SOTA on Arran

The Camb Hams annual DX-pedition to a Scottish Isle this year will be May 1st to 8th on the Isle of Arran.

There are 10 SOTA summits on the island, several of which have never been activated. We hope to manage a few SOTA activations, exactly what happens will depend on the weather and various other main station requirements.

So keep a lookout for us operating as GS3PYE and GS6PYE/P plus some of our own calls with the extra “m”.

It is also likely that Gav (M1BXF) and I will be active from the Dumbarton area in the week before the main expedition.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

Hope you get better weather than we got in March (50cm snow on goat fell and if you find my log up there then I’d appreciate it as it was las seen aiming for canada). I’m looking at it this morning and the whole island is covered in a haze but there isn’t a bit of wind and its been a balmy 22c on barassie beach. Hope it stays like that for our visit and I’ll be listening out.

Alex, g7kse (occasionally with an extra m)

I have fond memories of tramping around Arran learning geology a few decades ago. It wasn’t quite as wet as Mull, but I’m sure we were rained on at least once every day, and on one occasion the gale was so ferrocious that we stayed in and studied geology in the bar all day. I’ve a feeling that was the occasion we had to stay an extra day or two waiting for the ferry to sail…