien hidratado. El problema fue que conducir en medio de ese territorio desértico, no me llevó a ningún restaurante, bar o similar hasta que volví a Tudela. Allí comí una paella y una tarta de queso más un café sentado en una terraza confortablemente a la sombra.

When I got back to the car after my lunch, I realised I was at about the same distance (about 20 Km) of 2 different summits and I decided for the closest one, which was at 20.2 Km, while the other one was at 20.8 Km.
>Cuando regresé al coche después de la comida, me di cuenta de que estaba a aproximadamente la misma distancia (unos 20 Km) de 2 cimas diferentes y me decidí por la más cercana, que estaba a 20,2 Km, mientras la otra estaba a 20,8 Km.

I drove to the start point of Yugo EA2/NV-166 in a dirt road and hiked on that dry dusty ground until I found a nice place to setup. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take any pictures here other than this view of these 10-pointers you’ll see following because the memory of my phone got full and I didn’t want to waste my time clearing the memory in that very bright sunny day almost not being able to see the screen of my smartphone.
>Conduje al punto de comienzo de Yugo EA2/NV-166 en un camino de tierra y piedras y ascendí por esa seca y polvorienta tierra hasta que encontré un buen lugar para instalar. Desgraciadamente, no pude tomar ninguna foto aquí aparte de esta vista de estos de 10 puntos que verán a continuación porque la memoria de mi teléfono se llenó y no quise desperdiciar mi tiempo haciendo sitio en la memoria con ese brillante sol casi sin poder ver la pantalla de mi smartphone.

Far in the distance the 10-pointers Mt. Moncayo (left) and Peña Negrilla (right).
>Lejos en la distancia, los de 10 puntos Moncayo (izquierda) y Peña Negrilla (derecha).

>La activación fue así:

• 20m CW: 9 QSOs, 3 of which DX with the USA after about 20 minutes QRV.

• 30m CW: 12 QSOs after about 25 minutes QRV.

• 40m CW: 18 QSOs after about 20 minutes QRV.

• 10m CW: 1 sked QSO with Ignacio EA2BD.

• 20m CW: 4 QSOs, 2 of which DX with the USA after about 20 minutes QRV.

For some reason, I could neither raise an alert nor selfspot from this summit, however, my whatsapp was working and I could be in touch with my friends who nicely spotted me on every new frequency I wanted to operate on. Thank you very much dear friends.
>Por alguna razón, no pude ni poner una alerta ni auto spotearme desde esta cima, sin embargo, mi whatsapp funcionaba y pude estar en contacto con mis amigos, quienes amablemente me anunciaron en cada nueva frecuencia donde quería operar. Muchas gracias queridos amigos.

It was a very enjoyable SOTA weekend and I had never activated 5 summits in a weekend, being 4 of them new uniques for me. It was indeed the most profitable SOTA weekend ever for me.
>Fue un muy agradable fin de semana de SOTA y nunca había activado 5 cimas en un fin de semana, siendo 4 de ellas nuevas para mí. Realmente fue el fin de semana sotero más provechoso para mí hasta ahora.

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs. I’ll be looking forward to copying you all soon again from a summit.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs. Estaré esperando copiarles pronto a todos ustedes de nuevo desde una cima.

Guru

19 Likes

Hi Guru,

it seems that I worked you at least of 3 of your SOTA activations, tks a lot, gracias.

Best 73 es tks.

CT1DRB/OK8RB
David Quental

1 Like

Thanks for the report and the marvellous photos, Guru!
And thanks for two S2S QSOs on Saturday, Sept. 12th (NV-076 <-> BW-233 and NV-042 <-> BW-057)

Below is a photo of my working conditions on DM/BW-057 at closing time :slight_smile:
grs and hope to cu soon!
73, Roman

1 Like

Hi Guru,
what a great tour North and South you did!
Thanks a lot for your QSY to try 10m with me from EA2/NV-166. With the distance between us I couldn’t work you in the usual 40 - 20 m bands , but it worked fine on 10m to give me a complete of that summit. Great!

A hard and hot day, I guess, on that desertic area. Take a deserved rest and looking forward your next one.

Un abrazo
73 Ignacio

1 Like

Hello Guru, great report and photos. You look well in your selfy 73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi Guru, EA2IF,

Thank you for the nice report, and the chance to see some of the landscape through your photos!

I always enjoy working you here in the US,

Andy, N4LAG

1 Like

Saludos, Guru.

That was quite a day you had. Congratulations!
I was hearing you in the noise on 14062 at 1540Z on 12/9/2020,
but not strong enough to try calling. Still a thrill to SWL you.
My summit was W6/ND-270.
One of these days we will make an S2S.

David N6AN

1 Like

Great report Guru and as usual some interesting views of the stunning countryside.

I was also pleased I managed to chase you on the 13th. Nice to chase you instead of you always chasing me. :slight_smile:

David

1 Like