2m SSB East Coast USA SOTA

Every so often I think it would be nice to experiment with 2m SSB doing a SOTA activation. Currently I have a KX2 so I would have to get an 817/857 to get me on the air with 2m SSB. Is it worth the investment? I’m trying to gauge how active 2m SSB is. I don’t want to invest in something that only might be used twice a year during VHF contests only. Have you used 2m SSB from a summit? What was your experience like?

3 Likes

I have a transverter for my KX2 for when I want to do 2 metre SSB. Cheaper than buying another radio.

Malen
VE6VID

4 Likes

I second the transverter option - I had a good experience adding one to my KX2 as a relatively cost effective way to try out 2M SSB. More info in this thread:

1 Like

AJ,

First thanks for the summits.

Second I have often thought the same thing, I already have an FT857D to try 2M SSB with but just have not gotten around to it.

2 Likes

thanks always for the chases Beau. Will see how it goes.

2 Likes

I think it’s probably pretty rare outside of contest weekends (and even then, I don’t think there’s more than a handful of people operating the contest portable). As a vhf contest rover, I’ve got all the gear necessary for it, however. If you’re ever interested in trying something out, I’d be happy to haul my FT-818 and Arrow antenna up a summit and try for an S2S contact with you.

4 Likes

I’d be up for trying an S2S as well!

2 Likes

Anyone want to try for a 2m SSB S2S on Sunday, June 12?

73 de Jonathan “JB”

1 Like

Jonathan, I’m always looking for a challenge. I plan on activating something from Central PA Sunday @1100 local time maybe from a canoe! Marine Mobile SOTA😂

Email me if you want to coordinate!

Gas hit over $5.00 gallon near my QTH very expensive this summer to get to summits :rage:

Thank goodness I can hit a couple while on work trips.

Erik
KE8OKM

3 Likes

That’s dirt cheap! Here petrol is around £1.70 per litre which is about $8 per US gallon.

2 Likes

I understand European gas prices. Gas has doubled in the past year. $120 to fill up my vehicle now. A trip to play SOTA now is $350-$400 which is hard to justify.

Europe has great public transport, we don’t and distances are great to travel even within your own state which are bigger than some countries.

Anyway hoping it drops in price. It’s starting to hit Aviation pretty hard with over $10 a gallon in some places. 2 years ago we balked at $4 a gallon.

4 Likes

How things change in 24 hours - now £2.01/litre

1 Like

Erik,

Weather permitting, I plan to activate from W1/HA-033 Mount Tripyramid in NH on Sunday. 2m SSB and 2m FM. I can try CW too. I will confirm time in my alert.

Respectfully,
Jonathan “JB”

P.S. thanks for all the SOTA CW QSOs!

2 Likes