10m working well today. I tried from 2 summits DM/RP302 & 311 and made the first 10m from there. Some good Es and groundwave from the Kalmit. No multi hop or TEP Maybe when I’m further South.
Thanks for the 20m s2s, Steve. No suitable 10m antenna with me today.
Unleash the mighty Antron
Just looked, worked DL8DXL Fred nr Dresden from Kalmit. Sounded groundwave? approx 450km
Hi Steve, 20 & 40m have also been good for across Europe contacts, the last couple of days. Not that the space weather suggests it’s possible! My suspecion would be Sporadic-E. But on 40m??
Here’s Jim G3YLA’s comments: http://www.propquest.co.uk/blog.php?date=2019-06-18
Hope to catch you on some summits en route to FN.
Certainly wasn’t my experience, yesterday.
I really struggled on 20m. Only DX was 4Z4. As Steve pointed out, maybe time to blow the cobwebs out of SOTA’s most successful DX antenna, the mighty Antron-99. Thanks for the s2s yesterday…
Conditions were strange yesterday, Mike. I could hear you quite well on 20m, perhaps it was Es. I’d have called you but I had a tip-off that ten was open so went prospecting there instead!
Not a problem, Brian. It’s unlikely I would have heard you anyway…
I’ll see if I can get out with my Antron A-99 next week as well, and give it a try on 10, 15 & 20m. Perhaps from Falkenstein?
Perhaps these conditions from the last three days are Central-Europe-centric? Sporadic-E is regional of course.
We’ve not seen any “real Sporadic-E” for about 4 years, when I was working into North America on 10m FM with no power. I’m unsure if the band will improve or not this year.
In fact, I did have the Antron-99 out on a HEMA summit three weeks ago, where I knocked off 68 EU contacts all 10m FM. Sadly, no DX. Of course, the mode is murder on the battery
All noted on your plans for next week. I’ll PM you…
Decent prop today DM/RP to GM GI & Cumbria. A few Southern G’s commented they could hear the GM chasers but not me. Scanned 10m on my 2nd summit, only signal was an Orkney station running a pileup … I couldn’t hear any chasers so gave up.
I’ve just heard that 40 degrees is expected here next week - perhaps I wont be going out in that. Of course the reliability of weather forecasting here is less than impressive, so they could be completely wrong (again). I’ll have to decide at short notice.
DL/AL-167 Falkenstein would be my target and as there is a 40m S9+60dB QRM generator in the hotel on the summit, this would only be a 20/15/10m SSB activation. It’s about a 90 minute drive from here and a 15 minute climb to the castle ruins on the summit.
Are you expecting a Föhn Ed?
I wish! - any wind with 40 degrees would be good!
As I said, I don’t have great confidence in the weather forecasting around here but any activation next week will need to be a quick decision and just go, propbably with no alert posted.
10m are well open today. Been copying UK, Belgium and Germany with good signals.
I encourage all activators to give 10m a try and I’ll be pleased to chase you.
Too much driving today Guru. I am now at the Ham radio evening meal qth. Will go out soon to the local summit.
Enjoy the party!
Andy (MM0FMF) is currently activating in HB0. He started on 20m CW but I didn’t copy him. Then he QSYed to 10m and I don’t copy him either. I don’t copy any of his chasers. Just a quiet frequency is all I have on 28.063 now.
But I had a CW QSO with G0AQL a few minutes before 11h30 on 28.027 with 599 signals both ways.
I also copied ON with 599 signal.
It looks like the path is not that open to HB (Noth-East of me)
I’ll keep trying.
Just returned from DM/BW-854 Guru, only 4 contacts on 10m, 2 X SV, 1 X HB9 & 1 X DL. Not many takers on 20m either. Probably too many activators on one hill for the chasers 73.