20m to VK/ZL to EU open daily to QRP - give 20m a go! (Part 1)

Brilliant to get you in the log Andrew. Well done to you and the rest of the VK & ZL crew for getting up hills this past week and providing about as much RF fun as you can get!

Cheers, Fraser

2 Likes

Hi, TNX for qso.
73 José

1 Like

Marcin started early in the morning. He called you from Polish sq9ita / p only qrp but you were 55. unfortunately no big antenna from my friends helped. again dx = selfishness. maybe another time
sq9mdf

Well done Andrew!

Ironically, I couldn’t get through to you for a S2S contact on 20M.
I could hear you, but I was obviously drowned out by the amazing signals coming in from EU.

I also managed a S2S with Fraser… thanks!

My set-up was almost identical to yours…linked dipole, 7M squid pole, 8Ah LIFEPO4 battery, FT-897D radio (the 897D and 857D have the same boards). I was running 20 watts.

At times it was difficult to find a clear frequency on 20M there was so much activity.

I hope to activate another VK3 summit over the weekend.

Thanks to all the chasers and S2S contacts.

Col VK3GTV

3 Likes

Great to work you Col. It was a struggle at first, however you came up with time. Great effort!

I plan on being out early on Sunday, so maybe a chance for another…

Fraser

1 Like

Hi Fraser

The temptation to work another GM summit S2S is too much. I will activate a VK1 summit from 0530 UTC Sunday to 0710 UTC. Sunset is 0730 UTC and the ambient temp drops very quickly this time of year.

Folks in VK, how about activating a couple more VK peaks?

The VK space weather forecast is indicating enhanced propagation conditions for Saturday. There doesn’t appear to be any sign of degraded conditions in the next 48 hours. :+1:

Regards

Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Wish I’d stayed on my summit for last night - but it was about 3 degrees at 4pm (good hard frost here, 1000m below, this morning) and the idea of hanging around another 1.5hrs for the beginning of the opening didn’t appeal. I really do need to toughen-up before winter!

However, did manage to work TM15IF from the caravan on 14.310 / F/PO-207 with armchair copy. Didn’t get the operator’s personal call, but thanks for that, whoever you were! My first F summit.

And I now know what Fraser MM0EFI sounds like. Sadly it was a 1-way only QSO with my 20w from a valley-floor camp apparently insufficient, So still have not got a Scottish summit in the log. Maybe tonight?!

Alert in for 6pm on ZL3/CB-451 - the 6-pointer photographed in my earlier post. Here’s hoping for a warmer evening!

4 Likes

Will do an activation on Sunday as well. Mt Lambie again.

Wal VK2WP

I will trying from France from FL/NO-087. :slight_smile:

Andrew, I was at qth last night & heard you work your way through the pile up. Well done. I went up to 10M & worked a VK3 on digi, then we both changed to ssb & then moved to 12M. 58 both ways on 12M & 55 on 10M ssb. CW wasn’t an option. I don’t know if you have those bands but just food for thought.
Rick

1 Like

Hi Col,

Congrats on working Fraser S2S, it’s quite rare to pick up a GM peak. I did listen for you on 14.320 but nothing heard.

The space weather forecast is looking good for today and tomorrow.

Again well done!

73, Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

I’ll be out later today, Saturday, from about 0600 UTC at VK3/VC-031.

I hope to get some EU DX on 20m SSB

2 Likes

Good luck Peter I’ll be listening but only from the home QTH unfortunately

Listening to Peter VK3ZPF on 14.388 MHz SSB work a massive EU pile up. Well done Peter.

Edit: 14.338 MHz

Andrew VK1AD

I hope that was a typo … perhaps 14.288?
73 Ed.

Ben Ohau - ZL3/CB-451 - 1522m, 6pts

That was chaos. Sorry to all who didn’t get through. The combination of double-ups and the wind (45km/h on arrival, 70km/h+ on departure) howling overhead made for very difficult copy. Thankfully someone has built a small shieling - that UK style circular stone wall shelter - on the summit. The first I’ve encountered in NZ. So was able to lie down and be out of the wind, but the noise was horrendous!

A real climb this time after the easy bumps and lumps I’ve been activating so far for these ZL-EU contacts. Defined by at least a 1000m climb, and this one came in at +1012m from carpark to summit.

53 contacts all up. One summit to summit with DL3EC - thanks again! All over Europe, a good complement of ZLs and VKs, and one US station.

Apologies to the 2nd attempted summit to summit. Your signal was there for one letter gone for the next. Very rapid QSB if QSB it was. I’d catch one or 2 letters each call, but could never work out what order they all went in. Thanks for all the attempts though - you get the prize for perseverance…

Will go through the logs in the morning and see where you were all from!

Shower, dinner and bed is all I’m up for right now.

(and yes Jessie, feeding the dog).

4 Likes

Was a typo, should be 14.338.

Andrew VK1AD

Matt,

Many thanks, that was me as F/M0WIV/P calling from FL/NO-087. Your signal was very clear, 55 to 57. The summit I was on is low (330m) and rounded so not the best take-off. I was using a dipole running N to S and 10W from an IC-705. But even just to be heard in ZL is a first for me. :slight_smile: I will indeed persevere and may try again tomorrow after checking the speech compressor settings, which are not optimal I think.

John

1 Like

Ach. Should have remembered your alert - I’d probably have got it with that in mind. You were at a real disadvantage with the extra prefix there!

Scribbles on pad are: F5? | K?WI | FV ? WIF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at 20m to VK/ZL to EU open daily to QRP - give 20m a go! (Part 2).