Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

25 years!

In a few weeks, on 7th July, it will be 25 years since my first call sign, M1BUU, was granted.

I’m not too sure how I’ll mark my quarter century as a licenced ham, but I’m thinking about doing a SOTA activation. The date falls on a Thursday, so I’ll have a few hours between school runs. I’m thinking that I’ll do Whernside G/NP-004 or Pen y ghent G/NP-010.

As a double whammy, my favourite QRP rig; the RockMite will turn 20 years old around the same time. The RockMite was given away as a party favour at the Lobstercon convention in July 2002. The radio was meant to be a bit of fun to communicate across a campsite. Fairly soon it became clear that the RockMite was capable of communicating across a much wider distance than just a campsite. Word got out and Dave Benson K1SWL started selling kits.

I discovered the RockMite in 2007 and I enjoyed building one, however it was a couple of years later when I plucked up enough courage to call CQ with it, whilst on a SOTA activation of Ingleborough, G/NP-005.

I’ve had many memorable RockMite QSOs over the years, including several transatlantic ones. I think it would be great to have some sort of celebration to celebrate 20 years of the RockMite.

Is there anybody else out there with a RockMite who’d like to put it on air in early July?

73, Colin

11 Likes