W0 Association Update

Slightly later than expected but…

I delighted to announce a major update to the W0 Association has taken place. We’ve gone from 7 regions and 224 summits to 18 regions and 1791 summits, that’s an addition of 1567 new summits.

This was a substantial amount of work in preparation of the ARM and other documents never mind researching for suitable summits in the first place. On top of that we’ve tried to verify as far a possible that the summits have P150 prominence and the positions quoted are accurate. The sheer number of CPU cycles expended rendering and verifying all that data is immense.

The database, Sotawatch Spots & Alerts and the Sotawatch summits lists have all been updated. The updated ARM will be available shortly.

Thanks to everyone on the MT for their effort on this and also to Steve WG0AT and Guy N7UN for finding the initial summits, preparing the ARM and data files used. If I’ve missed anyone then accept my apologies.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager

In reply to MM0FMF:

Is there going to be a new region added that will be W0/RF-xxx? WS0TA was active on peaks there on Aug 6. Thanks.

Phil, NS7P

In reply to NS7P:

Do you mean RG? The RG region was the last to be added and was missing from the database last Saturday. The spot shows WS0TA on RG-004 indirectly.

Sat 17:52 WS0TA on W0/SJ-001 14.0606 cw
KT5X on W0/RG-004 New summit. Not yet in database. (Posted by N4EX)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
That was probably it. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the great work.
Phil, NS7P

WS0TA was definitely on RG-004, in fact, Sunshine Peak and Redcloud Peak in reverse order. I was certainly appreciative to have the peaks added soon enough to be included during the Ham-Fourteener Day event. I did 8,000 ft of ascent that day!

TU & 73, Fred - kt5x

In reply to NS7P:

Hey Phil,

Great to have you call me for 16 chaser points on my Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012 campover activation last week. To be honest, I did not recognise your callsign as that of a SOTA chaser when you called me at 1635z on the Tuesday! And stupidly, I very nearly sent “ALREADY IN LOG” when you called me at 0016z on the Wednesday! I just realised in time that it was a new day!

There was also VA2SG, N4EX, VE2JCW, and several other known SOTA enthusiasts in the log, so nice that the North Americans are watching SOTAwatch and giving the activators a call when heard.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom,

It was my pleasure. I don’t hear EU SOTA stations too often, but I try to work them when I can. It is hard from the US west coast. Thanks for all of your SOTA work.

Phil, NS7P

In reply to KT5X:

Fred,

I rechecked my log, and I had entered them as RG-002 and RG-004. That’s what I get for relying on my memory! Thanks for all of your activations. I will start to activate some peaks very soon myself.

Phil, NS7P

In reply to M1EYP:
Tnx for 2 qso phil :slight_smile: es tnx for many qso …
GL

Jean VE2JCW