SOTA photos

I like the SOTA photos in Flickr, but it may be good idea to make some preselection before sending all the photos there. I see that many of the photos have the same content and only the position or angle of camera has changed between the shots. Preselection would also leave more bandwidth to the other users. The other more general point is that we all see huge number of images in internet and TV daily so some filtering is good idea in this flush of information.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Hi Jaakko

I fully agree with your view. I had hoped to manage the SOTA Flickr group with a very light touch and so far this has been very successful - I have only had to remove one inappropriate item. I agree that some action is necessary, so as a temporary measure I will reduce the group posting limit to 20 photos/month. I will also post some guidelines on the group.

Thanks for your posting and I hope you continue to enjoy the Fickr SOTA group.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW4BVE:

Hi John,

I totally agree with your comments. I feel that an average summit should generally “generate” no more than three or four selected shots, maybe six at most. I upload my photos mainly to show prospective activators what they can expect from the summit and the access route, though there are occasions when more personal shots are appropriate. I don’t get many of the latter as I’m usually unaccompanied. However the new camera does have a decent timer and video facilities, so I might try to put something together for YouTube once I’ve had a practice.

73, Gerald

I fail to see any problem with the way the system was setup. You look at the thumbnails and only click the ones which interest you. If you see a large number of pictures that appear the same, then don’t click on them. I have no idea as to what people find interesting and tend to upload a selection and leave the viewer to select what interests them.

People who don’t walk up the hills only get to see what is presented. If we are to impose limits on the number of photographs then perhaps we can prune the entire SOTA collection to show just the following:

1 Car park, 1 footpath (gravel), 1 footpath (muddy), 1 footpath (grassy), 1 hill (rocky), 1 hill (heather), 1 hill (snowy), a rainy day, a sunny day, a cloudy day, someone in shorts, someone in snowgear, someone in wet weather gear, 1 FT817, 1 K2, 1 K1, 1 homebrew rig, 1 antenna (dipole) 1, antenna (longwire), 1 antenna (vertical), 1 trig point (Hotine pyramid), 1 trig point (cylinder), 1 trig point (stone). Plus some of the European summit markers.

That makes about 30 pictures in total needed which will be a significant bandwidth saving and we can delete the 1700 or so pictures people have spent time selecting and uploading!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Wot, no-one in a bikini?

In reply to G4OIG:

I have posted some guidelines on the group. I have also suggested that photos can be uploaded to the user’s personal photostream and made public, but only selected shots sent to the SOTA group. The photos will then still be available, if anyone particularly wants to explore every detail of that subject, by accessing the member’s photostream directly.

I think the major problem is posting photos that are only minor variations of the same subject.

Let’s see how it goes.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to F5VGL:

As I said earlier, a valid point Jaakko, but I do wonder why it has only just been raised and why not a long time ago, because it would appear that large volumes of photos have always been the norm, not by everyone I hasten to add !!
Maybe I’m just a little upset because this thread started not long after my photos were uploaded, still no harm done, hi.

Having looked back through the Flickr website and trawled through the many sets of photos, I really didn’t need to apologise for my few photos so I have decided to remove my earlier post.

I always appreciate viewing the photos and look forward to many more.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

Having looked back through the Flickr website and trawled through the
many sets of photos, I really didn’t need to apologise for my few
photos so I have decided to remove my earlier post.

Fine photos from you. My comment was more general and I was not pointing anyone in particular.

Thanks to John GW4BVE for the clarifications. I have seen some really nice photos there, but in past they disappeared too soon from the main page.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Thanks Jaakko, I thought that was the case after carefully looking through the Flickr site again.
It was just a pure coincidence that I had uploaded some photos just prior to your post.
I can’t disagree with your view and/or comments and I’m sure that John has taken the right steps to sort the problem out for everyone’s benefit.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I wasn’t criticising anyone for uploading lots of photos, just giving an opinion on how I see the use of the site. As you say, an FT817 looks like… well, an FT817. An arrangement of bits of kit may be interesting (rig, ATU, linear, etc) and I do have one or two in my photos. Summits are different though and some idea of the experience on the day should be of interest to others - unless it’s my non-view of Rhialgwm where you can see very little!

Anyway, who has time to shoot a load of photos? Often has been the case that I have been rushing to the next summit and only remembered to take photographs when I’m half way down the hill! (I feel a comment from Richard CWI coming on).

73, Gerald

P.S. In your list you forgot to include photos of the local wildlife - there Richard, I do notice what is around me!

In reply to GW4BVE:
I like the SOTA photos in Flickr, but it may be good idea to make some preselection before sending all the photos there. I see that many of the photos have the same content and only the position or angle of camera has changed between the shots. Preselection would also leave more bandwidth to the other users. The other more general point is that we all see huge number of images in internet and TV daily so some filtering is good idea in this flush of information.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Post by GW4BVE on 19th June 2007 at 09:54
In reply to F5VGL:

Hi Jaakko

I fully agree with your view. I had hoped to manage the SOTA Flickr group with a very light touch and so far this has been very successful - I have only had to remove one inappropriate item. I agree that some action is necessary, so as a temporary measure I will reduce the group posting limit to 20 photos/month. I will also post some guidelines on the group.

Thanks for your posting and I hope you continue to enjoy the Fickr SOTA group.

73 John GW4BVE

When im out in the hills/mountains i take some photos for my pleasure and let others see what i can see.
Now that a selected few stations dont like what we are doing with our selfs, Up on the hills, And doing nothing but moan, So ive now decided to take my photos off. So no one else can see them, I will have to keep my photos to my self and only my self,
To all whom ive have photos with ive still got them in folders (on computor)so if you need them let me know and i’ll forward them on to you.
That why im not doing as many summits as i did a few years ago, to many stations moaning and groaning, if i want moaning and groaning i might as well stay at home with her in doors.

Steve m0sgb

Enjoyed the post Steve - it made me smile!

In reply to M0SGB:

Have to say I find myself agreeing a lot with what you say Steve. I didn’t see any problem either. Like you Steve, I didn’t want to have any “guilt by association” with the complaints, so I pulled all my photos when this thread started.

No summit activations this weekend, got to go to the best radio rally in the world! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

I guess not taking a camera will cut down on what I am carrying

Quote “We couldn’t find any photos about F5VGL in the SOTA pool.”

In reply to MM0FMF:

Like you Steve, I didn’t want to have

any “guilt by association” with the complaints, so I pulled
all my photos when this thread started.

Andy
MM0FMF

How sickening and disappointing to hear this dreadful news of photo removal from you Andy FMF, Steve SGB and now also Steve AAV.

I really wish people would stop and think of the consequences of their whinging, prior to posting potentially offensive remarks on the reflector.
I have looked for some photos from the originator of this thread, with a view to find an example of what is a reasonable amount photographically, but I can’t seem to find any entries from him !!!

I always enjoy ALL photos, as do the majority of other viewers I should imagine, especially images of the summit ascents/descents, trigs, antenna set ups, radio equipment etc, especially the pictures from our many friends in overseas associations.

Those of us who can’t get up the “big” GM summits, or any other summits for that matter, will now miss out on what they look like from the activators viewpoint.
Also these photos give a rough idea of what to expect to the first time activator for each summit.

I would ask you all to re-consider and please put your photos back on Flickr so that those of us who appreciate and enjoy viewing what we can’t go and see for ourselves, can share your summit views.
If you decide against putting them back on, would you email any new ones to me?

73 to all Mike GW0DSP

I would ask you all to re-consider and please put your photos back on
Flickr so that those of us who appreciate and enjoy viewing what we
can’t go and see for ourselves, can share your summit views.

Hear, hear… I liked 'em

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I would ask you all to re-consider and please put your photos
back on
Flickr so that those of us who appreciate and enjoy viewing what
we
can’t go and see for ourselves, can share your summit views.

Hear, hear… I liked 'em

I agree with Mike & Marc…

73 Barry M3PXW

In reply to GW7AAV:
Your right Steve, cound’nt find any thing to do with F5VGL in flickr/sota page. dos’nt matter now ive pulled my photos from the site, what with every one whinging, moaning and groaning, i might as well go train spotting, will get loads of numbers that way,
You get stations that dont spot you any more!
you get stations that get 4 qso’s and run!
you get stations that use Handheld!
you get stations that work qrp power! 1/2 watt
you get stations that just work one band!
i might as well sit in the shack keeping warm, and give other stations a call, if im out and about any time i will just use a handheld, and follow suit of 4 and run, if dont get the 4 do’snt matter these days,
Just as long as i enjoy my walk,

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

And you never moan about anyone or anything Steve?

Enjoy your walking

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW4BVE:
Just following foot steps,
Only because no one else will say anything
Steve m0sgb