2023 W7O Campout

We are less than 2 weeks away from our 2nd Annual W7O Campout! The campground is basically full but if you are interested in coming, there are still a few people willing to share their camping space. I am not sure of the motel and cabin availability. Let me know asap and I can send you the list of those with room. This has grown to be a pretty big event, around 60 SOTA ops will be joining us this year so get ready for a busy weekend!

Amy-AG7GP
Ag7gp.amy@gmail.com

Original announcement:

7 Likes

Hi Amy,
Thank you for FB QSO today.
See you on "W7O Campout” weekend!!
de JG0AWE / Hiro WAKA

2 Likes

Hi,
Death few active participants on 17 and 15 meters… Too bad !
Only Pat @K7GUD and Bill @K7WXW, thank you guys !
Regards,
Chris - F4WBN

4 Likes

Chris. Great to hear you. You were the first and had a good signal, 539, and very clear. Thanks for being there. 15 was pretty good. So was 20 and 40. More peaks this weekend.

2 Likes

Well, there are plenty of W7O’s on there today (Friday)! And I hear you,
Chris F4WBN, you are louder than a lot of the W7 stations at my QTH!
Happy activating and chasing this weekend.
John, K6YK

2 Likes

Hi All,
Thanks to all those who came yesterday on 17 and 15 meters even very late in the evening. Moreover the propagation was at the rendezvous! Great!
73 - Chris

6 Likes

What a great experience and fantastic group of people! I’m so happy I made the trip.

5 Likes

Roy. Great pic. Glad you came out. Very nice to meet you.

3 Likes

I just got home, lots of unpacking to do but boy was it worth it. It was fabulous to meet so many people and see the joy, laughter, and accomplishments. Once I settle I’ll share some pics. I would not doubt we did about 300 activations. de AG7GP

9 Likes

Had a great time this weekend! Here is Phil (N7PMB), Kevin (front, AK7U), Alan (back, NM5S), myself, and Guy (N7UN/NS0TA) after a successful activation of W7O/CS-003 (credit to AK7U for the photo). Thanks Amy for the coordination and thanks to all for some great eyeball QSOs and lots of S2S!

8 Likes

It was great to meet everyone at Diamond Lake. So much fun! Such a great crew! Great vibes and cool (RF) waves.

Thursday, W7MTB and I caravanned down to Diamond Lake and hit 3 summits on the way: Crescent, Walker, and Skookum. We’d hoped to get all our QSOs on 2 meters, but there wasn’t much action and we had to set up HF to get our 4 QSOs (needed for SOTA points) on each summit. I did do some Out Houses on the Air though.

Friday, a party of us (K7WXW, ND7Y, W7MTB, and myself N7KOM) hiked Mt. Bailey. We got lots of 2m Summit to summit QSOs and plenty of chasers on 2m too. We did here a station on Pine Mountain, east of Bend. That station couldn’t hear us with my MFJ Longranger. ND7Y quickly set up his 4 element beam and we got the radio plugged in just in time to hear the station say “Clear”. Dang! We called and called, but they were gone. We packed up and did a Mt. Bailey “shift change” as the next group of activators made it to the summit.

On Saturday Adam K6ARK and myself climbed Mt. Thielsen (W7O/CS-002) and activated on 2m FM and 20m CW. We both got QSOs with Doc N5LR (~82 miles). On 20m CW I had a QSO with JG0AWE in Japan. Fun! After Thielsen we decided to attempt Hollys Ridge (W7O/CS-007) on Thielsen’s east side. It was a sufferfest of a hike. Bad rock forced us down onto a long traverse across hot sand. We got more 2m QSOs there and then set up Adam’s tiny tiny MTR2b in some sparse shade and cooled off while making contacts on 20 meters. The hike back to the car was long and hot. We stopped to filter more water in a glacial stream before rejoining the PCT. Round trip the outing was 16.8miles and 5600’ gain.

Sunday Adam and I knocked out Tipsoo in the AM and then I gave him a lift to Medford Airport. We had some amazing tacos there. I hit two drive ups (and thankfully didn’t run into WJ7WJ in the forest) on my way back to camp.

I ended the event with 9 Activations, 58 points, 150 QSOs (as an activator, plenty more as a chaser), 57 S2S QSOs, 205 S2S Points, passed 100 Unique summits, and passed 2500 chaser points.

So much fun. Thank you to everyone who participated and a huge thank you to Amy AG7GP for organizing and hosting!

73 de Tim N7KOM

12 Likes

I think I got you at a few this weekend. Not a lot of time or space for hf on some mountains but always great to hear you! 73

2 Likes

Great write-up with pics, and congrats on 100 unique summits! 73, James WA7JNJ

2 Likes

'Twas a great time guys, and my first SOTA CW QSO (of sorts)! Thx for the help Nathan N7NTW!
I snagged a brief video while heading down Mt. Scott

5 Likes

A little preview of the Thielsen upcoming Thielsen video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/P6-fU2vcPbQ?feature=share

3 Likes

Thank you Amy again for organizing such a great event, and best part was seeing everyone and hanging out for a few days exploring new summits!

Sharing a small glimpse of what the event was like from my perspective, and can’t wait to see other videos and pics! 73, James WA7JNJ

7 Likes

Hi James, great video of your camp out with the other activators :+1:
Cheers to you, Geoff vk3sq :beers:

1 Like

Another amazing year for our annual W7O/PNW campout. Close to 60 operators attended and you couldn’t ask for a better crowd. Thank you to those who helped me along with the organizing, especially Robin, N7HAP, who kept me on course and insisted we bring lots of chairs and they all were needed, and Etienne, K7ATN, for gathering all the summit data for the summits in the area. The YL Sunday Night activation was a hit too, with 8 ladies on the mountain! See ya all next year! 73, Amy/AG7GP

6 Likes

Thanks so much to Amy for organizing the Northwest Campout near Crater Lake. Enough points were gathered by N6IZ to achieve Mountain Goat status. All the SOTA folks met, and the points gathered made the travels worth it. Best to all the Chasers out there who contributed contacts to the peak baggers.

PXL_20230721_205819469|663x500

4 Likes

Congrats on MG!! You kept a secret well…

2 Likes