Who else has 5.3 MHz privileges? HB9 does starting Jan 1, 2017

Starting Jan 1, 2017, Switzerland will have 60m / 50.3 MHz privileges:

Schweiz Freigabe 60m Band

(sorry, it’s in German, but you can see the frequencies available):
5351.5 – 5354.0 kHz: CW, small-band modes
5354.0 – 5366.0 kHz: all modes *
5366.0 – 5366.5 kHz: small-band modes for weak signals
*) For SSB use USB

I’m curious – which other countries currently have 60m privileges?

Also, will this be a good band for SOTA? Should we be proactive and set up 60m SOTA frequencies for various modes? Or perhaps they already exist??

73, Happy Holidays
Paul HB9DST / AA1MI

Paul, G4MWO issues the 5 MHz newsletter. Check Dropbox - No. 17 The 5 MHz Newsletter 17 Summer & Autumn 2016.pdf - Simplify your life.
There is a wiki at 60-meter band - Wikipedia

73, Hans PB2T

This tells you which countries can use which frequencies on 60m: 60 metre band

The splintered nature of 60m allocations make anything except local arrangements impossible. The database shows 192 activators with scores on 60m, and 393 chasers.

Brian

60m was an “Activation saver” in the early days of SOTA when Full licence holders in the UK were allowed access under notice of variation to their licences. It is well suited to near vertical incidence communications (ie antennas lower than optimum so sending signals upwards) and seemed to perform when 80m and 40m failed to do so. I recall working a TF from a summit (with ease) so it is OK for medium haul communications too.

hi

we got 60m band open for all OH hams on last Friday (9/12/2016)! A bit earlier that we expected :+1:

5351,5–5366,5 kHz and max power 15 W eirp

73 Marko oh9xx oh3xr

As a 60m enthusiast I’m really pleased to have two more European countries join the fun. Once the FCC abandon their now medieval-seeming channels in the USA I think the band will really take off!

Experience shows that a dipole or doublet at about 8 metres high works very well for NVIS and, as Barry says above, will be good for medium haul, too - from Switzerland, for example, most of Europe will be workable.

Brian

Hi Paul,
Unfortunately nothing yet even predicted in Germany. I suppose this could be a reason to head south to do some 60 metre work, I’m sure I can through together a dipole easily enough (I already have gear that is 60m capable).

Just checking - is portable operation on 60 metres allowed as well as home stations - and what about under CEPT - ie can HB9/DD5LP/P operate 60m from a SOTA summit?

73 Ed DD5LP.

Hi Ed,
I don’t believe there are any restrictions, but this is an uninformed guess. I’d like to hear from somebody with expertise in such areas such as Hans PB2T (former IARU Region 1 President).

In general the rules of the host country apply.
As far as I can see there is no a special permit required for Swiss amateurs, so full license holders can use this band when visiting Switzerland.

73, Hans PB2T

Hello Paul

Belgium has a fairly recent 60m allocation, as per WRC-15. Possible frequencies for SSB are: 5354, 5357, 5360 and 5363kHz. For SOTA I tend to use 5354 as this frequency coincides with a UK allocation so you will have a few chasers guaranteed. Propagation beacons on 5290 will give you some idea which parts of the UK can be reached.

I use a link dipole 40m/60m in inverted V configuration, the apex is about 6m up on a fiber mast.

Welcome to 60m and good luck on SOTA!

73, Phil ON4TA

Thanks Hans, Thanks Paul.

I looked through the linked documents and found no portable operation restrictions. I asked this as in Germany 50MHz (and 70MHz when we have it for testing) is not allowed from a portable location.

73 Ed.

Still is a lifesaver, Barry. In the limited time I had today, I’ve nabbed 3 SOTAs on 60m, where 40m, with the long skip and contest would certainly have failed.

I think you will find that the more restrictive condition of your own (German) licence may apply but that needs to be checked

Hi Barry,
I don’t think it does - but if it does, I can always use either my UK (G8GLM) or Aussie (VK2JI) licence under CEPT as well!

In general, as has been said, the local regulations apply under CEPT 61/01. So availability of 60 metres in Switzerland without any NoV - as far as I can see, also applies to (full licence) visitors from other CEPT countries.

73 Ed.

In some countries the 60m band is not available to visiting HAMS under CEPT T/R 61/01 even though the band is allocated locally. I believe this is the case in the UK where the NoV no longer applies and 60m is available to UK full license holders only.
In Ireland (EI) the 60m band is not available to visiting hams under CEPT T/R 61/01, only to EI licensees who have paid an extra fee to use the band.
That’s my understanding so far as I would love to use 60m on SOTA when visiting the UK and EI in 2017.
73, Phil ON4TA

Thanks Phil, it looks like some more investigation is required then. Probably in the UK an NoV was required when Ofcom signed up to CEPT 61/01 (which it seems, isn’t the case in Switzerland) - an NoV was probably only allocateable to a UK station address and hence would exclude CEPT visitors at the time. Whether the CEPT agreement has been updated, I’ll need to take a look.

73 Ed.

Barry,

As I tried to explain: the rules of the host country apply. It’s like driving a car. When we come to the UK we are expected to drive on the left. When you come to the continent you are expected to drive on the right.

73, Hans PB2T

Hi Paul

Best is to ask Peter, HB9CET or directly BAKOM. The links provided in the announcement do not mention 60 m yet.

73 de Dominik, HB9CZF
PS: I have not tried if my KX3 & tuner can match my 13.1 m long inverted L on 60m.

Hi Dominic,
Not really an issue for me – it’s more for our visitors.

Not if you have been out of the UK for 3months.