Who else has 5.3 MHz privileges? HB9 does starting Jan 1, 2017

I have the original 5MHz channels in memories labelled with their strange names. I have an attempt at the bizarre extra allocations in memories till I got bored. I have for each normal amateur band 2 CW and 2 SSB frequencies named so I can get to the centre of the CW DX or QRP working by selecting a memory then tuning from it. Hit the VFO/mem button to go back. That covers 99.999999% of activations.

On top I have Edinburgh airport Tower,Approach & ATIS frequencies. It’s amazing how far you can get from the airport and still clearly hear the ATIS channel. For LF propagation I have Shannon Volmet 5 & 8MHz frequencies and RAF Volmet 5 & 11MHz frequencies. If I want to know if 24/28 is open I have a listed down the beacon band or for a signal.

Having some local and “sort-of” local 5MHz big signals to check is excellent for seeing what 5MHz will be like. RAF Volmet is transmitted from near Blackpool (about 120 miles from my QTH) at 10kW and is further than NVIS range for me but needs F or E layer reflection to be heard loud. Many times when conditions are bad this station will be barely there. Other times it will be S9+ just by touching a pencil tip on the BNC input! I can hear RAF Volmet on 11MHz weakly 24/7, I assume ground wave. When it’s loud I’m assuming E layer reflection.

Shannon Volmet is 500km away and is a good inidcator for longer path 5MHz operation. The 8MHz signal is a good E indicator.

If you are interested in 60m work, then find some Volmet stations around 5MHz that will act as propagation beacons for your own location.

Shannon Volmet is further away

Yes, I was referring to the UK blocks. There are no banned frequencies in the 15 kHz WRC allocation - which is partly covered by one UK block but we still cannot access the rest AFAIK - but of course you would need to keep inboard of the HF end on SSB by your bandwidth plus the suggested 0.5 kHz for the narrow band weak signal guys, standard procedure of course.

My 817 and 857 both had an extra range on the bandswitch buttons (which I think were provided for general coverage use?) which can be used for 5 megs. The power reading on my external ATU show that there is no attenuation of the output if using this extra range for 5 megs.

Brian

The PDF for my license issued in March 2015 Say under note (g) which covers various conditions for 5 MHz:

(viii) The Licensee shall operate the Station only at the Main Station Address or at a Temporary Location within the United Kingdom.

That might mean that you cannot operate on 60m in other countries under CEPT.

[quote=“G0LGS, post:32, topic:14307”]That might mean that you cannot operate on 60m in other countries under CEPT.[/quote]…or that you can’t use it Maritime Mobile. The bands you can use while operating under CEPT are the ones permitted for CEPT visitors by the country you are visiting…

We`re in! :slight_smile:
BNetzA tolerates DL amateurs operating on 60m as from now. Who would have thought of that?
5351,5 – 5366,5 kHz / 15 W EIRP
Portabel operation permitted.

Ahoi,
Pom

Hooray!

WOW! - where did that come from ???

Thanks Pom!

Update:

Here’s the announcement (in German)

and a Google translation (announcement):
Release date 19.12.2016
The use of the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz may only be carried out by the holder of an authorization to participate in the class A amateur radio service. In this case, no interferences at radio stations of another radio service may be caused and there is no protection from interference by radio stations of other radio services.

Google Translation of PDF file:
2033/5000
Communication No 1699/2016
Amateur radio service; Use of the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz
The World Radio Conference 2015 of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has approved a secondary allocation in the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz for the amateur radio service. (AFuV), which allows the use of the abovementioned frequency range within the meaning of Section 5 (3) of the Amateurfunnengesetz (AFuG) and Article 9 (2) of the AFUV in the medium term , The use of the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz in the amateo slot shall be tolerated immediately with the consent of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) and the Federal Ministry of Defense (BMVg). The tolerated uses must comply with the following usage regulations. With the entry into force of the AFUV’s adaptation to the above decision of the 2015 World Radiocommunication Conference, this regulation becomes devoid of purpose.
Terms of use

1. The use of the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz may only be carried out by the holder of an authorization to participate in the class A amateur radio service. In this case, no interferences at radio stations of another radio service may be caused and there is no protection from interference by radio stations of other radio services.
  2. The maximum effective radiation power shall not exceed 15 watts EIRP.
  3. The maximum allowed bandwidth of a transmission must not exceed 2.7 kHz.
  4. When using the frequency range 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz, all other provisions of the AFuG and AFuV must be complied with.
    It is important to use this regulation sensitively, to avoid disturbances and to use the maximum power only when it is considered essential to maintain a radio connection or for experimental purposes.
    225-9

Love this authority language.

Hi Pom,
That’s actually the rule in general in ALL amateur radio licences across the world I believe (to only use as much power as is needed) - not that some contesters take note of it. I agree the Google translate is a little “odd” in places. I was considering improving it, but while it’s understandable as it is, I left it.

Now I need to go and build a 60 metre portable antenna …

73 Ed.

It is great to hear so many strong German stations on 5 megs!

Its worth noting that UK stations cannot use the segment 5.358 - 5.362, at least until Ofcom moves on adopting the new allocation - some time in the next hundred years, no doubt!:angry:

You want to loose all the additional bands and powers we have Brian just for a cruddy wee chunk with a restrictive power limitation just so you can do simplex DX? Really?

Did I say that? Did I even imply that? What I want is just the elimination of the 5358 to 5362 gap, with the rest staying as is, though ultimately it would be nice to have a band similar to that enjoyed by LA and OZ!

There are plenty of British stations using 5.358 - 5.362 MHz. They can be heard there on an almost daily basis, especially on JT65 mode. The main offenders are stations with callsigns that indicate they have been around for long enough to know much better!

By such careless operating, they are jeopardising their own licences … and worse, they are jeopardising the existing 5 MHz privileges for all of us. It seems they are tempted out of band to answer CQ calls from stations on the continent who are licensed to use the pan-European 15-watt allocation. Some are well out-of-band; others have just part of their signals extending above 5.358 MHz.

Walt (G3NYY)

Yes, Walt, I’ve heard them, too. The frustrating thing is that I value my licence too much to call those of them on SSB and tell them that they are out of band!

Hi Brian,
Am I right in thinking there is a common frequency between the current UK channels and the WRC 15 band 5354 KHz for (upper sideband)SSB and 5366-5366.5KHz for narrow band digital data modes but no overlap within the WRC bandplan for CW? Perhaps 5357-5358 KHz could be used for CW interworking between WRC15 and UK frequencies?

73 Ed.

Ed, CW is valid EVERYWHERE in all bandplans in all jurisdictions.

Only if you are dumb enough to use your own callsign. Use Ed’s callsign to tell them to move as he is licenced to use the bits they aren’t! :grin:

What is about these people that they cannot use split ops? They’re so desperate for DX on a new band that they do all this rubbish.

US stations have called using splits for years in contests so that they work Europeans who don’t have access above 7200kcs. There’s no problem for anyone to TX in the bits they can use and listen in the bits they can’t TX in. It just requires a modicum of clue to arrange in advance.

It certainly seems to crop up everwhere on 5 megs! Sometimes its a ruddy nuisance…:angry:

I think the problem with split is that the called station (for us the activator) has to be prepared to look for split calls.

Anyone using a band with such a diverse set of allocations who isn’t out calling “CQ blah blah” then later “CQ blah blah listening some other frequency” so they can work all the possible paths is being short-sighted.

This really isn’t rocket science you know.

The current segments in the UK are 5.354 - 5.358 and 5.362 - 5.3745. These are in the all modes section of the IARU bandplan (5MHz - Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site)

Maybe it isn’t rocket science, but there is a lot of band to tune to cover all the possibilities, an activator may well decide that after running through his pile-up, his time could be used more profitably by a QSY to another band. I mean, its like some of your recent activations where you stuck to CW rather than plugging in the mic and checking for possible SSB callers!:wink: