SOTA Weekend in the Lake District - is this something you'd be interested in?

I regularly travel over from Scarborough for daily LD activations and sometimes stay over on short breaks for a few days so a two day event would certainly be ideal for me. There are so many summits to choose from that I don’t mind whereabouts you hold the evening social. It has the potential of being a great event with many opportunities for local s2s contacts as well as the dx.

Cheers
Nick

I’m looking forward to seeing the infamous lucky anvil.
Looks like I’m going to have to save up my brownie points for an overnight stay :innocent:. Maybe even bring my tent to enhance the experience (if not the atmosphere around me).
Only 22 more unactivated summits in LD; which to choose :thinking:

Thoughts on 27/28th April 2019 as a potential date?

sounds like fun. How many LD summits have been activated in one day before? Imagine if a chaser could complete the LD region in a day.

1 or 2 days allows for people to do either based on their available time.

I’m interested

Yes - Very Interested!

One thing to mention for those who do not know is that it is difficult to get a one night weekend booking in the hotspots of the Lake District. Many managers/proprietors tend to turn you down when you ask for a one night booking in places like Ambleside and Keswick when you try to book one night on a weekend. I am interested in taking part if the diary allows and would likely stay overnight. I am already booked into Glaramara Lodge, Seatoller, Borrowdale for a 3 night break from March 29th - April 1st and will no doubt activate a few summits then on the 2m band when I am leading walks for our walking group.

73 Phil

Bunk barns are cheep and basic but allow bookings on a per night basis. I have stayed in the buttermere barn. Just a short walk from 2 pubs for food, drink and a Wi-Fi signal.

I’ve yet to stay in Black Sails Hut but this may be the opportunity I’ve been looking for.

Blackpool Rally weekend?

EDIT:

Nothing in my diary for that weekend yet. I would just comment that it’s the week after Easter so it might be busy :slightly_frowning_face:

That weekend doesn’t look TOO bad for contests either:

OK, so the rally wasn’t in my diary yet, it is now!
Looks like that might be a non-starter for a lot of folk, so let me have another think…

Mark.
M0NOM

With activations in mind, statistically May is the month with the lowest average monthly rainfall and lowest average number of rain days in the Lake District.

OK, an alternative, 18-19th May.

You are right - May is typically one of the driest months in the Lake District and you are benefiting from almost the longest days as well. Had some great evenings on SOTA summits here in May.

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

18/5 sounds good to me

18th & 19th May is my weekend off so good for me.

73 Chris M0RSF

18th is the May 2m contest weekend so I may well be unavailable. That’s hard luck for me as it sounds likely to be good fun in LD. The problem is that there are so many established events now fitting on anything new is a real problem. You have to pick one date and this is probably a good one, 2m contests excluded. :slight_smile:

To quote that well known monk, John Lydgate,
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”
Or maybe… Inspector Clouseau,
“There is a time and a place for everything, Cato! …and this is it!!”

I can’t commit at this stage but I’d certainly be extremely interested in something like this event!

I haven’t really been keeping up with the recent developments within SOTA, I’ve been busy moving house. I’m now living in Bentham, an hour nearer to the Lake District than before. My local summits are Arnside Knott and Hutton Roof Crags.

It seems that the last weekend in April is always a popular date for events and I struggle to take part as it’s my wedding anniversary, XYL’s birthday and my birthday all within a few days around then! I’m secretly (well not so secretly, since I’ve just typed it!) hoping that you go with the later date :slight_smile:

73, Colin
Bentham, North YORKSHIRE (Just :laughing:)
IO84RC

I’m interested but wondered if the weekend before might work. May 11 and 12.

Paul M0SNA/W6PNG