Wire dipoles - knots in wire?

Ah cool, thanks.

I do have a roller coaster and twin cap tuner, but you would not want to be carrying that anywhere :smile:

Would need a kw or two to arc the dust out though by now probably.

Much the same thing as I do with my linked dipole. Figure 8 as a feedline, cheap as chips.

With the KX3 use a 1:1 balun, or when I take the KD1JV kit radio for a walk use my ZM2 coupler which has a balanced output.

Have made a few worthwhile DX contacts using this aerial.

Open wire type feeders can be very efficient.

Nearly forgot getting back to the original question, a few knots don’t seem to hurt.

Nick

Update:

Went out last night, and tuning wise the wire dipole was excellent.
I initially overshortened the wire folding it back, as I’d left an extra foot on the calculated length (prior to stripping and soldering etc) so first key up on 20m was an SWR of about 2 (using the 897D meter).
A quick scoot out a couple of times to adjust the clothes pegs and I got no indication of any SWR across the full all mode section of 20m.

Seemed to work OK, though I realised after I was 0.707x out on my pegging so the dipole was steeper than I’d intended.
Still worked a few, mostly Eu and heard a few stateside and worked one before scooting off home.

2 Likes

sounds like a keeper to me.
ian vk5cz …

1 Like

Here is the finished dipole ready for testing. After testing the small spool also carried the 4metres or so nylon cord on each dipole element to peg it out.

Close up on the feed point. Clearly not weatherproofed, just a test for me.
Tip of the day: Don’t bend the coax inner until AFTER soldering :smile:
Nylon cord was added to the top hole for attaching to the mast below.

This is the dipole in use. the coax following roughly down the mast, the dipole itself has the pegs on the wire fold backs for SWR tuning.

(The plate on the mast is a red herring. It is a 144MHz 9 ele DJ9BV mounting plate, and has a twin at the very top. This is a heavy ali scaffold pole, top section of my 2m contest mast, usually has 2 more beneath it.)