YO/EC-155 - Viscol - 2014.11.29 by YO8SEP/P

Viscol (romanian) = Blizzard (english)

We started our hike on Saturday aroung 07:40 UTC (9:40am local time).

The WX wasn’t great, with some temperature around -10C and freezing wind. The forecast was “Feels like -20 C”.

The clouds where down to about 1500m, but we had some nice views. There was snow on some areas.

After we got on the more exposed area, the wind started to blow harder and small branches were covered by ice.

The wind increased and it started to snow. When we got close to the evergreen forest, the wind wasn’t so hard and we gould enjoy the snowing. BIG FLAKES.

We arrived to the summit and XYL and others placed a GeoCache

The wind and snowing made activation impossible from the top of summit so I’ve descended a few meters to the nearby shelter and started to install my linked dipole antenna.

While others were getting a snack and a hot drink (tea), I’ve spotted myself and started to CQ SOTA :smile:

A few minutes later, after 2 QSO, @G6TUH came and told me I’ve spotted myself on wrong band (40m). He was kind enough to post another spot with the right freq. I’ve managed to get 51 QSO in a little over 30 minutes.

Then, we started our descent.

There was already some snow, about 10-20cm on some places.

It was a nice hike, about 20km, 7 hours, and most funny We hiked the summit named Blizzard on a blizzard.

Thank you to all chasers,
Petronel

1 Like

Hello Petronel,

I thought it was cold here this morning but nothing to your experience.

Thanks for the report and the very brrrrrrrrrr… photographs!

“A few minutes later, after 2 QSO, @G6TUH came and told me I’ve spotted myself on wrong band (40m). He was kind enough to post another spot with the right freq. I’ve managed to get 51 QSO in a little over 30 minutes.”

Yes I thought it strange the 40M spot so looked around on 20 and found you :wink:

Well done.

Mike

Yes, the mistake was because on the previous day I had problems with the 40m antenna and send a QRT spot on 40m.
The Rucksack Radio Tool app gets the summit id from GPS but forgot to check the freq.