Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA on Tour 3

Saturday 8th December 2018 - The Cloud G/SP-015

Gig: Ragdolls
Venue: Chateau Impney Hotel, Droitwich

Droitwich was a word I first learned when I got into short wave radio listening and started looking up BBC World Service transmitter sites. The only feasible transmitter site between Macclesfield and there was the summit of The Cloud.

I managed to get up and down the hill within a short break in the otherwise heavy rain, and make four QSOs on 2m FM. I then resumed the drive to Worcestershire for the night’s work with the Frankie Valli & Four Seasons tribute show “The Ragdolls”.

Sunday 9th December 2018 - Billinge Hill G/SP-017 & Winter Hill G/SP-010

Gig: Joe Longthorne
Venue: Viva Blackpool

Why wouldn’t you want to visit this delight of the SOTA scheme? Well the above photo might be a clue.

Quick walk to the summit, 2m FM with the handheld, nice S2S to Red Screes G/LD-017 with Mike G7HEM/P, four QSOs, then off to work.

The usual ‘variety show’ style opening to the show didn’t happen, so it was just the stand-up comedian then Joe. So work for the night was finished before 10pm and I had plenty of time to do a “double-bubble” activation on Winter Hill.

I enjoyed getting above the fog and going for a late night wander along the service road under starlight - and of course the red lights of the very tall mast. My fingers didn’t enjoy the biting cold though!

Just using the handheld, I made 4 QSOs on 2m - 3 on FM and 1 on C4FM.

Monday 10th December 2018 - Winter Hill G/SP-010

Well, no gig to append to this one, though I guess I was still on the way home from the last gig! A very early morning activation with four QSOs on 2m FM.

Tuesday 11th December 2018 - The Cloud G/SP-015 & Gun G/SP-013

Gig: Joe Longthorne
Venue: Bellavista Restaurant, Milnrow

Billy Whizz today!

Two summits activated within the hour, 42 minutes apart. Total of 7 minutes operating - 3 minutes and 4 minutes respectively - on 2m FM, total of 11 QSOs (5 & 6 respectively).

The journey to work near Rochdale was a total contrast. 3.5 hours to drive 41 mlies. Awful.