SOTA Information session at Ham Radio 2018

SOTA Program for Ham Radio Friedrichshafen 2018
Saturday June 2, 2018, from 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. in the “Österreich” meeting room
by Dr. Jürg Regli, HB9BIN

HamAlert – Chasing and Completing SOTA (and DX) Efficiently
by Manuel Kasper, HB9DQM

HamAlert is a free cloud-based notification system that takes spots from the DX cluster, the Reverse Beacon Network, PSK Reporter and SOTAwatch, lets you filter them by many criteria, and sends you a push notification, email or SMS immediately when a matching spot appears. In this presentation, the features and use of HamAlert will be explained.

FT8 and SOTA: Is FT8 a good mode for SOTA, or are there too many kW of HF in a 2.7-kHz segment?

FT8 is very effective for worldwide QRP communication on the HF bands. But there are only a few SOTA activators and chasers who are using it. I have been one of them and would like to pass along what I have learned.

by Dr. Jürg Regli, HB9BIN

A question/answer session with Andy MM0FMF from the SOTA Management Team

An accident waiting to happen
by Geert Paulides, PA7ZEE

Taking two actual cases that happened during SOTA activations, this talk will discuss the real cause of these accidents – some call them incidents. The purpose of this lecture is to change the culture within SOTA so that we all will report about what happened and we all can benefit. The difference between an accident and an incident? Just luck!

A SOTA Cycling Tour of DL – OE – I
by Jakob Strickler, DK3CW

A SOTA Road trip through Eastern Europe and the Balkans
by Paul Schreier, HB9DST

During a period of 26 days, two Swiss SOTA activators drove more than 5000 miles to activate summits in 14 countries as far northeast as Ukraine and as far south as Greece.

„SOTA with children– lifestyle”
by Emil Bergmann, DL8JJ

I look forward to seeing you once again at the fourth SOTA information session at Ham Radio.
Juerg Regli, HB9BIN

2 Likes

Tnx Juerg, I will be there waiting for Paul’s presentation and not only.

Hi Juerg,
I will try to attend if I can get time free from my reporting duties. Your piece on FT8 I find especially interesting and in case I don’t get there, let me put a question now. Why for SOTA don’t we chose a different frequency to the standard frequency and use the DXPedition mode with Fox=Activator and Hounds=chasers?

73 Ed.

No hard questions please… I’m on vacation! :smile:

I should have a small number of items of SOTA merchandise with me. Sadly I have a limited luggage allowance but I will try to bring small things like enamel badges, embroidered badges, stickers etc. Maybe some hats and flags if I have space.

1 Like

Good idea Andy and therefore no hard questions :grinning:
cu in FN
Geert PA7ZEE

Hi Ed
The answer is simple: We do not need a SOTA-QRG for FT8, because almost nobody is using FT8 in the SOTA program! That is what I have learned after 6 activations with FT8!
73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

OK so your segment at FN is to see if people can be motivated to try the mode? I guess it needs to be those further away because of skip distance, (e.g. I can’t normally contact anyone in Switzerland from here on 20 or 40m). Or are we considering VHF as well - that could work well around DACH.

Ed.