What to do when it all goes wrong

Morning Brian,

No what I was thinking was more ‘keeping it in the family’ - so to speak - in that if you have taken all the time to carryout your pre-planning to include a Route Plan such as created in Memory Map (.mno file) in my case, this could reside on the Website along with your Alert. If it should be required it’s there and possibly linking into the Mapping Project if you convert it to the common .gpx format.

I know the SMT are busy with lots of more pressing items, but as I said it’s just food for thought and indeed Rob DM1CM might be able to ‘nest’ this with the SMP?, but like the SMT he’s busy with the excellent improvements to the Project.

Cheers agn

Jack(;>J

20 - 40 min of walking every day should keep the back muscles in shape with some other benefits to the general health. The walking is in addition to what ever other sports you are doing - like SOTA activation in this case. Just need to organize the daily life in such a way that you can take the 20 - 40 minutes from the 24 hours for walking.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Thanks Jaakko. I normally do 15mins intensive rowing every morning as well as my SOTA activities. That has stopped until things are better. I have some stretching exercises I am doint which make an amazing difference to how I feel. The state today compared to 7 days ago is again a vast improvement. I’ll be doing the stretching and slowly start with some local walking as I get better.

Good to hear your getting better. The more you get flexible the quicker you can duck out the way when Mrs FMF chucks something at you. :smiley:

If a woman chucks something at you, the worst thing you can do is duck out of the way - she is more likely to hit you!

Brian

Came across this today, might be of interest to a few folk.

1 Like

Are there any cost for rescuing someone that used a PLB in the UK?

google mainly talks about the US or Switzerland.

No, not for the person rescued (which is what I think you’re asking). Definitely costs for the organisation(s) involved though.

Therefore I would ‘suggest’ a moral responsibility to donate to voluntary organisations such as mountain rescue that help you

1 Like

thanks for the info!

I was in a UK MR team for about ten years (Before Children and a a change of Job made call-outs impossible). What was interesting is that either the casulties were very generous raising money for the team, or almost pretended that their rescue didn’t happen! I must admit that money raised made the job easier with kit that was (a bit like SOTA) lighter and more effective. Most MR members were enthusiastic walkers and climbers who did their bit for other people and (Like SOTA) liked to spend their time on a mountainside but carrying a stretcher and oxygen rather than a rig and a mast!

1 Like

it is indeed an amazing help and commitment

In the States here I’ve have great success using GMRS (462 Mhz 5W) radio to keep in touch with the wife when out of mobile phone range, either simplex to campsite or via repeater back to home, or even ham operator relay to GMRS repeater to home. Helps that we have a great repeater and many dual licensed ops in my general activating area. I know in Europe this wouldn’t be as practical with PMR or CB, but here, with XYL who will likely never become amateur, it is perfect.