VK1 on 2.4 GHz

For the first time in VK1, four enthusiastic SOTA activators will soon be heading for the hills for a four-way 2.4 GHz S2S extravaganza.

Given the great success of 23cm take up in and around VK1, a small group of activators have taken a step up to 2.4 GHz. As a group we have purchased four SG-Lab 13cm transverters.

We already have two locals on 2.4 GHz the addition of four SG-Lab units will help activators qual on 2.4GHz.

Additional take up on 23cm 1296 MHz is expected in the coming weeks. VK1 will soon be the ‘capital’ of VK SHF SOTA activations. :wink:

73 Andrew VK1AD

8 Likes

Damn! They’re ahead of DM! :wink:

Hi Andrew,

Though you might be interested in our SOTA 13cms endeavours in GM - HERE. We’ve been having great results and fantastic on FM. Looking forward to this coming summer when we’ll all be back out on the hills.

Enjoy es GL

Jack(;>J
GM4COX

Excellent stuff Andrew. I am particularly interested in reading of comparisons between stations working the same path on 1.3 and 2.3 GHz especially when the signals are starting to get weaker and not so LOS. Will there be anaomloies were 2.3 beats 1.3 for similar antenna gain etc. So I am looking forward to reading of yours and the others exploits.

The double double quad for 2.3 is about the same size as the double quad for 1.3 and from my simple tests here using Spectran and our local 2.3 beacon, I can see around 3dB more signal using my double double over the double.

Thanks Andy. I have started construction of a 20el 13 cm DL6WU yagi plus a double quad, which I have already made the reflector and feedline, just finishing the radiator. Okay I will examine the dimensions of the double double. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, tell me, what is the the output frequency into your rig? Where did you get the transverters from. I saw your stet-up in one Wade’s videos when he went out with you. Looks all very interesting.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Geoff

The output frequency from my FT-817 into the 13cm transverter will be 435.150 SSB for a transverter output on 2403.150, VK SSB frequency.

For the 23cm unit the 817 output is 144.150 SSB for ops on 1296.150 SSB. The 817 output power setting is at the minimum, 500 mW. The transverter’s input signal detection circuit is adjustable up to a maximum of 5 watts RF input. Transverter output power is 2.5 watts at 13.8 volts.

The company is SG-Lab in Bulgaria. Google SG-Lab. Each transverter model has a range of configurable LO options.

Have a squizz at my blog posts

and

73 Andrew VK1AD

Thanks Jack I will follow the group with interest.

73 Andrew VK1AD

Sign me up

My 2.4GHz gear needs a good run

Thanks Phil, I will keep you posted on the planned VK1 2.4 GHz gig. :slight_smile:

For those interested in antenna construction, I just finished adding the final touches to a homebrew 2.4 GHz Bi-Quad antenna.

73 Andrew VK1AD