Sign of the times

Sorting through my photos from last weeks GI SOTA visit, I’m still trying to fathom out why anyone would ever set a speed limit as below.
This was taken at the Wolf Bog wind farm at the approach to GI/AH-008, Big Colin.
I’ve seen speed limits of 15, 20, 25, 30 etc. but what on earth is the thinking here?
I expect it’s just an Irish thing :grinning:
(also note, yet again, the typical GI sunshine)
Report to follow.

19mph = 30kmh

Yes it may 30kph but 19mph is just priceless and of course Irish.
Jim

I wonder if there is some EU reccommendations that the top speed for vehicles is 30kph and there is some bureaucracy that makes it harder to use an off the shelf 20mph sign (32kph) than to have custom 19mph signs made.

That or someone with no feel for numbers was told to organise the signs and did a literal job.

I believe this is something to do with them changing the law to set speed limits in kph but forgetting that the law also says that speed limit signs must be in mph.

I also seem to remember that they put up a whole load of “xxxkm to place blah” signs and had to take them down again because of a similar law that said distance signs must be in yards or miles.

Colin

Jobs worth dialogue - you have to limit the speed to 30kph - but we don’t work in km here only mph - OK well do it in mph - fine I’ll get it done - 19mph

For non UK folk - “jobs worth” is an expression describing people who in their jobs follow the rule book to the letter.
Jim

"…and of course Irish"
What does this mean?
Mike

There is much drivel in this thread.

Speed limit signs on public roads in the ROI are all in km/h … and have been so for years.
However, the 19 mph sign is in Northern Ireland, which still conforms to UK traffic laws.

Useful information here:
http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/speed.html

Walt (G3NYY)

Pegwyn Mawr GW/MW-006 is also limited to 19mph. Sorry, no photo.

Rod

Well, have you not enjoyed the Irish comedians such as Jimmy Cricket, Ardal O’Hanlon, Dara Ó Briain, Brendan_O’Carrol and many others, all of whom would extol such.

Hi All

It’s all down to Elfin Safety. These “odd” speed limits are often found on construction or industrial sites - 8 mph for motorway roadworks is a common one, but I’ve also encountered 9, 11 and 14 - theory is because of their unusualness they are more likely to be noticed and heeded. The jury’s out on that one…

73 de Paul G4MD

When I was back in Ireland a few years ago I hired a car in Dublin, only problem was the speedo only showed kmh and did not have the inner one in mph as you sometimes get. When I got to GI land I was lost as the only one I remember was 80kmh = 50mph. Other than that I was guessing.

The other driving rule that freaked me out was in Australia you can only park on the side in the direction of the traffic flow. get to Ireland people coming towards you see a parking spot on my side and come straight across the road in front of you to grab it. It get the heart racing a bit as you think you are going to have a head on accident.

Liked the sign though.

73 John VK6NU

I had to smile at that John. When I was driving down a single vehicle width road with passing places in Southern Scotland, I saw a vehicle approaching and as there was a passing place between us on the left side of the road that was closer to the oncoming vehicle, I expected the car to pull up opposite the passing place and wait for me to drive into it. No, far from it, the lady driver swung her vehicle into the passing place leaving the straight length of road free for me to pass by, though technically I was on the wrong side of the road. Now that’s what I call being courteous, but it did blow my mind a little at the time!

73, Gerald G4OIG