Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

2m SSB East Coast USA SOTA

Every so often I think it would be nice to experiment with 2m SSB doing a SOTA activation. Currently I have a KX2 so I would have to get an 817/857 to get me on the air with 2m SSB. Is it worth the investment? I’m trying to gauge how active 2m SSB is. I don’t want to invest in something that only might be used twice a year during VHF contests only. Have you used 2m SSB from a summit? What was your experience like?

3 Likes

I have a transverter for my KX2 for when I want to do 2 metre SSB. Cheaper than buying another radio.

Malen
VE6VID

4 Likes

I second the transverter option - I had a good experience adding one to my KX2 as a relatively cost effective way to try out 2M SSB. More info in this thread:

1 Like

AJ,

First thanks for the summits.

Second I have often thought the same thing, I already have an FT857D to try 2M SSB with but just have not gotten around to it.

2 Likes

thanks always for the chases Beau. Will see how it goes.

2 Likes

I think it’s probably pretty rare outside of contest weekends (and even then, I don’t think there’s more than a handful of people operating the contest portable). As a vhf contest rover, I’ve got all the gear necessary for it, however. If you’re ever interested in trying something out, I’d be happy to haul my FT-818 and Arrow antenna up a summit and try for an S2S contact with you.

4 Likes

I’d be up for trying an S2S as well!

2 Likes